Expired passport while on Pending Asylum application

Zhizel_me

Hello everyone! Maybe someone here can help me and give me a good advice. Im waiting for my asylum interview almost 3 years. 5 months ago i checked my status they said its still pending as they are very busy. While im waiting my passport from my country got expired last year, so I am not sure what to do with this. Someone told me that I have to renew my passport before I go to the interview, as I dont have any legal document now proving that i belong to any country. However, I think there is no sense to get a passport from a country im trying to refuse from to live. Especially, as they ask lots of documents proving why I am still in USA. Have someone experienced same situation or have any info about this matter? Should I renew the passport? If my case will be denied, what should I do in this case, as im sure i wont be able to come back to my country. Looking forward for all the advices and suggestions! Thanks

Talk to your lawyer. If you ask me you shouldn't renew your passport. If your home country is willing to renew it, it means that they are not persecuting you and willing to offer you consular protection