• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All Ethiopian 2015 DV Winners Meet Here!

hi people; will a 1 or 2 yr difference in age stated in highschool transcript and Ds260. be an issue. I haven't encountered such an issue in the forum. I don't even think the CO will enter to such calculation of the age

hi people; will a 1 or 2 yr difference in age stated in highschool transcript and Ds260. be an issue. I haven't encountered such an issue in the forum. I don't even think the CO will enter to such calculation of the age

The school transcipt is NOT what is used to prove the age or identity of the candidate. The only task is to show the transcript is genuine and belongs to the selectee

Hi Dears,

Yesterday has been my interview day. It just ended up with an open appointment. The detail goes as below:

We got to the embassy at 6:00 local and passed through the usual security check. As we were holding a five months infant we have been given priority and the waiting time was short. Once we get inside the waiting room, a friendly Ethiopian lady gave us a folder to assemble the documents. We did the same and gave back to her. She has labeled our folder as "priority" and told us to wait until our name is called. Shortly after, my name was called to window 4. we all (my wife, 3 years son and the infant, whose name is not included in the 2ND letter, and myself) appeared in front of one Ethiopian lady. She took our finger print and returned some documents that are not relevant, like work experience. Having that we are four in number against three listed in the 2ND letter, she asked about the infant:

· Who is he? I told her "he is xxxx, a new born baby"

· Would you like to take him with you? I told her "yes"

Then, she gave me a form which I have to take it to the medical institution, told me to fill online form (DS 260) and come back any day (Monday to Thursday) at 7:00 as soon as the medical result matures. She also told me to pay for the entire family before the interview, which was something I was not expecting based on prior experiences I had from this thread.

Today I will be going to IOM to facilitate the medical process for my infant.

@ebro.hi ebro how u doing .u had answered my question last time but the difference is u want to take ur 5 month baby but i don't want to take my baby with me so shall i take him to embassy during interview date for registration only?if u can pls send me ur phone number

Last edited by a moderator:
@ebro.hi ebro how u doing .u had answered my question last time but the difference is u want to take ur 5 month baby but i don't want to take my baby with me so shall i take him to embassy during interview date for registration only?if u can pls send me ur phone number
u do not need to send the kid to the embassy then but birth records must be presented , even if you do not wish to immigrate at this time with the baby

Hi all, just checking in after 6 months in the US.

Happy to see this thread going strong. Congrats to all those who've received their visas so far!
You guys should create a spreadsheet to track members the way Ormania did for us last year.

By the way, about the money transfer thing, people use the black market. There's no other option. Basically, you arrange to give your Birr to someone in Ethiopia while their friend in the US gives you the dollar equivalent (with a bad exchange rate obviously). Clearly, you must do this with people you trust. There's no shortage of people looking for Birr in Ethiopia due to the diaspora who are investing there. The issue is they know you are desperate for the dollars so they'll take advantage on the exchange terms.

I personally didn't do any of that because all my money was in the US already except a couple thousand dollars (which I had no issues taking out of the country), but that's how other people do it. What can you do? It's either that or nothing.

Hi all, just checking in after 6 months in the US.

Happy to see this thread going strong. Congrats to all those who've received their visas so far!
You guys should create a spreadsheet to track members the way Ormania did for us last year.
Mr Tew ! Welcome back

Reactions: Tew
By the way, about the money transfer thing, people use the black market. There's no other option. Basically, you arrange to give your Birr to someone in Ethiopia while their friend in the US gives you the dollar equivalent (with a bad exchange rate obviously). Clearly, you must do this with people you trust. There's no shortage of people looking for Birr in Ethiopia due to the diaspora who are investing there. The issue is they know you are desperate for the dollars so they'll take advantage on the exchange terms.

I personally didn't do any of that because all my money was in the US already except a couple thousand dollars (which I had no issues taking out of the country), but that's how other people do it. What can you do? It's either that or nothing.
Nothing illegal about you giving money in your currency to someone who would have received that money from abroad, so that the sender in the Us reimburses you when you get there.
The issue about a predatory exchange rate! Guys need to be a bit more morally conscious- bad money doesn't, mix with hard earned Money. That is the way money really is. A quick kill vapourises too fast. My view of life though

Nothing illegal about you giving money in your currency to someone who would have received that money from abroad, so that the sender in the Us reimburses you when you get there.
The issue about a predatory exchange rate! Guys need to be a bit more morally conscious- bad money doesn't, mix with hard earned Money. That is the way money really is. A quick kill vapourises too fast. My view of life though

Just being picky, yes that is still "illegal" if there are controls about how much currency can be moved. No matter how it is done, you are still moving money abroad. Having said that, this us one time when I would not criticise someone for breaking the law.

Just being picky, yes that is still "illegal" if there are controls about how much currency can be moved. No matter how it is done, you are still moving money abroad. Having said that, this us one time when I would not criticise someone for breaking the law.

Just another example of how exchange controls never work, all they do is prejudice innocent people...

have a copy of every thing amele ! The Internet cafes around the embassy won't be open when you submit your documents so make sure to have every thing copied except for medical and police clearance ! GOOD LUCK DEAR

I want to explain what I meant.
A lives in Fiji and usually sends money to Tonga.
B lives in Tonga. He requests A not to send money so that he finances whatever A wanted to fund.
B then emigrates to Fiji and gets refunded by A.
Nothing illegal about that arrangement as there is no cross border movement of money involved