• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Best jobs in America

Thanks for the information BritSimon, I like the idea of getting money back from the IRS ;) it will change and it is IMHO a lot better than the French way, which ask for money after you have potentially spent it all :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Thanks for the links SusieQQQ, like Britsimon my job is rated number 1:D that is very encouraging
guys I have question, How is calculated your net salary for example if I take the 124,000$ salary how much will go in your pocket?
It may seems stupid but in France for 124,000 you effectively have 96,700 in your pocket and then have to pay income tax. In the US income tax is already paid before you get your check, right?

Thanks,

I'm not sure I understand. You imply the (large) deductions are for something other than tax? For what?

@SusieQQQ i meant can i walk in with my originals to WES or must I ask my former college to mail them directly...but i think the latter thinking is accurate

@SusieQQQ i meant can i walk in with my originals to WES or must I ask my former college to mail them directly...but i think the latter thinking is accurate

Instructions on what to submit/how to submit documents for evaluation varies from one evaluating organization to the other.

If you want to use WES, then you should read the instructions on what to submit and how to submit them for an evaluation directly from the WES website:

http://www.wes.org/fees/evaltypes.asp

I'm not sure I understand. You imply the (large) deductions are for something other than tax? For what?
Yes, at least not income tax, they are mostly social based tax. at the end of the year you then declare your income (even a little more, tax again) and you pay tax on those income.
I know it is crazy:confused:, we have a good and free health system for the poor but the mid and mid- high level income family pays a lot of tax for it... That is one of the reason why I want to live in the US, I'm not saying there is no tax but they seems more appropriate ( I may be wrong on that one). France is a great country if you have a low income and are not a business owner otherwise the tax will hold you back... Of course this is not the main reason for us to want to live in the US, we will keep a business here in France anyway but we will certainly open a new one in the US.

Yes, at least not income tax, they are mostly social based tax. at the end of the year you then declare your income (even a little more, tax again) and you pay tax on those income.
I know it is crazy:confused:, we have a good and free health system for the poor but the mid and mid- high level income family pays a lot of tax for it... That is one of the reason why I want to live in the US, I'm not saying there is no tax but they seems more appropriate ( I may be wrong on that one). France is a great country if you have a low income and are not a business owner otherwise the tax will hold you back... Of course this is not the main reason for us to want to live in the US, we will keep a business here in France anyway but we will certainly open a new one in the US.

In the USA, the top earners pay the tax for everyonE - pretty much the same as France. Once you count in the costs of Healthcare etc, it is about the same.

By the way, make sure you understand the tax reporting in the USA - it is on worldwide income...

France like many european countries have higher top tax rates than the US and I think most of them kick in at lower income levels than the US - this is how they fund, inter alia, the "free" healthcare that some here complain about leaving behind (not aimed at you darkshu, have been past discussions moaning about cost of health in US). Here in US you have state taxes, there you have very high VAT rates... I think it pretty much all comes out in the wash at the end of the day, and probably only really makes a difference for those at the very bottom (no taxes want free services) or very top of the income scales (as the top few invariably pay proportionately much more of the tax take).

Thanks for the advice Britsimon & SusieQQQ, I'll make sure to take that into consideration, I think I will have to take a lot of time to understand and optimize my tax reporting in the US, I'm sure there are many ways to optimize it, the same way we do it in France, like real estate tax investment, etc..
In the end we are more looking for the American higher standard of living than for a lower tax so we'll be happy to pay the same amount of tax for a lifestyle that is more inline with what we are looking for ;)

Last edited:
France like many european countries have higher top tax rates than the US and I think most of them kick in at lower income levels than the US - this is how they fund, inter alia, the "free" healthcare that some here complain about leaving behind (not aimed at you darkshu, have been past discussions moaning about cost of health in US). Here in US you have state taxes, there you have very high VAT rates... I think it pretty much all comes out in the wash at the end of the day, and probably only really makes a difference for those at the very bottom (no taxes want free services) or very top of the income scales (as the top few invariably pay proportionately much more of the tax take).
But you get to see and enjoy services provided using the taxes?
Where I live, businesses are taxed to the bone, then you have to provide pretty much every type of service that you ought to enjoy from your taxes.

@darkshu
How will you manage relocationg and retaining a business in Europe, then starting another one in America?
Juggling, entrusting or?

But you get to see and enjoy services provided using the taxes?
Where I live, businesses are taxed to the bone, then you have to provide pretty much every type of service that you ought to enjoy from your taxes.

