• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

I guess there's a time limit for edits. For the "copies of tax return transcripts for the past 3 years," are the transcripts that can be downloaded from the IRS website what they mean? And if so, which ones do they want (account/record of account/return/wage transcipts?

Send whatever you downloaded from the IRS website or received by mail from the IRS as tax returns.

And, another question, last one for tonight. Any particular reason why not all the vaccinations in the medical form made it to the google doc? Is it because we're out of the age range? And if I had the Tetanus shot as a kid, would they do it again (because it's most likely expired)

- Yes
- Yes

Hello All, I received my IL today finally, and funny fact it was just after going to a pointless infopass yesterday. Here are some details about my adventure. I arrived at my FO about 15min before my infopass time, and it wasn't long before they called my number to a window. When I arrived in front of the window, the lady did not let me explain my situation completely and she went on and on for five minutes explaining the usual B*llSh** about how I have to wait a lot more time because I485 takes over 1 year and a half to process and that DV base application are not expedited and are under the same timeline as other cases. But when she finally decided to let me talk I ask nicely and with a smile, like this :) if she could still take a look and she agreed. She went away and after about 10min she came back and told me that my case was here in the building but she could not answer any other question about it because she did not have access to the file and she wanted to call the service in question but they were already closed, of course. So then she agreed to take my number, and to call them the following day then to contact me to let me know about my case. But surprise, surprise! No call today. Anyway I'm glad that my case did not have any issue and that they were finally able to send me the IL. Now waiting for the big day and crossing my fingers.

Congratulations and all the best with the interview.

Hello Mom,
I successfully updated my new address online. I just wanted to know if I had to update it for my husband too? I am the principal applicant and my husband is the dependent.

Hello Mom,
I successfully updated my new address online. I just wanted to know if I had to update it for my husband too? I am the principal applicant and my husband is the dependent.

It doesn't matter that you're the PA. Every one who is not a U.S. citizen is required to inform USCIS of their new address every time they move. So your husband needs to update his address too.

Hi Mom,

Today I received an IL with the interview date in about 40 days. But I have some questions about the list of documents (from IL) I will have to bring on the Interview. Currently I am F-1 visa student
What do those documents mean:
1. Evidence of your sponsor`s and/or co-sponsor`s United States Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident Status
2.Your petitioner`s Birth certificate and your petitioner`s evidence of United States Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident Status

Thank you!

Medical is valid for 6 months effective Mar. 1st, 2015. You can either go ahead and do it now, or wait a couple of days for the next VB to come out and decide whether to go ahead and do it or not - your call.
Hello Mom,

I was not aware of this change in the validity of the medical exam. Does it mean that if we make the exam on march 5th for example and get interviewed in september 15th then the IO may consider that the I-693 expired?
thanks

Well most times, I've come to realize overthinking things ends up complicating what could have otherwise been a simple and straightforward issue, it prevents us from seeing a simple solution which more often than not is staring one in the face, so at the end of the day it's of no use doing so!

- The file number section on the G-325A form starts with 'A' so obviously it's asking for the Alien number
- Regarding the forms listed as optional, the idea is for each person to determine if it's applicable to them or not, that's not a call I can make for everyone
  • You obviously don't need it considering the fact that your OPT is valid till September (which happens to be the end of the FY anyway), and the fact that your employer is also filing H1-B for you.
  • The AP card has no bearing on what your employer is filing for you.
  • Just the I-797D is fine, and nothing wrong with including a copy of the EAD card itself
- You schedule the medical yourself
- Yes
- Yes, a recently issued Verification of Employment letter would be great

Mom, I am taking my employment agreement along with W2s and paychecks with me to the interview. Would you recommend getting a separate verification letter as well for the interview?
Please let me know.
Thanks!

Thanks for the reassurance guys! I have an infopass scheduled in just over a week so I will mention the KCC thing then too, actually now that I think back I'm pretty sure I remember a lady at KCC telling me the same thing that I have to contact NY office to schedule an interview, I didn't say anything to her but technically I can say this to them even if we know it is not how it works. @Kk99 sorry to hear the infopass wasn't that helpful, hopefully your IL turns up very soon - I always assumed they would process the applications in the order they receive them but I guess that is not the case. It probably does not help matters that the Queens office is closed and all the cases are being sent to NY office, I am guessing that is creating a backlog. I will update after I have the infopass, hopefully I will have something helpful to share.
@ndubs, any update on your case or INFOPASS? I scheduled another INFOPASS tomorrow since the first one wasn't helpful and I still have not received the IL.

