• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

Well, from kindergarten (5-6) they are in the public school system. If you're lucky your school will have a cheap aftercare center. It's really only the pre-K that is expensive - obviously with a new baby that is a lot of years of expensive though, especially if you are going to be minimum wage or not much above that.
I will need lady luck to keep smiling down on me. I hope it works out.

Hi,
I sent email to KCCDV@state.gov about my case
Case Number: 2015EU000061**
form submitted: August 2014
reopen : September and submitted October
and I received this by email :
Your forms have been received and pending further embassy review for the continuation of your visa processing. Interviews are scheduled numerically based on case numbers that have completed processing. KCC is currently scheduling visa numbers for your region for the month of April. Please refer to the visa bulletin at www.travel.state.gov to locate the current numbers being processed. This bulletin is updated after the 15th day of each month.

can you help me to understand when my interview is ????

The email simply means your DS260 is completely processed. As you are current, you will be scheduled for a May interview. You will receive the interview date in about 3 to 4 weeks time.

We had our interview yesterday in Kuala Lumpur. I’m glad to say that our visas were APPROVED :)

Thank god, the endless stress and worrisome regarding whether I would make it or not has now ended. Now starts the planning and preparation for the big move.

Since there aren’t any winners interviewing in Kuala Lumpur in this forum (aside from someone back in 2006), I struggled to know what it’s like or what the process is at the US embassy in Kuala Lumpur. So, I will share my experience here in glory details hoping it will benefit others in the future.

The whole thing began in October 2013 when I registered in the lottery with my wife. May 1,2014 was the day of surprise when I found out that we won. At that point, I had ABSOLUTELY no idea about the DV visa process and how it works. Thanks to google search, it led me to this wonderful forum where I learned about the whole process and got every single question I had answered professionally and in a timely manner! Most of my learning was from watching the forum and learning from other winners’ questions and the answers addressing those questions by the forum moderators. A special thanks to @Britsimon for your continuous help. The amount of effort you put into helping others and providing support whenever needed is truly amazing. Thanks to @SusieQQQ and @Sm1smom for your valuable advises all along. You all made me better prepared without which, the journey may not have been complete. I really and truly appreciate your help.

My interview was pretty simple! Perhaps the simplest step of all ever since the selection.

Things that I thought were in my favor:

- My highest completed level of education is a Master’s degree from Malaysia, currently doing a PhD which should give a good signal that I meet the educational requirements.

- I have all documents ready and in order. I was very well prepared. I every possible document, reference, FAM rules, and anything that I thought might be needed! I even had my dad's death certificate which not sure why I took it but I did! I had a huge gigantic binder full of documents just in case I'm asked for anything. I did not want to take any chances and wanted to avoid AP as much as possible.

Things I thought that were not in my favor:

- I’m interviewing in a third country. The CO may not have knowledge of high school degrees of other countries in case they insist on checking my high school.

- The US embassy in Kuala Lumpur processes a significantly low number of DV visas (around 80 visas per year). So, they might be strict a bit which later appeared to be not true.

The US embassy in Kuala Lumpur requires submission of documents in the morning by 09:00AM then applicants need to come back at 01:30PM for their interview. So I got to the embassy at around 8AM where there was a huge line up, the vast majority were applying for non-immigrant visas which are conducted entirely in the morning. Only I and another guy applying for a family based visa were immigrant visa applicants. Security rules and procedure is the same as every other US embassy so, I won’t bother you with the details. I got inside the embassy at 8:45AM, took a “B” number and waited for my number to be called. 30 minutes later my number was called to window 10 where a local guy asked for my appointment letter, DS-260 confirmation page, and started asking for my supporting documents one by one. Education wise, he only asked for my highest completed degree which was my master’s degree along with the transcript. He also asked for a letter from my current school where I’m currently doing my PhD. Once he verified that everything was complete and in order, he collected the fees in the local currency, gave me my “B” number, and asked me to come back at 01:00pm with my wife for the interview with a consular officer.

My wife and I made it back to the embassy around 12:45pm and waited for an hour and a half which felt like the longest wait ever then our number was called to window 1 where our finger scans were taken. We then waited again for another 45 minutes as there was a family-based visa interview before us then we were called to window 6 where there was only one officer in the whole area given that there are only two immigrant visa applicants. The normal procedure started where we rose our hands and swore as usual then the interview started.

I was asked about my education and when I completed my master’s degree. For some reason the CO kept referring to my master as bachelor.

Other questions include:

- How long have you been in Malaysia?

- What are you currently doing in Malaysia?

- Are you planning to complete your PhD before going to the US?

- What were you doing in Canada and how long did you stay there?

- Aside from your home country, Canada, and Malaysia, have you lived anywhere else for over a year?

- When did you get married?

- How did you two meet?

- Did you enter the lottery as married (which we did)?

- Where did you get married?

- Do you have any children?

