Help with answering questions for a Public Intoxication charge....

easybay

Registered Users (C)
My daughter (25) is applying for her citizenship and is asking how to answer questions 23-26. At 17 she was arrested for public intoxication. I can remember paying a fine, and then later getting her record expunged. She graduated from college with 2 degrees (her second with a 4.0), and has been working as an RN for 18 months. I don't think she needs to be concerned with being turned down for citizenship for bad character, since this happened 8 years ago and she is now a contributing member of US society! But how should she answer the questions? 23. Have you been arrested....Yes. 24 Have you ever been charged with committing a crime or offense - is PI a crime or an offense, I assume Yes? 25 Have you convicted, again this is Yes? 26 Alternative sentencing - she didn't go to jail - just paid a fine. So is this alternative sentencing? and Yes?

Thanks for any help......

This will not be an issue for you.

My daughter was arrested for shoplifting at Disney World when she was 17. She now has her citizenship and was never questioned in the interview about it.

It's over 5 years ago, it's not a crime of moral turpitude and she was a minor.

You must answer yes to all the arrest questions - they don't care about expungement.

State, "arrested as a minor" and paid fine. You MUST provide CERTIFIED copies of both the arrest record AND the court documents with your application. You get the arrest record from the police department and the court documents from the court of record. Color scan and save these docs and print them out for your interview as your "yellow letter" will request your bring "originals" with you but the color scanned ones look original and you won't be asked for them, but just in case you need bring them.