Arrested after my citizenship test

Nelson123

Hello, hopefully somebody can help me because I am very worried about my citizenship process. I already had my interview in NY and I passed it. They told me to wait for my oath ceremony date but I committed a crime : "shoplifting" before I got my date for the oath ceremony. I know that at the day of the ceremony I have to answer a question "have you been arrested after your interview" if I answer yes then I am afraid they will deny my whole process. What about if I answer no?? Will they be able to find out later? how are they going to find out if I already passed my background check? Do they do another background check after the oath ceremony? What should I do?

If you answer falsely to the arrested question, they can revoke your citizenship and deport you if they find out later that you lied.

They don't routinely do background checks after the oath ceremony, but sometimes prosecutors will investigate the immigration history of suspects and convicts in an attempt to dig up something that can be used against them. As a result of such investigations, people who were arrested for one thing ended up having their green card or citizenship revoked for something else, including one where they had falsely claimed to be a US citizen for employment purposes.

It would probably delay your citizenship probably a long time but you must disclose it. You will need the disposition of your criminal case. I'd advise finding a good lawyer and try to fix that case. After the outcome of ityour citizenship can be predicted. Hiding it might cost you much more. You might be lucky and get away but always it can be found out in the future.

Those are all the "right" answers.

However, I'm not telling you what to do, but if it were me, I'd develop amnesia about my arrest.

As was stated, they don't do background checks between now and the ceremony, so you don't have to be paranoid and think, oh dear if I don't check the box they will arrest/deport me on the spot at the ceremony. They won't know.

As for the comment, about "if something comes up" in the future they can revoke your citizenship. The only time this has happened is rarer than haley's comet. And certainly not for something like "shoplifting", more along the lines of being a NAZI etc.

Your call, but for sure, if you check the box, expect delays.

I know what I'd do.

I already had my court date today and from Petit Larceny they reduced to disorderly conduct which is not a crime but a violation in NY. I pled guilty to disorderly conduct and I have a disposition letter. Therefore, my case was settled within 5 days. Should I send USCIS a letter letting them know that I was arrested and convicted of a violation?or should I wait until the day of the oath ceremony and bring the disposition letter with me that day?

That's really up to you to decide, however, there is no obligation for you to do anything between now and your oath. It's only at the oath and indicating on the form that you've been arrested.

However, if it were me, I wouldn't say anything.

You have to think, out of the millions of people that have gone through the oath ceremony, there must have been thousands to tens of thousands that had some little incident and didn't report it.

Like I said, I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just saying what I would do in your situation.

Can I please ask what went wrong in your head?
I am trying to undertand why a person will do such a thing?

Those are all the "right" answers.

However, I'm not telling you what to do, but if it were me, I'd develop amnesia about my arrest.

As was stated, they don't do background checks between now and the ceremony, so you don't have to be paranoid and think, oh dear if I don't check the box they will arrest/deport me on the spot at the ceremony. They won't know.

As for the comment, about "if something comes up" in the future they can revoke your citizenship. The only time this has happened is rarer than haley's comet. And certainly not for something like "shoplifting", more along the lines of being a NAZI etc.

Your call, but for sure, if you check the box, expect delays.

I know what I'd do.

Hi djh, I am on the same boat, I already hired a lawyer, and wheb I askedher what should I put on the question #4, she said just put no, since U never got arrested, convicted,indicted, imprisoned, probation and no court charge as of right now. But I got cited/request to appeal, but she already took care of theat court appeal. What should I do?? Since she also told me that this case will not go anywhere when it get dismiss.