I-130 umarried child to married child

lee13079

My Father received I-797 on 2007. On that form, the Priority Date is Nov 2003 and the type is Unmarried Child of U.S. Citizen. But I got married on 2006 (I am at family-based 3rd category). Do I have to inform the USCIS that I got married and how? If I didn't do so, will my I-130 petition be rejected? Can my wife get Green Card with me at the same time?

Thank you!

You need to inform them that you are now married so that you are processed in the proper category . This is possible since your father was a US citizen at the time of filing for you as unmarried child and USCs may file for married children. And yes, in the proper category your wife (and children) may be added and come with you. Please check the USCIS documentation on family based immigration.

If you do not inform them and attempt to immigrate as unmarried, you will be removed when discovered. Don't even think about trying to use the unmarried option!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your answer! Should I inform the USCIS or NVC and what kind of form should I use?

Thanks again!

I have kind of the same issue. My mother who is a GC holder filed a I-130 for my sister when my sister was under 21. At the last stages when the DS 230 was filed in November 2009, my mother received a notice that due to my sister's age being now over 21, the application has been reclassified. My sister just received another notice today to complete a new DS 230. She is now married and has a new born child (2 months old). Does that mean that her application will be now rejected or what recourse does she have? Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Inform the NVC with regards to your marital status. A simple letter from you or your father should do the trick. Your wife (and children if any) will get GCs when you do.

My Father received I-797 on 2007. On that form, the Priority Date is Nov 2003 and the type is Unmarried Child of U.S. Citizen. But I got married on 2006 (I am at family-based 3rd category). Do I have to inform the USCIS that I got married and how? If I didn't do so, will my I-130 petition be rejected? Can my wife get Green Card with me at the same time?

Thank you!

Hi im leander, i have recieved a welcome letter from NVC indicates the step by step procedures to complete my immigrat visa and schedule me for interview. I was petition by my dad but i got married last aug. 2014 . Am i still eligable for my petition? Can i begin the step by step procedures given by NVC?

Thank you