• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

People, I am APPROVED!!!
It's hard to narrate my story throughout this process. If you remember my case...after waiting so long, I finally received a call from an officer (such a sweet lady) with news of receipt of my A-file. She apologized for the delay and offered that I choose a date to be interviewed. Guess my answer...On interview day I showed up with family including my kids who are USC. By God's grace the interview sailed as smooth as butter. After swearing in, the officer turned to my wife, the principal applicant and indicated that if she's able to accurately answer a couple of questions, we should be good. The questions had to do with gaps between her F-1 status and H-4. My wife explained. He then proceeded to verify information on form i-485 and asked us both to answer the 'yes or no' questions simultaneously. It was so funny and hilarious how he quickly brushed over the question of engaging in prostitution or intend to engage in such activities, murmuring under his breathe. At this point my 2-year old daughter was tearing his office down. He turned to me, verified some information and blurred the BIG news...I will be approving you today!!! He printed approval notices and advised that we stay in the country until the greens arrived. We shook hands and headed out into freedom!

To God be all the glory and honor and adoration. He's shown mercy and heard our cry. Heaven knows how long we've waited for this day. To give you a sense of our grave situation, we were literally 3 months away from heading back to native land. Sincere thanks to Sm1smom and Britsimon, for their countless advices far and beyond what seasoned attorneys could conjure on DV cases.

I will be back to initiate something good...

At long last! CONGRATULATIONS!!

Today I finally received my interview letter! It is dated three days after my last Infopass and my interview date is mid next month.
To make sure that I go to my interview 100% prepared and then some, there is some questions that I feel I need to ask here:

-- Regarding Affidavit
I submitted one affidavit of support with my application. It had one previous year tax return from the sponsor and his proof of residency / id. He did not send me the other two tax returns, should I ask for those? Are they necessary?
Also, always related to the affidavit, I notice you have been advising people that the sponsor check "yes" that they will be making direct contributions. However, I see that my sponsor checked "No". Will that be a problem? Do you suggest that I have him make a new one or what? I am not going to be able to provide enough income on my own as I am on a student visa and depending on my family abroad. However, my current CPT employer could give me a letter that they are going to have a full-time position available for me once I get my LPR status. Please, let me know what you think I should do about this. I don't want to get a RFE

-- Regarding School Transcripts
Back when I submitted my application in December I included transcripts from my current university. Should I bring along updated ones?
Also, I included copies of my transcripts from when I attended community college. Will they want to see originals? I only have copies so in case they do I need to order them from my previous college.

-- Regarding OPT employment
I had my OPT three years ago as a non-paid position kind of internship and I do not have any official document from that. Do you think I should get in touch with my former employer and have them write a letter stating what I did and for how long and that I did not receive compensation?

Other than that I think I got it covered. I have my original birth certificate, translation, original high school diploma with copy of sworn translation, and copies of everything I submitted with my application back in December including medical records.

Thanks so much for your precious help!

Hi, My num is AS66**. I am in my OPT right now which is till July 30. I can apply for OPT extension right now and later do AOS when I am current. Or i may choose to not do OPt extension and just to AOS. and if AOS does not work my employer can apply for my J1 visa. What do you suggest? will it be safer to do OPT extension?
Thanks

Today I finally received my interview letter! It is dated three days after my last Infopass and my interview date is mid next month.
To make sure that I go to my interview 100% prepared and then some, there is some questions that I feel I need to ask here:

-- Regarding Affidavit
I submitted one affidavit of support with my application. It had one previous year tax return from the sponsor and his proof of residency / id. He did not send me the other two tax returns, should I ask for those? Are they necessary?
Also, always related to the affidavit, I notice you have been advising people that the sponsor check "yes" that they will be making direct contributions. However, I see that my sponsor checked "No". Will that be a problem? Do you suggest that I have him make a new one or what? I am not going to be able to provide enough income on my own as I am on a student visa and depending on my family abroad. However, my current CPT employer could give me a letter that they are going to have a full-time position available for me once I get my LPR status. Please, let me know what you think I should do about this. I don't want to get a RFE

-- Regarding School Transcripts
Back when I submitted my application in December I included transcripts from my current university. Should I bring along updated ones?
Also, I included copies of my transcripts from when I attended community college. Will they want to see originals? I only have copies so in case they do I need to order them from my previous college.