And not sure why, he asked me “you didn’t work illegally in Canada, did you?” which was followed by a funny laugh and my answer was NO! lol

The weird part is, he asked my wife (the derivative) more questions than he asked me. It could be due to the fact that I was the one who filled up her forms and declared so. It could also be due to the fact that my wife is in an IT profession that falls under TAL. He asked very specific questions about the type of work she does, asked about her educational background, what degrees she completed, where she lived, etc.

At the end, the CO said “looks like everything is alright, your visa is going to be approved. Good luck to you two. Just wait outside and my colleague will call you for more information”. We went back to the waiting area where our number was called again to window number 10 where I went and saw the same local guy who collected our documents in the morning. He told me “Your visa is approved, you will get your passports delivered to the address you provided in 2-3 business days. You can go home now”

It was such a relief!

I was not asked for any proof of finances (no bank statements or affidavit of support). Two weeks before the interview I emailed the embassy if I’d require an affidavit of support and their response was “you do not need to provide any financial documents” but I had my bank statements with me just in case they ask for them which they didn’t.

Thank you all for your help and support all along. Now I will finish my PhD (hopefully by May), start planning, and then make the big move :)

This forum along with the people in it was indeed a gift from heaven :)

Last edited:
We had our interview yesterday in Kuala Lumpur. I’m glad to say that our visas were APPROVED :)

Thank god, the endless stress and worrisome regarding whether I would make it or not has now ended. Now starts the planning and preparation for the big move.

Since there aren’t any winners interviewing in Kuala Lumpur in this forum (aside from someone back in 2006), I struggled to know what it’s like or what the process is at the US embassy in Kuala Lumpur. So, I will share my experience here in glory details hoping it will benefit others in the future.

The whole thing began in October 2013 when I registered in the lottery with my wife. May 1,2014 was the day of surprise when I found out that we won. At that point, I had ABSOLUTELY no idea about the DV visa process and how it works. Thanks to google search, it led me to this wonderful forum where I learned about the whole process and got every single question I had answered professionally and in a timely manner! Most of my learning was from watching the forum and learning from other winners’ questions and the answers addressing those questions by the forum moderators. A special thanks to @Britsimon for your continuous help. The amount of effort you put into helping others and providing support whenever needed is truly amazing. Thanks to @SusieQQQ and @Sm1smom for your valuable advises all along. You all made me better prepared without which, the journey may not have been complete. I really and truly appreciate your help.

My interview was pretty simple! Perhaps the simplest step of all ever since the selection.

- My highest completed level of education is a Master’s degree from Malaysia, currently doing a PhD which should give a good signal that I meet the educational requirements.

- I have all documents ready and in order. I was very well prepared. I every possible document, reference, FAM rules, and anything that I thought might be needed! I even had my dad's death certificate which not sure why I took it but I did! I had a huge gigantic binder full of documents just in case I'm asked for anything. I did not want to take any chances and wanted to avoid AP as much as possible.

- I’m interviewing in a third country. The CO may not have knowledge of high school degrees of other countries in case they insist on checking my high school.

- The US embassy in Kuala Lumpur processes a significantly low number of DV visas (around 80 visas per year). So, they might be strict a bit which later appeared to be not true.

The US embassy in Kuala Lumpur requires submission of documents in the morning by 09:00AM then applicants need to come back at 01:30PM for their interview. So I got to the embassy at around 8AM where there was a huge line up, the vast majority were applying for non-immigrant visas which are conducted entirely in the morning. Only I and another guy applying for a family based visa were immigrant visa applicants. Security rules and procedure is the same as every other US embassy so, I won’t bother you with the details. I got inside the embassy at 8:45AM, took a “B” number and waited for my number to be called. 30 minutes later my number was called to window 10 where a local guy asked for my appointment letter, DS-260 confirmation page, and started asking for my supporting documents one by one. Education wise, he only asked for my highest completed degree which was my master’s degree along with the transcript. He also asked for a letter from my current school where I’m currently doing my PhD. Once he verified that everything was complete and in order, he collected the fees in the local currency, gave me my “B” number, and asked me to come back at 01:00pm with my wife for the interview with a consular officer.

My wife and I made it back to the embassy around 12:45pm and waited for an hour and a half which felt like the longest wait ever then our number was called to window 1 where our finger scans were taken. We then waited again for another 45 minutes as there was a family-based visa interview before us then we were called to window 6 where there was only one officer in the whole area given that there are only two immigrant visa applicants. The normal procedure started where we rose our hands and swore as usual then the interview started.

I was asked about my education and when I completed my master’s degree. For some reason the CO kept referring to my master as bachelor.

Other questions include:

- Aside from your home country, Canada, and Malaysia, have you lived anywhere else for over a year?

- How did you two meet?

And not sure why, he asked me “you didn’t work illegally in Canada, did you?” which was followed by a funny laugh and my answer was NO! lol

The weird part is, he asked my wife (the derivative) more questions than he asked me. It could be due to the fact that I was the one who filled up her forms and declared so. It could also be due to the fact that my wife is in an IT profession that falls under TAL. He asked very specific questions about the type of work she does, asked about her educational background, what degrees she completed, where she lived, etc.

