N-400 and State tax

bkms

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

Planning to apply for N-400- My question is below.

I had a call from Department of revenue from my state asking for tax payment for year 2011.
I paid the amount in full few months back. Apparently i did not file taxes that year with my state.
I mailed my state tax return few days back.

Do i answer "yes" to "have you ever not filed a state tax as PR" question. If yes how big of an issue is this ?

Since i just filed my tax return, should i wait till state return is accepted before N-400.They said processing time for state tax is 8 weeks.

Thanks !

Hi All,

Planning to apply for N-400- My question is below.

I had a call from Department of revenue from my state asking for tax payment for year 2011.
I paid the amount in full few months back. Apparently i did not file taxes that year with my state.
I mailed my state tax return few days back.

Do i answer "yes" to "have you ever not filed a state tax as PR" question. If yes how big of an issue is this ?

Since i just filed my tax return, should i wait till state return is accepted before N-400.They said processing time for state tax is 8 weeks.

Thanks !

I had the same issue, I checked "YES" and included all the documentation I had regarding correspondence with my state and payment. I also included a short summary explaining what happened (i.e. I inadvertently failed to file [Year of Taxes], received letter [on or about date] from [state DOR], responded on [date] and asked for adjustment because I had paid taxes to another state, state DOR responded with new amount on [date] and then paid on [date]. Please see attached documents that show correspondence and proof of payment). I had the interview and IO spent only 10 seconds on that and wasn't bothered. I don't think they would have found out (or it would have mattered) if I didn't disclose since technically I had paid before N400. I just accepted my state's proposed amount without filing a new return. It sounds like you didn't have that option and filed a return so I think you should be fine with "NO."