• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Thank you for replying. I have been at the immigration office today and the only thind they said you have to wait we are working on your case. I dont know what I should do.

Thank you for replying. I have been at the immigration office today and the only thind they said you have to wait we are working on your case. I dont know what I should do.

Contact your congressman/woman's office and request for them to do a follow up with USCIS on your behalf.

I'm sorry but what do you mean by contacting congressman/woman?? I'm not familiar with it would you explain how I can contact them please???

Thank you. I have another question please my visa will expire by September 2015 and the officer told that I dont have to renew it since I applied for I_485 is that true?? I have heard that I should maintain my status to go for an interview.

Thank you. I have another question please my visa will expire by September 2015 and the officer told that I dont have to renew it since I applied for I_485 is that true?? I have heard that I should maintain my status to go for an interview.

The fact that your I-485 was submitted and formally accepted by USCIS before your current visa expires means your still in status even if your visa now expires before you get called for an interview. Of course all 2015 DV based AOS cases must be approved by Sept 30th, the last date of the applicable fiscal year. I do expect your case to have been approved before Sept though, but assuming a worst case scenario it doesn't, then you will be considered to no longer be in status by the end of Sept 2015 when your current visa would also have expired.

p.s. What's your current visa status?

I hope I will receive my interview letter sooner because it has been 6 months since I did my fingerprints. I don't know why the Tampa office is so slow.

My friend was in Tampa and got her GC through DV lottery and just this month became a Citizen. Check my signature that has the time line of the GC process all the way through becoming a citizen and now petition for the parents to get a GC

My friend was in Tampa and got her GC through DV lottery and just this month became a Citizen. Check my signature that has the time line of the GC process all the way through becoming a citizen and now petition for the parents to get a GC
I would like to know when did ur friend apply for adjustment of status in the Tampa office?? Because I applied in october 2014 and im still waiting for my interview

That was in August 2009 (see my signature) and in Feb. 2010 The GC was approved. In between was the biometrics and medicals. The parents had the medicals done prior to sending in the package but that is a different situation since it is not under DV and therefore no waiting for A number.

Are you sure that you filled everything out correctly and if so it should come any day now.

Ok thank u for ur help. But I should stay in school is that correct??

Status questions aside (where the answer is yes anyway), surely you want to finish your degree?

I'm always intrigued by people who drop out of school when they get a green card...happens every year...

Status questions aside (where the answer is yes anyway), surely you want to finish your degree?

I'm always intrigued by people who drop out of school when they get a green card...happens every year...

Some people in such a situation might be considering dropping out with the mind of going back to complete their program after getting their GC since there's a big difference in payable tuition as a LPR and as a F1 visa holder.

Some people in such a situation might be considering dropping out with the mind of going back to complete their program after getting their GC since there's a big difference in payable tuition as a LPR and as a F1 visa holder.

Oh, ok. I sometimes got the impression some people had come in on F1 with the main intention to get a green card so dropped out when they did.
Are US universities really so flexible with their degree courses that you can just drop out for a semester or two and then go back again?

Oh, ok. I sometimes got the impression some people had come in on F1 with the main intention to get a green card so dropped out when they did.
Are US universities really so flexible with their degree courses that you can just drop out for a semester or two and then go back again?

Yes the colleges are mostly flexible should a student need to briefly drop out, they can be quite accommodating as long as they're informed. It's not unusual to run into students trying to complete a normal 4 year program in 5 or 6 years.

Some colleges will allow a student to take a leave of absence or deferrement upto 1 year which allows the student to return to the same school without having to reapply for admission. Students also have the option of filing a withdrawal - this ensures there's no F on their transcripts which would have otherwise impacted their GPA and make it more difficult to transfer to another school based on what they've done upto date. Some students just outrightly drop out though - they simply stop attending classes and turning in homework - a very bad way of handling the situation IMO though.

Yes I want to have my degree. The reason I asked about staying in school is f1 visa pay way more than green card holder.