• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 winners from Europe

My interview is in a month, and my medical is coming up, too. And even though it looks like everything is in good shape (just waiting for a PC from Germany now), I'm worrying about EVERYTHING now...

Two slight issues remain:

I did high school in Germany. I have a certified translation of my original high school diploma, but the original high school diploma itself no longer exists. Instead, I have a copy of the high school diploma (in German), certified by a notary public. My questions:
a) Is a true copy of the original document in lieu of the actual original document good enough?
b) Do I need to get another certified translation of the true copy, because TECHNICALLY the translation I have is a translation of the original document, not of the certified copy. And even though the content of the original document and the certified copy is obviously identical, strictly speaking the translation is not a translation of the certified copy, but rather of the original. I'll take the better safe than sorry approach and get another translation, even though that's probably overkill.
I also have a one-page document from my high school (for German social security purposes) confirming in 3 sentences that I attended the school, the dates I attended, and that I successfully completed the final high school exam (Abitur). On top of that, I also have military records that confirm that I completed high school in Germany.
So I guess that I have enough documents showing that I completed high school, it just bothers me a bit that I do no longer have the original high school diploma.

According to that document from high school, my high school entrance date on the DS-260 is off by 5 days, same month though (and 25 years ago). Is that going to be an issue? I entered the info on the DS-260 on a good-faith and best effort basis and had until recently no way of confirming the exact entry date.

Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I lived there for 9-10 months @Sm1smom . At the embassy, when I approached the first window to hand in the documents, the lady told me the same (I would need the PC) but agreed with me when I told to have followed the residence time specifics as per DV instructions. However she warned me to expect the same request from the CO (which happened). Well, patience... I started right away the application to get the PC. Once I get this document, should I mail it to the embassy together with my passport?
I'm sorry to hear you were put on AP! Anyway there is nothing to worry as it seems evrth went fine with the interview. Once you provide the papers they're going to call you for your passports.
Btw (in my case) we sent the required additional to the Embassy, and then 2 weeks after.... they sent us an email asking us to send the passports via courier for our visas to be issued.
Good luck Flori and (suksese)! :)
Hope you get it ASAP!

Thanks to all people who answered my questions and have posted useful information, I got visa :) without sponsor, CO didn't ask about it, thanks to my financial assets and my professional experience, I think so :)
Questions were standard as are written here many times, nothing special.

I'm sorry to hear you were put on AP! Anyway there is nothing to worry as it seems evrth went fine with the interview. Once you provide the papers they're going to call you for your passports.
Btw (in my case) we sent the required additional to the Embassy, and then 2 weeks after.... they sent us an email asking us to send the passports via courier for our visas to be issued.
Good luck Flori and (suksese)! :)
Hope you get it ASAP!
Hey @Bleri thank you very much for this clarification and for your support :) Hope everything´s fine for you!

If you can prove the trip was only 9 to 10 months (in other words entry and exit dates, flights and so on) then in theory you shouldn't have to provide the PC. But what if they think you might have been there 13 months? The question is, do you want to have that argument in your interview and risk AP, or would you rather play it safe. Given the experience of Flori, I think I would play it safe....
I back @Britsimon ´s advice to play safe, even though I´m sure @Pelle can prove the residence duration by passport stamps (I could have done that too but saw no point of arguing with the CO). On the other hand you can print the embassy reply by email and take it to the interview. Definitely Bern embassy will be more consistent than Tirana...

Reactions: esa
Well, there's no need to snap at me, I only told you what I would have done since I believe in better "safe than being sorry". Like Simon rightly pointed out above, if a person is going to own up to being in a country for about 9 - 10 months and there's no entry and exit stamp to confirm the duration of the stay, there's nothing to stop them from thinking the person actually stayed longer than they're claiming. I mean look at your initial response when I asked how long your stay was, you weren't quite specific as to the precise duration of your stay! Sorry I asked and followed up with a response!!
I agree with you @Sm1smom and I learned from this experience (like you say) to play safe than being sorry. Actually I had the stamps as proof in my old (diplomatic) passport but didn´t opt to argue since I thought the CO would still had asked for a PC.

BTW, I applied by e-mail (the same day of the interview) for a PC in Belgium and they confirmed issuance of certificate and sending by regular mail the same day, for free !!! What a country :) definitely much better than UK (clear instructions but expensive and long processing) and Italy (poor instructions, out-fashioned payment method and long processing). No hard feelings @Britsimon :)

I agree with you @Sm1smom and I learned from this experience (like you say) to play safe than being sorry. Actually I had the stamps as proof in my old (diplomatic) passport but didn´t opt to argue since I thought the CO would still had asked for a PC.

