• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Hi all, i just found this board and im glad i have. There's a wealth of info i need to read through on these 170 pages and im sure this may have already been askes.
Our number is 10XX and we have just been advised we have an interview scheduled for May. The day that has been given is impossible for either of us to attend due to work commitments, i am trying to find out how i go about asking for an alternate appointment. Can anyone please shed some light on to how we go about this. Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone

Hi all, i just found this board and im glad i have. There's a wealth of info i need to read through on these 170 pages and im sure this may have already been askes.
Our number is 10XX and we have just been advised we have an interview scheduled for May. The day that has been given is impossible for either of us to attend due to work commitments, i am trying to find out how i go about asking for an alternate appointment. Can anyone please shed some light on to how we go about this. Thank you in advance and good luck to everyone

You can contact the embassy and ask to reschedule. Sometimes that ends up with the person being put back to the back of the line, sometimes it works out. But we have seen cases where that request ends up costing the person the Green Card, so we generally say don't reschedule. You are talking about emigrating after all... It's a pretty big deal.

Thanks @Deb7a we posted at the same time :) these things are a nightmare to navigate on an iphone. Will open it on the laptop I think.
Are you flying out soon?

Thanks @Deb7a we posted at the same time :) these things are a nightmare to navigate on an iphone. Will open it on the laptop I think.
Are you flying out soon?
Yeah my Samsung note died, so I am on an iphone now and that just sucks. So I will wait til I get to the states to get another note. I like em big lol. I fly out on Easter Sunday, so shouldn't be on here, I have a million things to do. When do you go?

Thank you deb, yeah I posted my own reply as you posted yours. Ended up answering my own question. I worry about fake sites and putting my credit card into random sites. (I have a friend who ended up paying over $100 for an esta visa that should have cost $15 due to being on an incorrect site) Thanks again, they both end up on the same place.

Oh how exciting @Deb7a ! Not long to go!!! I bet the samsung note would be a fraction of the price in the states too.

We are likely flying in early July to activate in lax. Settling in North Carolina after we sell up at the end of this year. Can't wait! Where are you going to settle?

Oh how exciting @Deb7a ! Not long to go!!! I bet the samsung note would be a fraction of the price in the states too.

We are likely flying in early July to activate in lax. Settling in North Carolina after we sell up at the end of this year. Can't wait! Where are you going to settle?
I think I would really love seeing North carolina. Or South for that matter. I might go over for a look around in the near future. I have a job in pueblo colorado so that's where I'm headed. Not my first choice but I know my future boss and she will look after me so it won't be quite as daunting as doing it all alone. I have three weeks before I go to pueblo so I am going to spend that time exploring colorado. I've hired an SUV so look out motorists! Lol
I wish I hadn't have left all this sorting out til the last minute. It makes this last week in Aus quite stressful. It doesn't help that I feel like I'm dying or something. Everyone just looks at me and cries. Especially my elderly parents. Talk about peeling the bandaid off slowly. I need to be gone. This is by far the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. So heart wrenching.

Last edited:
We were looking at Colorado too, just stunning there. We like the mild weather in nc and the employment there seems promising. Lucky you have a job to go to! We have to start fresh and sell up but have been wanting this for a long time so are looking forward to the move. Esp with the cost of living over here rising so much, we are better off in usa financially even with a significant pay drop we expect.
Haha driving will be fine, the rules make sense and everything is well sign posted. I always get in the drivers seat when I'm supposed to be passenger lol.
My family and friends will be upset too, but i cant put my life on hold to please others, if I didn't move, I would always be thinking what if? Life is an adventure to be lived! Elderly parents would be tough and extremely heart wrenching to leave however. I feel for you. Saying goodbye will be so hard but I bet they are also happy for you and your new adventure in the states.

@martinskypemartin
Thanks for the information. We are over here for two weeks so we were hoping to get SSN and maybe a bank account sorted. Bank account and getting a credit history would be great. But maybe not as easy as first thought. We may have hit a hurdle in getting our SSN as we only have our passports. We didn't bring our original birth cerificates with us ( I know. Bad mistake. But I was just not thinking about it ). Might not even be able to get our SSN sorted. Going to go in and ask anyways. If not. We have Citibank and hsbc in Australia so was thinking of setting up accounts with them and maybe be able to get "some credit history" transferred across. Every bit counts I would say. Can only do what you can do.
I didn't have my birth certificate when I went to the SSA to sort out my SSN. They did ask for it, but I said I didn't have it on me so they just used my passport. The real problem you're going to have is if you don't have a permanent address, because they send you your SSN card to whatever address you provide 1-2 weeks after you go in, you don't get it on the day.

Thanks @cj27 you are right. It is a huge adventure and they are happy for me. My kids are fine. They are grown up. It's my soon to be ex husband and my dog I'm struggling with. And I too have wanted to do this for a very long time and I feel so lucky to have got this opportunity. I still have to pinch myself sometimes. My sisters can come home now and babysit my parents. It's there turn to do it and my turn to fly. It would be very exciting going this with family and I wish you all the best. I agree that life is getting way too expensive here.

@CBDK, @Kiel, @FBO, @SophiaP, did you all get an email today from the Consulate in Sydney regarding documents to bring etc?

If so, just a reminder that I converted the PDF checklists into Word and saved the word documents (for both principal and derivatives) into our Dropbox. We've lived in a few places over the years so it made the previous addresses section, in particular, alot easier to navigate by typing, as opposed to writing, it all in.

:)

I didn't have my birth certificate when I went to the SSA to sort out my SSN. They did ask for it, but I said I didn't have it on me so they just used my passport. The real problem you're going to have is if you don't have a permanent address, because they send you your SSN card to whatever address you provide 1-2 weeks after you go in, you don't get it on the day.
Thanks for the info
We did go into the SSA yesterday. What a lovely place that is. We unfortunately couldn't do much at all. We asked if our SSN had been processed when we entered the U.S. They told us that he couldn't find out on the system until 21 days after our visa was issued. Which was the 13th March. So have to wait until 4th April to see if ticking the box on the ds260 actually worked. However. Another issue is the fact that you can't apply for a SSN in a different state to where you want it delivered. We have an address in New York but we are in Florida at the moment and we couldn't reapply. So we are going to wait until the 4th April and see if has been processed. If it has all good. If not we will have to come up with a new plan. I really want to sort something out including a bank account before we leave. Hopefully even a secured credit card. I know people say don't use a mail forwarding office as an address but do you really think it will put a bad mark against us? I really just want a $500 secured credit card to use the next 6 months to get some credit rating before we move over in December.