Renewing TN while H1B is pending

no_trying

Registered Users (C)
I need to renew my TN next month. I also applied for H1B this year as premium processing and got selected in the lottery. No result yet about regards to my H1B application. What would happen if I go for renewal in Toronto for TN Visa, does it have any impact on H1B processing. My H1B is filed as consular processing.

Has anyone has gone through this scenario or have any recommendations?

Thanks.

Another question I have is how long should I get my TN Visa 1 yrs or 3 yrs since I have no idea about if I ever get h1b before my TN I-94 expires. I know for the fact that I won the H1B lottery. Most likely I need to renew my TN visa in next two weeks. Getting 3yrs TN Visa is preferable, but this all depends on H1B. I am not sure renewing my TN Visa has any affect on my pending H1B. I am on TN under Computer System Analyst for the same company I been working for 5 years and my H1B is filed under Programmer Analyst.

There is no "consular processing" for H1-B for Cdns, so I'm not sure what you mean. I assume what they have done is say that you will get H1-B at the border in October. Not the smartest move, since you are in the US they should have asked that you get you I-94 by mail.
At any rate, your TN, which you still need until then, must be renewed -- and should be for 3 years -- and the renewal will have no effect on H1-B.

Hi Nelsona -- I guess you are saying that they should have applied for TN renewal to uscis right now (instead of going to the border) and filed COS for H1 which would become active automatically on oct-1 without the need to go to the border.

Considering that when H1 was applied for (apri1 l ) they only had less than 2 months left on TN. "right now" is too late. The ywould have done this in march.

But even so, there was no reason to specify border approval ("consular processing" as the poster put it). let the COS die if it must, don't abort it prematurely.

My guess is that, once again an ignorant lawyer thought that he would have to leave the country to get an H1-B visa, so he might as well get the I-94 at border as well.

agree on this point. Best case scenario would have been to renew TN in March itself through PP preferrably (I think they let you renew by mail up to 6 months ahead of TN's actual expiration if i am not mistaken) and the H1b process could go on in parallel separately. Assuming selection in lottery (which seems to be case for the poster), do a COS and switch status to H1b on Oct-1 automatically upon approval