Does US Green Card holder require transit visa to take connecting flight via UK London Heathrow

High5

Registered Users (C)
Hi.

I have US green card issued by USCIS. The green card was issued for 10 years. The green card has expired and I have filed for green card renewal with USCIS. As part of renewal process, USCIS service center has put the 6 month extension sticker to my expired green card and my travel plan is within the 6 month extension period.

I was wondering if I need to get a transit visa for UK while taking a flight via London Heathrow airport travelling from US to India via London and returning to US via same route. Will just carrying my passport and US Green Card with extension sticker be enough to transit via London Heathrow. My layover in London is less than 5 hours.

I will appreciate your help with sharing your experience.

Thanks.

Normally, no. But, with an expired card and a sticker (I have never seen this - can you describe or include a picture with your details blurred out?), I am not sure. You can give it a shot. As long as the airline and Indian immigration let you through, UK immigration won't even see you if you have a sterile transit.

Green Card is issued by USCIS for 10 years. After which one has to file for renewal. While renewal is in process, USCIS embosses the expired green card with extension sticker on back of green card specifying the month and year till which it is valid.