Green Card from 28 years ago!

chris brown

Hi all,

Thank you in advance for any comments.

I am a UK citizen and lived in California for about 2 years from 1982-1984.

I was aged 12-14 years of age.

Now I remember that I was given a separate green card when I turned 14 years old(if i remember correctly).

My mother is in posession of it at the moment. Unfortunately we don't really talk much so I haven't asked her for it back at this time.

Anyway, my question is am I able to re-enter the country with this card or can I re-new this one?

Much appreciated,

Chris

Hi all,

Thank you in advance for any comments.

I am a UK citizen and lived in California for about 2 years from 1982-1984.

I was aged 12-14 years of age.

Now I remember that I was given a separate green card when I turned 14 years old(if i remember correctly).

My mother is in posession of it at the moment. Unfortunately we don't really talk much so I haven't asked her for it back at this time.

Anyway, my question is am I able to re-enter the country with this card or can I re-new this one?

Much appreciated,

Chris

Are you sure it was a Green Card or was it a piece of card that was green (I94). The former would have required your parents to have gone through an immigration process. Let's assume it was a Green Card. The physical card will have expired by now (they are renewed every 10 years). However, a Green Card denotes a Lawful Permanent Resident. As an LPR you have the right to live there but can forfeit that right by extended periods of absence so it is likely that you will have some challenges - even if you have the card in hand. If I were you I would check with the US embassy in London to see the current position.

If you haven't figured it out already, as this post is old, your GC is expired.

You cannot re-enter on this and if you wish to come to the US to live, the clock starts over again on the whole process. So you will need to qualify for an appropriate visa.