• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hello mom, I would appreciate your help with this question.
Form I-485, part 3 question number 2 says, "Have you received public assistance in the United States from any source, including the U.S Government or any State, county, city, or municipality (other than emergency medical treatment), or are you likely to receive public assistance in the future?"

Will the answer be "No", even though in the past our child who is a U.S citizen received such benefit?

Or this question only implies to a person for whom I-485 form completed for?

Hello mom, I would appreciate your help with this question.
Form I-485, part 3 question number 2 says, "Have you received public assistance in the United States from any source, including the U.S Government or any State, county, city, or municipality (other than emergency medical treatment), or are you likely to receive public assistance in the future?"

Will the answer be "No", even though in the past our child who is a U.S citizen received such benefit?

Or this question only implies to a person for whom I-485 form completed for?

The answer should be yes because you applied for and received it on behalf of your USC child.

If you're willing to shed more light on what kind of benefit was received, I may be able to tell whether it's a benefit that falls under the public charge category or not with regards to immigration petitions.

The answer should be yes because you applied for and received it on behalf of your USC child.

If you're willing to shed more light on what kind of benefit was received, I may be able to tell whether it's a benefit that falls under the public charge category or not with regards to immigration petitions.
Thank you mom,
I found this link on USCIS, http://www.uscis.gov/news/fact-sheets/public-charge-fact-sheet based on which, it does not fall under the public charge.

As far as I-134 Affidavit of Support, it should be one for PA and another one for derivative? Thanks again.

Regardless, you still have to answer 'Yes' to the question though.

Only the PA needs the affidavit.
mom, thank you for your input.
I want to clarify couple more thing.
1) In regards to the affidavit, don't you think IO might ask why only PA has the affidavit? (where is for derivative?)
2) I'll have a bank statement attached to AOS package, but should this Affidavit to be presented when only IO asks for it during the interview?

mom, thank you for your input.
I want to clarify couple more thing.
1) In regards to the affidavit, don't you think IO might ask why only PA has the affidavit? (where is for derivative?)
2) I'll have a bank statement attached to AOS package, but should this Affidavit to be presented when only IO asks for it during the interview?

1. No, I don't expect the IO to ask such a question, AOS petitioners have NEVER been asked such to the best of my knowledge. The affidavit of support typically covers the PA and all of his/her derivatives. Not sure if you taken a look at the I-134 form itself, it has a section for listing the derivatives. If you feel the derivative needs a separate affidavit, go ahead and get one, it's your case.

2. Yes you can hold on to the affidavit and only present it when requested during the interview.

I received my interview letter it s on april 14th in ny federal plaza their request are financial support which is u wont become public charge and photo id what should bring with me Also and what should i bring for financial support i ll start a work with my ead card is that enough should i bring i134 too if bring i134 how much income do i need from sponsor thank u

I received my interview letter it s on april 14th in ny federal plaza their request are financial support which is u wont become public charge and photo id what should bring with me Also and what should i bring for financial support i ll start a work with my ead card is that enough should i bring i134 too if bring i134 how much income do i need from sponsor thank u

You should attend the interview with all the original copies of the documents you submitted (of course minus the forms and medical report). You'll need a government issued ID (State issued ID/Driver's License or international passport). If you already have a job offer, take the letter with you. Also get an affidavit of support if you can. How much income your sponsor needs depends on the number of people in your sponsor's household plus yourself. Below is link to listing income requirement that needs to be met based on the number of sponsors household members:

http://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864p.pdf

Not quite sure again what your visa status is, if you're a student, take along evidence of current registration. Take any other thing you can think of on your own that can help your case.

Hi mom and everyone!

I went to my interview in Lawrence, MA today. It was scheduled for 10 AM, I got there around 9:25 AM after a 2 hour ride and went through security. The lobby didn't have that many people waiting. It was a very clean and bright building. I waited for around 15 minutes before being called by my IO. I greeted her and made small talk with her on the way to her office. She allowed for me to put my stuff down first but I had to remain standing and take the oath. This took about 1-2 minutes.