Hi Mom,

Today I received an IL with the interview date in about 40 days. But I have some questions about the list of documents (from IL) I will have to bring on the Interview. Currently I am F-1 visa student
What do those documents mean:
1. Evidence of your sponsor`s and/or co-sponsor`s United States Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident Status
2.Your petitioner`s Birth certificate and your petitioner`s evidence of United States Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Resident Status

Thank you!

Phew! Finally!! Congratulations :)

The letter they sent you is obviously a generic interview letter your FO uses, nothing to worry about. However, if you're going with an affidavit of support (as a back up financial document plan), then you certainly need to have a copy of the sponsor's documents such as US passport/LPR card and W2/1099.

All the best!

Hello Mom,

I was not aware of this change in the validity of the medical exam. Does it mean that if we make the exam on march 5th for example and get interviewed in september 15th then the IO may consider that the I-693 expired?
thanks

That's a newly initiated policy, and like I posted earlier, IOs are notorious for not being aware of the new policies being initiated by their superiors. They may or may not treat the medical report as expired based on the scenario described, hard for me to say.

Mom, I am taking my employment agreement along with W2s and paychecks with me to the interview. Would you recommend getting a separate verification letter as well for the interview?
Please let me know.
Thanks!

If you can, I would suggest you go ahead and get it, however I don't think it would be a show spoiler if you don't have it.

Phew! Finally!! Congratulations :)

The letter they sent you is obviously a generic interview letter your FO uses, nothing to worry about. However, if you're going with an affidavit of support (as a back up financial document plan), then you certainly need to have a copy of the sponsor's documents such as US passport/LPR card and W2/1099.

All the best!

Thank you Mom! I just don`t understand about sponsor's documents such as US passport/LPR card and W2/1099
1. I am F1 visa student and the only sponsor is my relative in US who pays for my education, do I need to provide his documents?
2. I am working as Graduate assistant and don`t have a lot of many on my Bank account yet, do I still need to provide my account statements?
3. Please let me know what documents from my work at university I have to bring on Interview, I didn`t find that info in the Spreadsheet.

Thank you Mom! I just don`t understand about sponsor's documents such as US passport/LPR card and W2/1099
1. I am F1 visa student and the only sponsor is my relative in US who pays for my education, do I need to provide his documents?
2. I am working as Graduate assistant and don`t have a lot of many on my Bank account yet, do I still need to provide my account statements?
3. Please let me know what documents from my work at university I have to bring on Interview, I didn`t find that info in the Spreadsheet.

Since you're on a F1 visa, and I don't know if your income meets the applicable poverty income level or not, and because of the fact that IOs often ask F1 visa holders in particular for an affidavit, I suggest you request your relative who has been paying for your education to fill out form I-134 (Affidavit of Support) for you. This is to convince the IO you will not become a public charge. Your relative will need to provide you with copies of their US passport or GC, if the person is a LPR, and W2 or 1099 if self employed. These are the documents required to be presented in support of the affidavit.

Nothing wrong with still showing up with your own bank statements.

Ask your employer for an employment verification letter.

That's a newly initiated policy, and like I posted earlier, IOs are notorious for not being aware of the new policies being initiated by their superiors. They may or may not treat the medical report as expired based on the scenario described, hard for me to say.
thank you. So we will do it in april it is probably safer.

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice on my situation!

I'm currently in the US on a J1 visa, valid until December 2, 2015. I was selected in the 2015 lottery, but as I wasn't sure I was going to be in the US I went with consular processing. I got assigned an interview on the 10th of March, which I had to cancel as I couldn't make it. So now I'm trying to figure out whether it would be better to try to reschedule my appointment (is this possible?), or apply for AOS. My visa number is fairly low (in the 790s), and I heard that AOS takes quite a while, so I'm worried about missing out if I go this route.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Hi, I was hoping to get some advice on my situation!