-- Regarding OPT employment
I had my OPT three years ago as a non-paid position kind of internship and I do not have any official document from that. Do you think I should get in touch with my former employer and have them write a letter stating what I did and for how long and that I did not receive compensation?

Other than that I think I got it covered. I have my original birth certificate, translation, original high school diploma with copy of sworn translation, and copies of everything I submitted with my application back in December including medical records.

Thanks so much for your precious help!

AOS - 1 year tax return is fine. He however shouldn't have ticked "NO", that's as good as not filling out the affidavit on your behalf in the first place. While it's possible the IO may not realize your sponsor ticked 'No' on the form, I think it's in your own best interested to have another one on hand with the 'Yes' option ticked.

Transcripts - Yes take updated copies along. Also take evidence of current registration with you, this could be in the form of your most recent tuition payment receipt - IOs have been known to ask for evidence of current registration during the interview. You should be fine with the community college one, I doubt they will request to see the original.

OPT - I doubt attention will be paid to that in your case.

Best of luck with the interview!

Hi, My num is AS66**. I am in my OPT right now which is till July 30. I can apply for OPT extension right now and later do AOS when I am current. Or i may choose to not do OPt extension and just to AOS. and if AOS does not work my employer can apply for my J1 visa. What do you suggest? will it be safer to do OPT extension?
Thanks

Go for the OPT extension right away.

Hey everyone, is the date you get for interviews set in stone? The reason I'm asking is that I'll be on vacation for 7 days in Augus and now I'm a bit worried. I'm current in June though, so I may be done by August hopefully.

Hey everyone, is the date you get for interviews set in stone? The reason I'm asking is that I'll be on vacation for 7 days in Augus and now I'm a bit worried. I'm current in June though, so I may be done by August hopefully.

It more or less is, especially for DV. Miss the appointment? Kiss the GC goodbye!

I was current in February 2015 and submitted our DS260 (for myself and my spouse) forms online end-January.
The i485 package (including applications for Form I-131 and EAD) was sent to the Chicago lock box with checks cashed in February, and our Bio appointment was completed on March 17 2015.
Today I received notice that the I-131 and EAD have both been approved.
I assume the interview letter will be the next notice.

However, I have not received the 2nd notification letter from KCC. Will this be an issue if I still do not receive it by the interview date?
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

AOS - 1 year tax return is fine. He however shouldn't have ticked "NO", that's as good as not filling out the affidavit on your behalf in the first place. While it's possible the IO may not realize your sponsor ticked 'No' on the form, I think it's in your own best interested to have another one on hand with the 'Yes' option ticked.

Transcripts - Yes take updated copies along. Also take evidence of current registration with you, this could be in the form of your most recent tuition payment receipt - IOs have been known to ask for evidence of current registration during the interview. You should be fine with the community college one, I doubt they will request to see the original.

OPT - I doubt attention will be paid to that in your case.

Best of luck with the interview!

Thanks so much, Mom.
One more thing about the affidavit: is it okay for me to print out an electronic version of the revised one that he is going to e-mail to me or should he be sending me a physical copy?

I was current in February 2015 and submitted our DS260 (for myself and my spouse) forms online end-January.
The i485 package (including applications for Form I-131 and EAD) was sent to the Chicago lock box with checks cashed in February, and our Bio appointment was completed on March 17 2015.
Today I received notice that the I-131 and EAD have both been approved.
I assume the interview letter will be the next notice.

However, I have not received the 2nd notification letter from KCC. Will this be an issue if I still do not receive it by the interview date?
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Have you been checking your spam box regularly to confirm the 2NL hasn't gone in there? Of course it's possible also that KCC hasn't gone to your form yet, hence the none receipt for now. Anyway, not receiving it prior to your interview hasn't been known to be a show stopper.

Thanks so much, Mom.
One more thing about the affidavit: is it okay for me to print out an electronic version of the revised one that he is going to e-mail to me or should he be sending me a physical copy?

The physical copy would be better.