BTW, I applied by e-mail (the same day of the interview) for a PC in Belgium and they confirmed issuance of certificate and sending by regular mail the same day, for free !!! What a country :) definitely much better than UK (clear instructions but expensive and long processing) and Italy (poor instructions, out-fashioned payment method and long processing). No hard feelings @Britsimon :)

UK ACRO have to charge a few pounds because Britain sends so much money to, guess where - Brussels! So - it's not surprising they can afford to do things for free! :p:p:D

Dear britsimon and others,

I have been reading this article at your web, http://britsimonsays.com/about-health-insurance-in-the-usa-some-explanation/
very helpful, but I do still have questions and also I need sugesstions of what to do, please...

Public charge, Afidavit of Support , proof of funds ($20k approx, for a family) and a health insurance coverage.

as a newcomers, can we go to "health and public services for familes" and request help from them or not, because we have an Afidavit of Support and we cant be public charge and use those benefits, thats OK for Food Help and Cash Help, because we had a sponsor, but can we go for at least health coverage and ask for help or enroll as a family without any income and get coverage with low monthly payment for health coverage.

can we do that or its against the law.

thnaks

Dear britsimon and others,

I have been reading this article at your web, http://britsimonsays.com/about-health-insurance-in-the-usa-some-explanation/
very helpful, but I do still have questions and also I need sugesstions of what to do, please...

Public charge, Afidavit of Support , proof of funds ($20k approx, for a family) and a health insurance coverage.

as a newcomers, can we go to "health and public services for familes" and request help from them or not, because we have an Afidavit of Support and we cant be public charge and use those benefits, thats OK for Food Help and Cash Help, because we had a sponsor, but can we go for at least health coverage and ask for help or enroll as a family without any income and get coverage with low monthly payment for health coverage.

can we do that or its against the law.

thnaks

Some info here on ACA type options. https://www.healthcare.gov/unemployed/

You can get coverage, but it takes time and is expensive. Plus the hassle of getting healthcare setup when you expect to go on a employment provided benefit plan a month later (as soon as you find work) makes it a "pain in the ass". If you plan to be not working for a while, or you think your work won't give you health benefits and you have plenty of money, then you can enroll in ACA (Obamacare). However, that won't suit everyone. I think that leaves a sort of gap of how to be covered in the interim, or on activation trips. Travel insurance is not a great solution because there will be loopholes for people taking up residence in the USA, and the costs of Healthcare in the USA could easily exceed coverage limits on a travel plan and you might need to pay to get reimbursed. So - I have been talking to a company that provides new immigrants insurance. I want to understand the terms and limitations, but it might be a good option for a short period (a month or two). It is quite cheap - what I am trying to confirm is whether it is any good. Once I know more I'll post something on my blog.

You can get coverage, but it takes time and is expensive. Plus the hassle of getting healthcare setup when you expect to go on a employment provided benefit plan a month later (as soon as you find work) makes it a "pain in the ass". If you plan to be not working for a while, or you think your work won't give you health benefits and you have plenty of money, then you can enroll in ACA (Obamacare). However, that won't suit everyone. I think that leaves a sort of gap of how to be covered in the interim, or on activation trips. Travel insurance is not a great solution because there will be loopholes for people taking up residence in the USA, and the costs of Healthcare in the USA could easily exceed coverage limits on a travel plan and you might need to pay to get reimbursed. So - I have been talking to a company that provides new immigrants insurance. I want to understand the terms and limitations, but it might be a good option for a short period (a month or two). It is quite cheap - what I am trying to confirm is whether it is any good. Once I know more I'll post something on my blog.

Interesting question. Just to clarify: A DV winner does not NEED to have medical insurance in the US prior to entering the country, right?

Another issue came up in my case: I noticed on my 2nl that my address at the top of the letter is wrong. It has my correct Canadian address, except that it says "Germany" instead of "Canada". Street, apt # and postal code are correct though. Germany is not my current country of residence, but it is my country of chargeability

At first I thought I made a stupid mistake when I entered the DS-260 data, but I checked, and the data I provided is correct. So my question is, should I contact the consulate about this (the 2nl says that from now on I should contact the consulate rather than the KCC), or simply point this out during my interview?

Interesting question. Just to clarify: A DV winner does not NEED to have medical insurance in the US prior to entering the country, right?

Another issue came up in my case: I noticed on my 2nl that my address at the top of the letter is wrong. It has my correct Canadian address, except that it says "Germany" instead of "Canada". Street, apt # and postal code are correct though. Germany is not my current country of residence, but it is my country of chargeability

At first I thought I made a stupid mistake when I entered the DS-260 data, but I checked, and the data I provided is correct. So my question is, should I contact the consulate about this (the 2nl says that from now on I should contact the consulate rather than the KCC), or simply point this out during my interview?