At the end, the CO said “looks like everything is alright, your visa is going to be approved. Good luck to you two. Just wait outside and my colleague will call you for more information”. We went back to the waiting area where our number was called again to window number 10 where I went and saw the same local guy who collected our documents in the morning. He told me “Your visa is approved, you will get your passports delivered to the address you provided in 2-3 business days. You can go home now”

It was such a relief!

I was not asked for any proof of finances (no bank statements or affidavit of support). Two weeks before the interview I emailed the embassy if I’d require an affidavit of support and their response was “you do not need to provide any financial documents” but I had my bank statements with me just in case they ask for them which they didn’t.

Thank you all for your help and support all along. Now I will finish my PhD (hopefully by May), start planning, and then make the big move :)

Congratulations and good luck with the eventual move.

Other questions include:

- How did you two meet?

It was such a relief!

Awesome info. These interview experiences really help. Congratulations, and see ya in the US of A!

Other questions include:

- How did you two meet?

It was such a relief!

Congratulations Sammy967!!!

Other questions include:

- How did you two meet?

It was such a relief!

Congrats Sammy, Please keep praying for me and the rest as we wait for our interviews

Other questions include:

- How did you two meet?

It was such a relief!

congrats buddy

Hello,

I have an intent to leave my baby (3 months) in my country. I will be planning to bring her to USA when she is 3 years old. In this case, I am not sure how to do with DS 260.
For my understanding, I have to fill out her personal information only in my own Form DS260 and my wife DS260. Some people said, I should fill out her separate DS form 260 and also her parent's DS form 260. This make me complicated for how I fill out the form. Kindly clarify this so that I can do the right thing. Thanks.

Hello,

I have an intent to leave my baby (3 months) in my country. I will be planning to bring her to USA when she is 3 years old. In this case, I am not sure how to do with DS 260.
For my understanding, I have to fill out her personal information only in my own Form DS260 and my wife DS260. Some people said, I should fill out her separate DS form 260 and also her parent's DS form 260. This make me complicated for how I fill out the form. Kindly clarify this so that I can do the right thing. Thanks.

Did you bother to read my response above where I clearly stated DO NOT fill out a separate DS-260 for her if you do not wish for her to be issued with a visa?

Dear oferimi,

you will receive 100% your 2SL in next month ,I had unlock in September and received my 2SL on this month ! ;)

I Agee and I and I fully feel her. I am trying help her get to daycare age with minimal difficulty for her and the kid 's DV journey.
Well, from kindergarten (5-6) they are in the public school system. If you're lucky your school will have a cheap aftercare center. It's really only the pre-K that is expensive - obviously with a new baby that is a lot of years of expensive though, especially if you are going to be minimum wage or not much above that.
Although the OP's plan of leaving the baby behind with her parents may sound harsh and unimaginable, I believe she is being very pragmatic and realistic. Trying to start life in the US as a new immigrant is hard enough on its own, talk less of starting as a single mom with a very young baby and no one to assist her. Child care is very expensive in the US. She will either have to opt to not work and end up becoming a public charge; or spend the whole day working, unable to spend any significant time with the child, and at the end of the day use her entire pay check to pay for child care, practically live from pay check to pay check unable to save anything!

If she leaves the baby behind as she's planning to, yes she will miss out on the baby's significant 'first', she's however assured the baby is receiving the best possible care he/she can get, she can travel back often to see the baby and she would have been able to get life rolling in the US by the time she brings the baby over. Harsh decision, but it is what it is!
Like Sm1smom and SusieQQQ said, its alot of money . the average cost of center-based daycare in the United States is $11,666 per year ($972 a month)
http://www.babycenter.com/0_how-much-youll-spend-on-childcare_1199776.bc

Last edited:

Other questions include:

- How did you two meet?

It was such a relief!

Conglations. Good to see a wonderful member of dv 2015 pull through.

Before I got this information I asked KCC to unlock my case to add my husband's ds, now it is opened but I do not have to make any changes because we add new applicant as you told me. Should I ask them to close it or only to resubmit the form again?

Normally people need to unlock to adjust their own marital status, but in this case it might be ok to just add applicant if the principal has the correct marital status already.

Than
Did you bother to read my response above where I clearly stated DO NOT fill out a separate DS-260 for her if you do not wish for her to be issued with a visa?

Thanks Sm1smom, So I don't need to bring her papers when I go to interview.

@Britsimon, I talked to my host yesterday about the affidavit of support and she said that once I get my interview date, I inform her and she will email me then I print
a copy and go with it to the interview. Will that be acceptable or they require one sent through the posta ie with an envelop etc.Also will the affidavit alone be enough or
they require other documents coz she was talking about tax returns etc? Kindly guide me on this issue and other members can have their input.