• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

Dear all
If you have bank account at dashen bank they will give you 4,000usd per adult and 2,000per child.
I just managed to get 8,000usd right now for me and my spouse, and infor us to collect the remaining 2,000usd on tuesday.(selling rate 20.7897birr/usd)
Location dashen bank forex office is around lancha adjacent to Garad building .
That is great information. I think 4000 is better than the one which you will be able to buy at National Bank of Ethiopia. If the bank book holder is only one of the family, can we be able to buy for all the family memebr?

Dear forum members, I have got a new passport just now. Do I need to update the information in the DS260 form or it is possible to update during the interview? The other question is is there any one who took medical at St. Yared hospital? how long it will take the medical examination? I mean does it take more than one day? I hope thoese of us who are current for June interview will get the 2NL this week. I am looking forward to get the email :)
Thank you for your answer.

That is great information. I think 4000 is better than the one which you will be able to buy at National Bank of Ethiopia. If the bank book holder is only one of the family, can we be able to buy for all the family memebr?
Yes possible , either you two or and account possible .
Hope u will receive 2nl in three days time.
Good luck bro

Dear forum members, I have got a new passport just now. Do I need to update the information in the DS260 form or it is possible to update during the interview? The other question is is there any one who took medical at St. Yared hospital? how long it will take the medical examination? I mean does it take more than one day? I hope thoese of us who are current for June interview will get the 2NL this week. I am looking forward to get the email :)
Dear @Fikir12
updating passport on ds-260 is not pissible once u became current, but there is no problem with having new passport BUT you should take it along with the old one to the interview. (Relax)
Regarding yared medical, you can call the medical center directly and get the information from the source. Call 994
good luck bro

Dear all
If you have bank account at dashen bank they will give you 4,000usd per adult and 2,000per child.
I just managed to get 8,000usd right now for me and my spouse, and infor us to collect the remaining 2,000usd on tuesday.(selling rate 20.7897birr/usd)
Location dashen bank forex office is around lancha adjacent to Garad building .
10,000 USD is just about the max you can carry on you in cash! This is the most informative post about fired in your country. I remember previous posts showing difficulties in getting dollars.

10,000 USD is just about the max you can carry on you in cash! This is the most informative post about fired in your country. I remember previous posts showing difficulties in getting dollars.

There is no maximum cash amount you are allowed to bring into the U.S., but over $10k you need to declare it on the customs form.

Point of correction on this: there's no limit to how the amount of cash a person can bring into the U.S. Bringing in $10,000 or more just means more paper work:

There is no limit on the amount of money that can be taken out of or brought into the United States. However, if a person or persons traveling together and filing a joint declaration (CBP Form 6059-B) have $10,000 or more in currency or negotiable monetary instruments, they must fill out a "Report of International Transportation of Currency and Monetary Instruments" FinCEN 105 (former CF 4790).
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/~/currency-/-monetary-instruments---amount-that-can-be-brought-into-or-leave-the

Point of correction on this: there's no limit to how the amount of cash a person can bring into the U.S. Bringing in $10,000 or more just means more paper work:

There is no limit on the amount of money that can be taken out of or brought into the United States. However, if a person or persons traveling together and filing a joint declaration (CBP Form 6059-B) have $10,000 or more in currency or negotiable monetary instruments, they must fill out a "Report of International Transportation of Currency and Monetary Instruments" FinCEN 105 (former CF 4790).
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/195/~/currency-/-monetary-instruments---amount-that-can-be-brought-into-or-leave-the
Dear @Sm1smom missed you advice big time on this thread ,
Just one more question , is it possible to deposit our money in bank using our passport right upon our arrivals before receiving our green card or SSN?
Because i read somewhere on britsimonsays post says not safe to keep money at home.

Just one more question , is it possible to deposit our money in bank using our passport right upon our arrivals before receiving our green card or SSN?
Because i read somewhere on britsimonsays post says not safe to keep money at home.

Hey @rolex123, I never left the Thread, just didn't see any need to contribute to issues others have rightly answered. I only try to step in when there's no response to a posted question or I feel a conflicting response has been given. ;) But I must say it certainly feels good to be appreciated :)

Regarding your question, yes some banks will allow you to open an account without the SSN and the plastic GC, while others will insist on you providing a SSN. You will just have to approach your bank of preference, explain your situation and see if they will be willing to let you open the account.

Hey @rolex123, I never left the Thread, just didn't see any need to contribute to issues others have rightly answered. I only try to step in when there's no response to a posted question or I feel a conflicting response has been given. ;) But I must say it certainly feels good to be appreciated :)

Regarding your question, yes some banks will allow you to open an account without the SSN and the plastic GC, while others will insist on you providing a SSN. You will just have to approach your bank of preference, explain your situation and see if they will be willing to let you open the account.
that's what i really missed @Sm1smom , thank you so much.
Just an update , we already booked flight and purchased tickets for may 23 to Dallas via frankfurt , we are in a sort of hectic relocation activities these days, selling our household items , busy on our condominium house finishing work planned to complete in two weeks , job clearance to get our benefit packages etc etc , hope you do understood what really mean relocation from home country to the unknown .
Thanks again stay blessed .

I took medical checkup at st.yared hospital i went on april 18 i finished everything within 20min they give me appointment for april28 to collect my confirmation letter
ee

Hi @Fikir12, hope the week will be bright for you as it advances. Regarding your questions:
- I don't think it is good idea to talk about editing your DS260 at this point in time. Simply go with both passports for the interview. Normally, they will take care of all the necessary changes during the interview as long as they are sure you are the same person.
- For the medical, we did our check up at ST. YARED. It was a very simple process. We did all the laboratory and x-ray check up the first day we went, we were then given an appointment (after two days I think) to see the Doctor and to have a physical check up, to listen to the overall result from the Doctor and for vaccination. We then received a piece of confirmation paper and that is all. As they know when to send and what to do, you have nothing to worry after that.
Good Luck.

Just an update , we already booked flight and purchased tickets for may 23 to Dallas via frankfurt , we are in a sort of hectic relocation activities these days, selling our household items , busy on our condominium house finishing work planned to complete in two weeks , job clearance to get our benefit packages etc etc , hope you do understood what really mean relocation from home country to the unknown .

Yep, hectic time indeed. All the best with the move.

Actually I have said I wouldn't TRAVEL with large amounts of cash - but given the banking restrictions you endure - you probably don't have much choice.

Hi Friends,

How are doing all? is the social security will be brought with the green card or you have to report after you reached USA? someone told me I do not need to report but the social security will be coming with the green card after 3 weeks?

Any real experiences and knowledge about this issue is welcomed!

By the way I am in New Jersey. Thank you!

Hi Friends,

How are doing all? is the social security will be brought with the green card or you have to report after you reached USA? someone told me I do not need to report but the social security will be coming with the green card after 3 weeks?

Any real experiences and knowledge about this issue is welcomed!

By the way I am in New Jersey. Thank you!

Your social security card should arrive before two weeks, separately from the green card which will probably take 1-2 months. Good luck with setting up your new life!!

Make sure you check that you don't need a transit visa for Germany. Good luck on your trip!