I-130 Petition for Parents of US Citizens through Consular Processing.

thanks, memme!

Unfortunately, my father went with his friend (also undergoing immigration) and got the PCC from the police station :eek:. We are going to submit all supporting documents and then try to get an additional PCC from the passport office before his interview.

For now, I'll sit tight till I get his interview date, and then start looking into scheduling biometric appointment.

Heya guys,

First of all, thank you so much for this Great forum and especially for this Very Helpful thread.

I filed I-130 for my mom on 09/11/14, which was 11 days before she left US. She has 3 year Non-Immigrant Visa B2.We don't care about that (B2) since we understand we show that her intent have changed.

USCIS received I-130 on 09/17/14 and on 09/20/14 I already received I-797C (NoA) dated 09/18/14.

Whats next?
Sit tight and wait for decision?

Also there were 2 mistakes on I-130. In 17, I put only my sister, but not myself as a Son. Also in 22 I didn't leave it blank, but in second half for If your relative is not eligible for adjustment of status, he or she will apply for avisa abroad at the American consular post in: I put CITY and COUNTRY abroad.

I hope there will be no problem or complication.

Also, I made her sign Choice of Address and Agent, which I am planning to sent once my I-130 approved and will be transfered to NVC form USCIS and I will be given a case number.

Am I in the right path?

Thanks again,
Arbuzik

Hello, I'm new to this forum, Thank You all so much for such a wonderful community, I'm on the step of filing out the form DS-260, my mother is in my country, my question is, When we are done with the filling of the forma, can she scan all of them to me and I will mail it, Or I would need her to mail me the original ones and then I will mail it. ? thank you for your answer.! kindly appreciate it.

Most of the threads found here talked about USC parents being petitioned while they are currently in the USA through a nonimmigrant (visitor) visas.

Hi Colin. You mention that people can file concurrently I-130 and 485 if parents are on visitor visa. Correct me, as I dont think that assumption is correct?

Hello Immi-gurus there,

Thanks for all sharing these immigration matters. I am US Citizen living in NJ and plan to apply for I-130 for my mother, sister and brother. My father is no more and my mother is living with my sister and brother. My brother is going to cross 21 years by this year end (sister is already 21 years old) and both not married yet.

1. Should I file first my mother I-130 and once she is in US with on green card, ask her to file my brother and sister as they are unmarried to make it faster?

2. If the above is good option, does my mother need to work for filing GC/I-130 for brother and sister if they are not married yet?

3. As I am US Citizen, do you guys suggest me to file my sister and brother I-130 along with my mother from my-side right now? Can I use their approved I-130 priority dates later to other I130 filing through my mother to make it faster?

4. If I file I-130s for my brother and sister, US consulate centers will not issues visit or tourist or H1B visa in future if they approached for it. Is this true statement? Doe US law prohibits them other visas if they have I-130s applied?

I really appreciate for your answers.

Thanks for all sharing these immigration matters. I am US Citizen filed for my mother I-130 which is in progress. I want to file I-130 for my brother who is unmarried and 21 years in Dec 2014. He will be in F4 category and will have priority date of Dec2014. My mother might come on GC in Dec2015 as her file is in process. Once she is in US, if she filed for my brother who is unmarried still will be in F2B category which is faster. My question here is,

1. Will his previous priority date of F4 (Dec 2014) will be moved to F2B file (if F2B filed somewhere in 2016)?

2. Can we transfer priority dates irrespective of different petitioners under family immigration?

3. Does he need same petitioner to transfer priority dates from F4 (petitioner myself) to F2B (petitioner my mother )?

I really appreciate for your answers.

Hello everyone. I am getting ready to file for my parent's I-130. They're currently in US on visitor visa and plan to go back to India in about 2 months. Since they're here helping with our newborn but they still have many affairs to attend back in India, my goal is to ensure maximum flexibility for them to travel back and forth. Due to this, I do not want to file for 1-485 at same time as I-130.

Keeping this goal in mind, should I file for their I-130 (with Consular Processing option) immediately? Should I wait for them to return to India before filing? In either of these cases, would they be able to travel back to US on their visitor visa while application is in progress? What about when the I-130 has been approved - would they still be able to travel with their visitor visa while waiting for immigration visa interview?

Thank you.

Hello,
I am planning to fill I-130 for my mom soon and I would like to get prepared in advance and I have some basic questions:
- My mom is married to my Dad, they have both applied to visitor visas without success, my dad will not want to live permanently here (they are both retired) but I can see my mom staying here for a while, do you think it will be an issue if I only applied for my mom? would the Consulate officer wonder (when is about time to issue the visa) why I have not applied for my dad?
- Considering what I said earlier maybe I should apply for both just to make sure that things go well?
-My mom will be leaving the country where she live (where she will apply for the visa) for a few months to help my sister with a new baby in Europe, is there any document I should get from here in preparation of filling I-130, I am sure she will return in time for the immigration if it is approved?
Thanks

Heya guys,
Thanks again for all of your help!

I-130 for my Mom got Approved!
How much time do we have before she will go to get her Visa?

The reason I am asking is because her passport is about to EXPIRE in couple of weeks AND she wants to RENEW it which usually takes 2.5 months here.

Thank you in advance,
Arbuzik

How much time do we have before she will go to get her Visa?

The reason I am asking is because her passport is about to EXPIRE in couple of weeks AND she wants to RENEW it which usually takes 2.5 months here.