I'm currently in the US on a J1 visa, valid until December 2, 2015. I was selected in the 2015 lottery, but as I wasn't sure I was going to be in the US I went with consular processing. I got assigned an interview on the 10th of March, which I had to cancel as I couldn't make it. So now I'm trying to figure out whether it would be better to try to reschedule my appointment (is this possible?), or apply for AOS. My visa number is fairly low (in the 790s), and I heard that AOS takes quite a while, so I'm worried about missing out if I go this route.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

When you cancelled your appointment did you ask to reschedule? What embassy is that? Rescheduling the CP interview could be the fastest route. You are current and if they can reschedule for another time in March you'll be all set. However, sometimes when people reschedule they get assigned a date for very late in the process and will have gone almost to the back of the line.

As you have guessed you could also try a switch to AOS. You would need to check if KCC would make that change. Basically their perspective is, that once they set up an interview - they have handed you off. So - you could expect some difficulties with that approach (because it is outside the norm).

That being said, you could file for AOS immediately (even before KCC respond) and some AOS cases are processed quite fast. However, toward the end of the AOS process the Field Office (FO) processing your case will request your DV file from KCC - so they will need to have switched you to AOS by that time. Again - it might help to know which FO you would be going through.

When you cancelled your appointment did you ask to reschedule? What embassy is that? Rescheduling the CP interview could be the fastest route. You are current and if they can reschedule for another time in March you'll be all set. However, sometimes when people reschedule they get assigned a date for very late in the process and will have gone almost to the back of the line.

As you have guessed you could also try a switch to AOS. You would need to check if KCC would make that change. Basically their perspective is, that once they set up an interview - they have handed you off. So - you could expect some difficulties with that approach (because it is outside the norm).

That being said, you could file for AOS immediately (even before KCC respond) and some AOS cases are processed quite fast. However, toward the end of the AOS process the Field Office (FO) processing your case will request your DV file from KCC - so they will need to have switched you to AOS by that time. Again - it might help to know which FO you would be going through.

Thanks for responding. This is all with the Sydney, Australia consulate. I didn't actually ask to cancel, I just mentioned I wouldn't be able to make the appointment so they cancelled it for me, so I've emailed them asking if rescheduling is possible.

The only question mark with applying for AOS is it says I need to submit proof that a visa number is available for me, which I don't think I have - I just have the email informing me of my (now cancelled) appointment. My visa number just became valid this month.

Thanks for responding. This is all with the Sydney, Australia consulate. I didn't actually ask to cancel, I just mentioned I wouldn't be able to make the appointment so they cancelled it for me, so I've emailed them asking if rescheduling is possible.

The only question mark with applying for AOS is it says I need to submit proof that a visa number is available for me, which I don't think I have - I just have the email informing me of my (now cancelled) appointment. My visa number just became valid this month.

Who told you you need to "submit proof that a visa number is available for" you before you can process AOS?

To start with, I actually hope you haven't just shot yourself in the foot by just canceling an already scheduled interview without requesting for a new date. Even though you did not request to cancel, just telling them you can't make it without requesting a new date is a cancellation request.

You need to make up your mind fast if you still want to process CP or will be switching over to AOS. If sticking with CP, you need to get in touch with the embassy right away and request for a need date, and fingers crossed they will oblige and assign you a new one. If switching to AOS, the first thing you need to let us know is if you're subject to a 2 year home residency requirement since you're on J1. If you are, you will need to apply for and obtain a waiver before you can submit your AOS package. You will also need to contact KCC right away to let them know you're switching to AOS so that they can initiate the process of retrieving your case file from the embassy.

Who told you you need to "submit proof that a visa number is available for" you before you can process AOS?

To start with, I actually hope you haven't just shot yourself in the foot by just canceling an already scheduled interview without requesting for a new date. Even though you did not request to cancel, just telling them you can't make it without requesting a new date is a cancellation request.

You need to make up your mind fast if you still want to process CP or will be switching over to AOS. If sticking with CP, you need to get in touch with the embassy right away and request for a need date, and fingers crossed they will oblige and assign you a new one. If switching to AOS, the first thing you need to let us know is if you're subject to a 2 year home residency requirement since you're on J1. If you are, you will need to apply for and obtain a waiver before you can submit your AOS package. You will also need to contact KCC right away to let them know you're switching to AOS so that they can initiate the process of retrieving your case file from the embassy.

On the USCIS website it says you must "have an immigrant visa immediately available at the time of filing an adjustment application (Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status)" to be eligible to submit your I-485. I'm not subject to the 2-year residency requirement. I might just try to see if I can reschedule my appointment. Thanks for your help.