No you can arrive without insurance.

Point out the error in the interview.

No you can arrive without insurance.

Point out the error in the interview.

Thanks for the confirmation, much appreciated!

I'm (European living in Canada) currently also applying for permanent residence in Canada, but only because I never expected to become a DV selectee in the first place. This application is obvious from my current status in Canada.

There was nothing on the DV website that suggested that applying for PR in more than one country makes one inadmissible, but could this still be held against me? If it was offered to me, I'd of course accept the GC and move to the US.

I'm (European living in Canada) currently also applying for permanent residence in Canada, but only because I never expected to become a DV selectee in the first place. This application is obvious from my current status in Canada.

There was nothing on the DV website that suggested that applying for PR in more than one country makes one inadmissible, but could this still be held against me? If it was offered to me, I'd of course accept the GC and move to the US.

Having simultaneous applications is not an issue for the DV. However, once you have your GC, applying for residence somewhere else could be used as evidence that you have abandoned your US LPR status.

As britsimon says, it will not prevent you being issued an immigrant visa, but if you are deemed to reside elsewhere you will lose your green card once you have it. From what I've seen, the US rules on this are far stricter than the Canadian ones, so it may be worthwhile familiarizing yourself with both.

thanks Britsimon, please share as soon as you have that company link please

As britsimon says, it will not prevent you being issued an immigrant visa, but if you are deemed to reside elsewhere you will lose your green card once you have it. From what I've seen, the US rules on this are far stricter than the Canadian ones, so it may be worthwhile familiarizing yourself with both.
dear sussie,

could you please tell us where it says that you cant have both residencies. As far as I know, you must live in US, or enter US once a year or the worse case stay outside not more than 6 months. At USCIS webpage it doesnt say that you cant have dual resdiencies, lets say US green card and Canadian PR, or Australian, or New Zealand

btw, I am almost same as tiberueEU,

I have got both visas, DV as everyone here, and few months before DV visa, I got my Canadian immigrant visa as well. Now what I wanna do is that, I will go in US, make US my permanent home, and after 4 months I will have to enter CAnada and activate my Canaidan PR, stay few days in Canada and return in US, will that be a problem.... , because I can easily stay outside of Canada (3 years) and continue my life in US, and I will have 3 years to see if US is the country where I can live, and choose to loose canadian pr or go there.

tell me please if I am doing wrong

thanks

Last edited:
dear sussie,

could you please tell us where it says that you cant have both residencies. As far as I know, you must live in US, or enter US once a year or the worse case stay outside not more than 6 months. At USCIS webpage it doesnt say that you cant have dual resdiencies, lets say US green card and Canadian PR, or Australian, or New Zealand

thanks

Your understanding of what is required to maintain a US permanent residency is completely flawed. Permanent residency means exactly that PERMANENT. Your main place of abode, not a place you visit once a year.

And this is what USCIS says about maintaining permanent residency:

Abandoning Permanent Resident Status

You may also lose your permanent resident status by intentionally abandoning it. You may be found to have abandoned your status if you:

• Move to another country, intending to live there permanently.
  • Remain outside of the United States for an extended period of time, unless you intended this to be a temporary absence, as shown by:
    • The reason for your trip;
    • How long you intended to be absent from the United States;
    • Any other circumstances of your absence; and
    • Any events that may have prolonged your absence.
    • Note: Obtaining a re-entry permit from USCIS before you leave, or a returning resident visa (SB-1) from a U.S. consulate while abroad, may assist you in showing that you intended only a temporary absence.
  • Fail to file income tax returns while living outside of the United States for any period.
  • Declare yourself a “nonimmigrant” on your U.S. tax returns.
http://www.uscis.gov/green-card/after-green-card-granted/maintaining-permanent-residence

If your plan is to spend six months in the US and the next six months in Canada, you will eventually loose your US permanent residency for sure! You cannot maintain "permanent homes" in 2 countries at the same time.

dear,
thanks for reply,

No, I want this, go in US, start a job, make US my permanent home. After 4 months enter Canada just to activate my PR, stay few days, and return back in US, and give myself 3 years time in my head wheather return to Canada and live or say goodbye.

tell me if this above is illegal
please

Thanks Britsimon, thanks SusieQQQ for your swift replies! I really appreciate the help and perspective you bring to my situation. Do you see any problems with the following scenario:

If my interview next month is successful, I'll wait until I get my passport back, then quit my job, and travel to the US for a few days to get the actual visa at the border and make some initial arrangements. Then I'd return to Canada for about 2-4 weeks to sell a few remaining items and take care of some final paperwork before I return to the US permanently. I would also no longer pursue my PR application for Canada.