Canadian or US License

wretle42

Folks

Got a job and moved to US on TN three months back. Family is still in the process of moving.
I have a Canadian drivers license currently. Given that I am on TN, is it absolutely mandatory to switch to a US drivers license?
Secondly, I was under the impression that the car insurance is valid only for 60 days from the time one leaves the province. I called up my insurance company and told them I will be in US for long periods of time for work and asked if I need to get any additional insurance added. They said its not necessary and that Canadian car insurance will continue to cover in the US also.

Your thoughts on the above? Is your experience same/different?

Thank you.

Yes, it is mandatory. You are living and working (that is key) in that state. you had 30 days to change. Only students (and military) are allowed to keep their old DL and plates when living in a state.
The insurance thing is misleading, likely because the agent did not quite understand your situation. If you were snowbirding in US, your Cdn insurance would still be good, as you would (a) still be living in caada, (b) still have a valid provincial license, and (c) still have valid plates. Right now, you satisfy none of these, and were you to get into an accident, you insurqnce would quite correctly deny your claim because you are in essence driving illegally.

So, you need to get your local DL, AND you need to formlly import your car and get it plated (and insured) locally too.

thanks Nelson. Let me explain a bit more. We had two cars in my household (one for me and one for my spouse). My family has still not relocated to the US and are using the other vehicle. The one that I am currently using, I plan to take back to Canada in June and gift to one of my relatives and therefore avoid the hassle of importing when I know I wont be keeping it. The 2nd car will be permanently in the US (once the family arrives and will by all means be imported/plated etc). Any idea if I can get temp insurance on a Canadian plated vehicle with a US drivers license?

Thanks for your insights

wow. You leave a LOT out when you ask a question don't you?
The fact that your family is still there changes things abit, but not the fact that you need to get a US DL today. A US DL in itself will not harm your Cdn insurance coverage. You should be using the car you are bringing to US now, and drive the other one back to canada.

Thank you Nelson... Will definitely try to provide lots more info when I ask future questions.

Appreciate your help and guidance

one more Q...what happens to the Canadian license when i get the US one? They didnt ask me to surrender the Cad license. I guess I should just let it be and let the Cad one expire on its own?

Correct. Its of no value, so you might return it to province to get a prorated refund. QC gives this.

Did I say he couldn't keep it? I merely suggested since it was of no value (the only valid DL is the one for the jurisdiction he LIVES in), he might get some refund for it.

Just a little added info: Each state has separate agreements with each province as to what to do with the provincial DL when they get stae DL. Some take it, some destroy it, some do nothing. Each state/province paring has their own procedure.