Um yes I can sympathize 100%. Previous country paid a lot of tax and still had to pay for health insurance, private school fees, and private security ... so-called "stealth taxes". Please don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining at all about paying taxes in the US. We get free schooling, decent policing and meh, if we still pay health insurance, it gets offset by a bunch of other things we no longer need to spend money on.

Do the DV winners in the US get less payment in comparison to others?

Not officially or deliberately, but official studies show immigrants in general earn less than non immigrants in the same jobs, with the same experience. Now, not every case will be like that...

I have worked as software developer for 3 years. I have an offer from software company in Denver, Colorado and they are offering me around $3000 per month. I don't know the pay range and cost of living over there. Is the payment fair enough?

Do the DV winners in the US get less payment in comparison to others?
Not officially or deliberately, but official studies show immigrants in general earn less than non immigrants in the same jobs, with the same experience. Now, not every case will be like that...

However, the studies on DV vs other immigrants shows that DV winners have higher qualifications and higher level jobs, on average, than other immigrants (I posted this link before at some stage). So I would be wary of drawing conclusions from general immigrant data.

I'd be interested, britsimon, if those studies you mention break down by language ability. I have met some immigrants who hardly speak any English despite having been here for years. This could easily be a limiting factor in upward mobility despite esperience, etc.
Again however my opinion may be influenced in that most immigrants who I know personally come from my home country and the vast majority of those have done very well for themselves.

However, the studies on DV vs other immigrants shows that DV winners have higher qualifications and higher level jobs, on average, than other immigrants (I posted this link before at some stage). So I would be wary of drawing conclusions from general immigrant data.

I'd be interested, britsimon, if those studies you mention break down by language ability. I have met some immigrants who hardly speak any English despite having been here for years. This could easily be a limiting factor in upward mobility despite esperience, etc.
Again however my opinion may be influenced in that most immigrants who I know personally come from my home country and the vast majority of those have done very well for themselves.

The study I read compared race to race so Hispanic immigrants against Hispanic 1st or second generation. As far as generalisations go, it was a pretty good one. I agree that language and even accent could be a factor.

I'm not earning less than the natives, but I don't think my example is normal. I know H1 cases will take some time to equalise their pay - there is a sort of "gratitude factor" that is in the relationship. For DV winners there is no "gratitude" period but there is still the negative aspects of having to rebuild reputation/networks, understand local nuances of working practices, laws and customs. So yeah, I could see some impact that would set someone back for a while, and that would be enough to be a measurable impact.

Anyway, it's all generalisation... For what that is worth...

I have worked as software developer for 3 years. I have an offer from software company in Denver, Colorado and they are offering me around $3000 per month. I don't know the pay range and cost of living over there. Is the payment fair enough?

Sounds low to me, but you need to check salary ranges on glassdoor.com and then build a cost of living budget, checking out cost of apartments and so on in the area you will be. The salary ranges vary hugely by area, so it is an exercise you need to do on the local area.

@darkshu
How will you manage relocationg and retaining a business in Europe, then starting another one in America?
Juggling, entrusting or?
My wife and I are currently going through the details, but the general idea is to delegate/employ someone locally and creating a new "branch/office" in the us. it is a very small business, I used the term branch in lack of a better word ;) My wife is mostly in charge of it. I intend to continue working for a software company in the US because I like it and it will hopefully give us a degree of stability in our income.
But these are only plans and speculations for now, we are waiting and hoping for the green card to take a step further, like a lot of people in this forum:p

Sounds low to me, but you need to check salary ranges on glassdoor.com and then build a cost of living budget, checking out cost of apartments and so on in the area you will be. The salary ranges vary hugely by area, so it is an exercise you need to do on the local area.
I love this app to evaluate & compare salaries in particular

My wife and I are currently going through the details, but the general idea is to delegate/employ someone locally and creating a new "branch/office" in the us. it is a very small business, I used the term branch in lack of a better word ;) My wife is mostly in charge of it. I intend to continue working for a software company in the US because I like it and it will hopefully give us a degree of stability in our income.
But these are only plans and speculations for now, we are waiting and hoping for the green card to take a step further, like a lot of people in this forum:p
If I get the GC, I intend to translocate my very small business and transfer the business brand name, networks etc to some people (entrust).I will certainly need the one year grace period.
Luckily, calling USA from my country is very affordable and this will make it easier for me to mentor the beneficiaries so that theyndo not kill a livelihood i have labored hard for.As such, no int. income/tax issues for me in this case but hopefully, in my later years, I will return and buy back my stake. your view?