DUI problem, need help

In Admissable to Canada

dlward said:
A DUI makes you inadmissible to Canada.

A DUI does not make you inadmissable to Canada, while it can make entry more difficult there are many avenues and circumstances in regards to entry. Please consult the immigration act for details.

Document checklist for H1 stamping after DUI

Hi Guys,

I got My H1 -B1 extension petition approved. I had a DUI in April 2003.
I am going for H1-B1 visa stamping in Mumbai, India. soon.

I am going to produce following documents in addition to regular H1-B1 stamping documents checklist. Please let me know if any additional documents are necessary or required.

1: Court certified copy of Court case disposition document indicating the charges, what was the sentence and the final disposition.
2: Copy of police arrest record describing the incidence.
3: Certificate of completion of alcohol driving education classes.
4: Personal letter from the class councellor.
5: Computer printouts of the state laws ( from their websites ) describing the first DUI offence and the sentences. ( just to show that it was a misdemnor and not felony.)

Any of you guys who have been through this H1 stamping experiece in India ( mumbai or any US consulate) after getting a DUI, please respond to this post if you had produced any additional documents. Any feedback regarding what questions were asked at the consulate is highly appreciated....

Thanks,

G....

Dui

Gautam, if u take Admissibility letter (paperwork describing the immigration laws and stating that it does not render u inadmissible) may help. I got mine done with my Imm. Atty.

Also, reg Canada inadmissiblility, I have heard cases where the officer offered Temp residence in Canadian PR interview on condition of having a job in Canada cuz they say with DUI one can't enter Canada for 5 yrs. If there are any other avenues, to obtain PR or H1 stamping in Canada, pls share.

Thx

Hit and Run Misdeamnor

Hi,

My case is a little different. I had an accident in 02/2001 and left the accident scene with out knowing that I have to stop and exchange insurance information. Police came to my home and later I worked with him to give the details. But I had an arrest record and they took my finger prints at that time.

After that I had my stamping in the US in 2002. I came to India in this August and attended the interview at Chennai. Surprisingly, the officer asked me whether I was arrested. I did not think that was an arrest and I explained him the story.

Now they asked me to pay Rs 4080 and took my finger prints. I have a few questions -

1) What kind of report do we expect from FBI in this case?
2) How much time it takes to get the reprot from FBI and consulate informs us?
3) I collected the court disposition report and police report. Do I need to collect any other documents?

H1B stamping with DUI - do you get passport back?

Guys, let's keep this thread going!

I am going to Delhi in December to get my H1B stamped. I have been reading these posts and it is very helpful. My question is - after the first interview when they give you a 221(g), do they give you your passport back and then ask to return in 45 days?

Reason I am asking is that I want to visit my parents in Dubai while I am waiting for 2nd interview in Delhi.

Please let me know - appreciate everyone's input!!

Hi guys,
iam sharing my OUI experince , so that it may be helpful for others.
particularly who are on short business trips.

first thing is Dont panic , It is not a great crime , at least 80 to 90% people( who drink) do it but few of unfortunate like us get caught.

I got arrested on early 2008 , in MA , i was here in US on temperory business for 2 weeks , i was arrested at the end of first week, ( first offence OUI).

since i need to return back to my home country ext week , i simply pleaded guilty before judge. i was asked to pay a fine ( 1000$). 1 year license loss in MA but no other thng like probabtion and counseling.

as per my experince ,

for short term business trip/ visitors ,

it is better to plead guilty with or without attorney. if attorney is present he can bargain much for you.
Loosing a license in particular state may not be BIG problem for you because you are not resident, so dont worry about that.

MOST IMPORTANT IS GET RID OF THE CASE BEFORE YOU LEAVE.

If you fight the case it may take few months to few years , so you cannot spend that much of money & time.

and if you leave without informing that would be a real problem which has more strong effect than DUI.

Better to plead wiht the help of attorney , that certianly reduce fines and sentences.
but before you choose speak with at least 3 attorneys.

NOTE:
THIS IS NOT A LEGAL ADVICE.
FOLLOWING ABOVE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

Guys,

i pleaded gulity for DUI. paid the fines and got the recepit but i do not have the Court case report or disposal report, iam alraedy back to home country how can i get it.

Regards
Gowri

2 DUIs 11 years apart (each misdemeanor) - impact on naturalization

Hi
Helping a friend who got a Misdemeanor DUI in Feb 1994 - completed 2-year probation.

Obtained green card in 2001. Applied for naturalization in 2005 (he is married to US citizen). Got rejected given another DUI conviction in October 2005. Completed 1 year probation in May 2007.

Is it too early to reapply for Naturalization now that 9 months have gone by since termination of probation in the 2005 DUI?

Thanks in advance for your advice...

I had a DWI 4 yrs ago. so 3.5 yrs after DWI, i applied for naturalization. i submited a complete file (with original documents from court as requested by N-400 guidelines), i've paid all my taxes, and am a good citizen... so i got my interview/citizenship done.

it took about 6 months from date of application submission to fingerprint to interview/oath. its all not true that you need a lawyer and good moral charecter and bla bla bla - just go apply. whats the worst that can happen? nothing.

i went without a laywer. nothing happened. i got approved.

While this DUI is not going to make your life any better, I believe that it will not become a major problem for you until you have three of them at which point the third becomes an aggravated felony.

Hi

I am on H1 and I got a dui on Dec 14, I have plead guilty and my BAC reading > 0.15, yes I was stupid but I need your help. I have valid H1B stamping until Feb 2016 and I am planning to go to India to get married. I wont be going to stamping since I already have a valid one and I am also not planning to travel out of the country until 2019 after this one, just to be on the safer side. I have few questions

1) Will I have any problem at the Port of Entry while coming back
2) Will my wife have any problems in getting H4 stamping

I am going to carry the documents suggested by all the people