The first thing she asked when I sat down was to give her my passport so she could photocopy it. This was to verify that I was actually here for the interview. When she came back, she opened my file and went straight to my I-485 and started asking me questions based on my answers: what was my full name, date of birth, address in the US, addresses outside of the US, my parents names, the listed organizations I had (my college, my internship and my high school in Finland). I stumbled a bit when she asked for my SSN because I didn't know it from the top of my head and also when she asked me for my last date of entry to US... I eyeballed it. Then she went through the long list of: are you a terrorist, etc on I-485. Finally, she asked me t0 verify my signature. All of this took max 9 minutes.

She told me that she had already acquired a visa number for me prior to my arrival and that I was good to go. It was so anti-climatic that I didn't even realize when the interview was over that it was over. The IO was super nice, was really curious about the languages I spoke and joked about how the interview was shorter than my ride there. I checked my case status an hour later and saw that the status was CPO!

I had prepared photocopies of all the documents I had in my original application and more just in case I was asked anything else. My IO didn't check any of my original documents or ask for the photocopies.

Overall, I had a very good experience with my interview and I wish everyone else the best of luck!

Thank you mom and everyone else here for your knowledge, guidance and patience (with all the panicky messages). I am so grateful for everything. It was been a long journey and I am so glad to have shared it with you all.

Hi mom and everyone!

I went to my interview in Lawrence, MA today. It was scheduled for 10 AM, I got there around 9:25 AM after a 2 hour ride and went through security. The lobby didn't have that many people waiting. It was a very clean and bright building. I waited for around 15 minutes before being called by my IO. I greeted her and made small talk with her on the way to her office. She allowed for me to put my stuff down first but I had to remain standing and take the oath. This took about 1-2 minutes.

The first thing she asked when I sat down was to give her my passport so she could photocopy it. This was to verify that I was actually here for the interview. When she came back, she opened my file and went straight to my I-485 and started asking me questions based on my answers: what was my full name, date of birth, address in the US, addresses outside of the US, my parents names, the listed organizations I had (my college, my internship and my high school in Finland). I stumbled a bit when she asked for my SSN because I didn't know it from the top of my head and also when she asked me for my last date of entry to US... I eyeballed it. Then she went through the long list of: are you a terrorist, etc on I-485. Finally, she asked me t0 verify my signature. All of this took max 9 minutes.

She told me that she had already acquired a visa number for me prior to my arrival and that I was good to go. It was so anti-climatic that I didn't even realize when the interview was over that it was over. The IO was super nice, was really curious about the languages I spoke and joked about how the interview was shorter than my ride there. I checked my case status an hour later and saw that the status was CPO!

I had prepared photocopies of all the documents I had in my original application and more just in case I was asked anything else. My IO didn't check any of my original documents or ask for the photocopies.

Overall, I had a very good experience with my interview and I wish everyone else the best of luck!

Thank you mom and everyone else here for your knowledge, guidance and patience (with all the panicky messages). I am so grateful for everything. It was been a long journey and I am so glad to have shared it with you all.

Congratulations!!!

Hi mom and everyone!

2BrokeGirls_WootWoot.gif

CONGRATULATIONS!

Hi everyone, I was just looking at the vaccination requirements and waiting for the flu season to be over (cause I really don't want to take the shot at the end of the season, as I hate needles and there will be a few needles involved anyway), and I came across this (which I find to be relieving). Posting here in case anyone is waiting for the season to be over too (you guys should maybe update the GDoc?)!
  • Influenza vaccine is required for applicants 6 months through 18 years of age during the influenza (flu) season. Influenza vaccine continues to be required for adults 50 years of age or older. SOURCE

Hello folk,

I have been interviewed the last interview since the middel of December, and I still not recieved the card yet.

This summer, I am planning to go to my country for a long visit.

How can I leave the USA while my status is processing?
Can I apply for a travel form that I can use when I come back? Or just apply for American visa when I come back?

Please let me know what to go?

Thanks.

Hi mom and everyone!

Congrats!!!