Hello,
I am a F1 student and a DV2015 with a CN AF47XXX. I am waiting for my number to be current and I am preparing all the doccuments. My problem is that I am married and my spouse is back home in AF. I was wondering what are all the documents I need to join to I-485 (including all the documents Mr Simon has in his google spreadsheet). I don't know what to use to apply for her because the USCIS is now clear enough for me. Is the I-824 enough or should I also add the I-130??? I really appreciate your help!

Hi Sm1smom,
I will have to do AP for humanitarian reason. My number is not current yet, and I am apply OPT extension this week. (AS66**). I need suggestion from you on AP, I am not sure how it works. Also whether to do it for AOS and OPT extension or just AOS?
Thanks!

Hello,
I am a F1 student and a DV2015 with a CN AF47XXX. I am waiting for my number to be current and I am preparing all the doccuments. My problem is that I am married and my spouse is back home in AF. I was wondering what are all the documents I need to join to I-485 (including all the documents Mr Simon has in his google spreadsheet). I don't know what to use to apply for her because the USCIS is now clear enough for me. Is the I-824 enough or should I also add the I-130??? I really appreciate your help!

The list of documents "Mr Simon has in his Google spreadsheet" is intended to be a guide/used as a starting point as to what document may be required. All applicants will need to make the judgement call as to what else may be of help with their case, you know your situation better than we do, so you need to critically review your case and think of what may be of help outside of what listed on the spreadsheet.

Now regarding your spouse, is your spouse listed on your eDV registration or did you get married after the registration? Did you submit form DS-260 for your spouse? Did you indicate on your own form that you will be processing follow-to-join for your spouse? Did you already make your own DV fee payment?

If the answers to the above questions are yes (of course with he exception of the the one asking if you got married after the eDV registration), then you're covered for now.

The FTJ part of the process can only begin after you've been approved, nothing can be done prior to that. So yes, you'll need to file form I-824 after your case has been approved. I will suggest you fill this and take it along to your interview when the time comes, and if you get any sign the IO will be approving your case, mention the fact that your wife will be doing FTJ and your case file needs to be forwarded to the applicable local embassy - also ask if you could hand in the form I-824 right there, if they say 'no' ask for guidance on what to do (they will most likely say submit it through the lockbox). Anyway once you're approved you'll need to contact KCC right away to facilitate getting your case file transferred.

Hi Sm1smom,
I will have to do AP for humanitarian reason. My number is not current yet, and I am apply OPT extension this week. (AS66**). I need suggestion from you on AP, I am not sure how it works. Also whether to do it for AOS and OPT extension or just AOS?
Thanks!

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean by "AP for humanitarian reason". Can you shed more light on that?

The list of documents "Mr Simon has in his Google spreadsheet" is intended to be a guide/used as a starting point as to what document may be required. All applicants will need to make the judgement call as to what else may be of help with their case, you know your situation better than we do, so you need to critically review your case and think of what may be of help outside of what listed on the spreadsheet.

Now regarding your spouse, is your spouse listed on your eDV registration or did you get married after the registration? Did you submit form DS-260 for your spouse? Did you indicate on your own form that you will be processing follow-to-join for your spouse? Did you already make your own DV fee payment?

If the answers to the above questions are yes (of course with he exception of the the one asking if you got married after the eDV registration), then you're covered for now.

The FTJ part of the process can only begin after you've been approved, nothing can be done prior to that. So yes, you'll need to file form I-824 after your case has been approved. I will suggest you fill this and take it along to your interview when the time comes, and if you get any sign the IO will be approving your case, mention the fact that your wife will be doing FTJ and your case file needs to be forwarded to the applicable local embassy - also ask if you could hand in the form I-824 right there, if they say 'no' ask for guidance on what to do (they will most likely say submit it through the lockbox). Anyway once you're approved you'll need to contact KCC right away to facilitate getting your case file transferred.

People are constantly confused between my username and yours. Your name looks like "Simon" (if you are dyslexic and squinting).

I'm sorry I don't understand what you mean by "AP for humanitarian reason". Can you shed more light on that?
Sorry for being vague. Advanced parole. Resean disaster relief. I would like to go back, but not sure how Advanced Parole works. If I can have either OPT ext or green card before going or have document so that I can come back, I am not sure.