I'm not sure how long it will take, but I think she should go ahead and have it renewed before doing any more paperwork. The passport no. is likely to change and she'll have to carry both of them around and justify every single time why there are two different numbers in the paperwork. Plus, in some places, a visa will not be granted on a passport that expires within 6 months from the visa application.

Keeping this goal in mind, should I file for their I-130 (with Consular Processing option) immediately? Should I wait for them to return to India before filing? In either of these cases, would they be able to travel back to US on their visitor visa while application is in progress?

I sent in the I-130s (with CP) right after my mother left the U.S. (after coming here on a visitor's visa to help with my newborn). -- I waited because the form asks if the beneficiary is in the US at the time of the filling and asks for the I-94 no. She came back on the same visitor's visa while the I-130 was pending and there were no problems. I'm not sure how it will be now that the I-130 applications were approved.

-My mom will be leaving the country where she live (where she will apply for the visa) for a few months to help my sister with a new baby in Europe, is there any document I should get from here in preparation of filling I-130, I am sure she will return in time for the immigration if it is approved?

You'll just need her information and copies of the required supporting documents for the I-130 (marriage certificates, etc.) -- see the I-130 instructions for this. I think you can go ahead and file the I-130 now since it can take even 5 months for it to be approved and it won't matter if she's at home or travelling to Europe during this time.

I'm not sure how long it will take, but I think she should go ahead and have it renewed before doing any more paperwork. The passport no. is likely to change and she'll have to carry both of them around and justify every single time why there are two different numbers in the paperwork. Plus, in some places, a visa will not be granted on a passport that expires within 6 months from the visa application.
Thanks fjelltronen,

I just got a I-797 (NoA) saying that I-130 petition for my Mom, who is currently overseas has been Approved.
Right before she left I asked her to sign a Choice Of Agent appointing me as her Agent.

Is now the time when I have to send it?
If so, where should I send it?
What else I should enclose?

Thanks fjelltronen,

I just got a I-797 (NoA) saying that I-130 petition for my Mom, who is currently overseas has been Approved.
Right before she left I asked her to sign a Choice Of Agent appointing me as her Agent.

My I-130 applications just got approved as well. I expect to receive the mail notifications (I-797) tomorrow. Right now I have no idea what it says and what are the instructions it gives. I went out online to try to find official information about the next steps and this is what I found:

after the approval: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/approved.html

it looks like the NVC needs to send out some information: http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/approved/contact.html

I'm not sure if they send this notification/instructions to the petitioner (me) or the applicants (my parents), but, it looks like we really need to wait for them to contact us before anything else (to let us know that they received the file from USCIS). It seems like the first step, the choice of agent, can be done online if you have a case number (I'm not sure which number this is -- it could be the USCIS case # or maybe a new one from NVC). I tried to login into the ceac website, but it didn't work with the information I have right now -- which means that it's either incorrect (I need a new case # from NVC) or that they have not received my petitions from USCIS just yet.

Thanks fjelltronen,

I'm positive you'll be able to use the signed form that she left with you and it looks like it's the next step, but I'm not sure about the timing since you want to make sure that NVC has your petition from USCIS before submitting the choice-of-agent form. I plan on waiting for their e-mail/mail and then file the choice-of-agent form online or whatever the instructions are in the secure CEAC website. I'm certain they will have instructions there on where to submit printed/paper choice-of-agent forms, similar to the one you already have signed.

It seems like the first step, the choice of agent, can be done online if you have a case number (I'm not sure which number this is -- it could be the USCIS case # or maybe a new one from NVC). I tried to login into the ceac website, but it didn't work with the information I have right now -- which means that it's either incorrect (I need a new case # from NVC) or that they have not received my petitions from USCIS just yet.

I read on about the next steps of the NVC processing and they mention this in one of their pages:

You will also need your NVC Case Number and Invoice ID Number (located on the NVC Welcome Letter you received from us).
which means that there will be a new case# and other information in the letter they send out.

Gotcha! Thanks a lot!

So we sit tight until Welcome letter from NVC?

PS. Btw, how much are IV and AOS fees?

Last edited:
Gotcha! Thanks a lot!

You're welcome! :)

Yeah! Just wait for their letter. I tried to find more information on it and I've read through this forum (not sure which thread had the information) that both the petitioner and the beneficiary receive this welcome letter and that it can take up to 2 months for it to arrive after the approval of the I-130. This person was actually calling NVC to ask if they received the approved petition (after 4-5 weeks had passed) and they had it, but had not assigned a case number to it, so they still needed to wait (another 2-3 weeks).

The AOS fee is $120. The IV fee is $325. -- http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/fees/fees-visa-services.html

Last edited:
Gotcha! Thanks a lot!

I'll definitely be waiting for at least 30 days for the welcoming letter from NVC. I'll contact them about the cases after that. I'm glad the I-797 gives all the information required for this. It also states that the beneficiary is the one that's going to receive the letter (makes sense, but I wish it were sent to the petitioner as well). Hopefully, it'll get there soon.

I'll definitely be waiting for at least 30 days for the welcoming letter from NVC. I'll contact them about the cases after that. I'm glad the I-797 gives all the information required for this. It also states that the beneficiary is the one that's going to receive the letter (makes sense, but I wish it were sent to the petitioner as well). Hopefully, it'll get there soon.
Thanks fjelltronen!

So that's when we gonna send Change Of Agent?
Once they get Welcome letter?