Hi everyone,
I have a question about the whole issue of a change of address.
I inquired about this on here before and, thanks to your replies, I know now that it is not advisable to change my address while I still have not received my interview letter and my case is still processing with USCIS. So I decided to sit tight and wait.
However, I recently received my renewal notice from my landlord and I am still really stuck here with my rent going to increase outrageously if I don't renew my contract because it will turn month-to-month and I can't even tell you how ridiculous the sum they request for that is. If I do renew my contract, to avoid paying even more, then I am forced to stay in this apartment for another year and after 5 years here this was really finally the time to move out to a bigger place and it was finally doable.
So my questions are two, if I move to a bigger unit in this same exact building I still change my address so does it make any sense?
And also, is it risky if I still move out and use this service https://www.usps.com/manage/forward.htm to have my mail forwarded to me? Or since I have to notify USCIS when I move out then there will be some sort of mix up even with this service? I don't know...
I really really do not want to move out while all of this is pending but unfortunately the timing of my rental contract expiration and my immigration case processing have coincided. Obviously, I cannot possibly know when the LA FO will decide to stop sitting on my application and actually schedule my interview, and that makes it all even more stressful. I booked a second Infopass for later this month, by the way.
Thanks for being ever so helpful and here is to hoping that while I try to get all of this sorted out in the next couple weeks I receive my letter :D

Hello Mom!

Earlier you told me that if I am F-1 visa student and work on campus I have to bring Employment Verification Letter on the Interview. Could you tell me what should be the format of that Letter. Should I take it in HR dept or my supervisor may write it. Thanks!

Last edited:
Hello folk,

I have been interviewed the last interview since the middel of December, and I still not recieved the card yet.

This summer, I am planning to go to my country for a long visit.

How can I leave the USA while my status is processing?
Can I apply for a travel form that I can use when I come back? Or just apply for American visa when I come back?

Please let me know what to go?

Thanks.

If you had applied for the AP card when you sent in your I-485 package you would have been able to use that card to return to the U.S. At this point in time, I think it's of no use applying for it now as the processing takes about 2-3 months.

Unfortunately, you will not be able to make that trip until your AOS petition is adjudicated. If you leave while that is pending, your AOS petition will be cancelled as you would be deemed to have abandoned the petition. So you'll have to wait until the case is approved before you can undertake that long trip to your home country.

Hi everyone,
I have a question about the whole issue of a change of address.
I inquired about this on here before and, thanks to your replies, I know now that it is not advisable to change my address while I still have not received my interview letter and my case is still processing with USCIS. So I decided to sit tight and wait.
However, I recently received my renewal notice from my landlord and I am still really stuck here with my rent going to increase outrageously if I don't renew my contract because it will turn month-to-month and I can't even tell you how ridiculous the sum they request for that is. If I do renew my contract, to avoid paying even more, then I am forced to stay in this apartment for another year and after 5 years here this was really finally the time to move out to a bigger place and it was finally doable.
So my questions are two, if I move to a bigger unit in this same exact building I still change my address so does it make any sense?
And also, is it risky if I still move out and use this service https://www.usps.com/manage/forward.htm to have my mail forwarded to me? Or since I have to notify USCIS when I move out then there will be some sort of mix up even with this service? I don't know...
I really really do not want to move out while all of this is pending but unfortunately the timing of my rental contract expiration and my immigration case processing have coincided. Obviously, I cannot possibly know when the LA FO will decide to stop sitting on my application and actually schedule my interview, and that makes it all even more stressful. I booked a second Infopass for later this month, by the way.
Thanks for being ever so helpful and here is to hoping that while I try to get all of this sorted out in the next couple weeks I receive my letter :D

USPS cannot and will note forward correspondence from USCIS regardless of whether you've notified USCIS of a COA or not, or whether you have a mail forwarding service in place with USPS or not. If moving into a bigger unit within the same complex, have you looked into the possibility of arranging with your landlord or whoever moves into your present unit to look out for mail addressed to your for the next couple of months or so and bring such mail to your attention?

Of course you could take the gamble and move to a completely different place, do a COA online and hope your correspondence from USCIS gets delivered to the new address.