• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hello Everyone, My current visa status is H4 and I will be adjusting the status with my husband and my CN is 2015AS5*** I have some questions.. I apologize if these questions are silly.. Do I and my husband have to fill the I-765 and I-131? What is the reason that the spreadsheet says optional? TIA

Hello Everyone, My current visa status is H4 and I will be adjusting the status with my husband and my CN is 2015AS5*** I have some questions.. I apologize if these questions are silly.. Do I and my husband have to fill the I-765 and I-131? What is the reason that the spreadsheet says optional? TIA
Hi Tukki, I am glad you finally made your way here, welcome!
Filing for I-131 and I-765 are not mandatory so that's why it says optional on the spreadsheet. You have to decide based on your needs and situation if you will need a work or travel permit while you wait for your green card or not. Just know that Once your aos package is accepted you can no longer travel outside the US unless you previously applied for and was granted an I-131. If you travel without it your case will be considered abandonned. So it is up to you guys to determine if you intend to travel while your case is pending or not. Likewise it is up to you guys to know if you need temporary work permits (I-765) or not while you wait for the green card. Generally though, these 2 forms take just about the same amount of time to process as your green card, as dv green cards are expedited, so unless you have a very pressing need, it is not that necessary to file for them. But again it is up to you to decide depending on your needs and situation.

Filing for I-131 and I-765 are not mandatory so that's why it says optional on the spreadsheet. You have to decide based on your needs and situation if you will need a work or travel permit while you wait for your green card or not. Just know that Once your aos package is accepted you can no longer travel outside the US unless you previously applied for and was granted an I-131. If you travel without it your case will be considered abandonned. So it is up to you guys to determine if you intend to travel while your case is pending or not. Likewise it is up to you guys to know if you need temporary work permits (I-765) or not while you wait for the green card. Generally though, these 2 forms take just about the same amount of time to process as your green card, as dv green cards are expedited, so unless you have a very pressing need, it is not that necessary to file for them. But again it is up to you to decide depending on your needs and situation.
So my husband is working (H1 status).so when he applies for AOS will his H1 status will get blocked or so..in that case will he have to file for I-765? or we can skip that?

Great response, except for the part regarding not being able to travel without an AP card once the I-485 is filed. Since @Tukki is on a H4 visa, she and her husband (whom I assume is on H1B) do not need an approved AP card if they have course to travel out of the US during the process. They are on a dual intent visa, so they're free to travel, if they so desire, without the fear of their petition being considered abandoned. The AP card is for those on other types of visa outside of the H1B/H4 and L visa category.

So my husband is working (H1 status).so when he applies for AOS will his H1 status will get blocked or so..in that case will he have to file for I-765? or we can skip that?

Your husband does not need to apply for a DV based EAD card, not unless he plans on leaving his current employer before his GC petition gets approved. His current H1 status remains valid during the process and will continue to be valid if, for whatever reason, the GC petition gets denied.

If he however decides he wants to leave his current employer and gets an EAD card to start work with a new employer, he needs to be aware that if the GC petition gets denied, he will not be able to return to the current H1 status.

Your husband does not need to apply for a DV based EAD card, not unless he plans on leaving his current employer before his GC petition gets approved. His current H1 status remains valid during the process and will continue to be valid if, for whatever reason, the GC petition gets denied.

If he however decides he wants to leave his current employer and gets an EAD card to start work with a new employer, he needs to be aware that if the GC petition gets denied, he will not be able to return to the current H1 status.
Thanks for the reply :) and my husband is not planning to leave his current employer... We were worried if our status might get violated after certain time period

Last edited:
Hi @Sm1smom !

I have a question about medical forms. We did the medical exam last month and the forms are filled and sealed now. We just noticed that we did not filled par 1 with CAPITAL letters. Do you think that can be a problem?

Hi @Sm1smom !

I have a question about medical forms. We did the medical exam last month and the forms are filled and sealed now. We just noticed that we did not filled par 1 with CAPITAL letters. Do you think that can be a problem?

While I will always encourage people to follow the laid down rules when it comes to immigration matters regardless, in this case, I don't think not filling the form in CAPS will create an issue. I've never heard of anyone that got denied as a result of something like this. You should be okay as long as the information on the form is legible.

Hello Friends,
I have a question.. I was in Dallas when I filled the DS-260 form but now I have moved to Virginia and I am currently staying at my relative's place and do not intend to move to another place till my Green Card is done.... So now when I send the AOS package I can just update my current address as Virginia.. Do I have to inform KCC or USCIS?? And when asked about the proof on new address what can I show them as the supporting document?
Also when I was trying to fill the G325 form I realised that if my date for a particular entry is lets say 4th January 1964 and I enter 01/04/1964.. in such a case the last digit is omitted or is partly visible..(truncated 4).. Can I enter the date in the format.. 1/4/1964? Will it cause any issue? I tried printing in the paper yet the digit is omitted..
TIA :)

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I have a question about how the DV payment receipt should look like. I got the self address envelope back today and the payment receipt is just a "PAID" stamp with a date and 2 initials on the paper I initially send out with all the information completed. Is this what payment receipt means? Somehow I imagined it would be a distinct piece of paper in a generic official format.

Thank you. Emma

Hello Friends,
I have a question.. I was in Dallas when I filled the DS-260 form but now I have moved to Virginia and I am currently staying at my relative's place and do not intend to move to another place till my Green Card is done.... So now when I send the AOS package I can just update my current address as Virginia.. Do I have to inform KCC or USCIS?? And when asked about the proof on new address what can I show them as the supporting document?
Also when I was trying to fill the G325 form I realised that if my date for a particular entry is lets say 4th January 1964 and I enter 01/04/1964.. in such a case the last digit is omitted or is partly visible..(truncated 4).. Can I enter the date in the format.. 1/4/1964? Will it cause any issue? I tried printing in the paper yet the digit is omitted..
TIA :)

Aside of filing for AOS, you are supposed to inform USCIS within 10 days of moving to a new address, the only people not required to do so are US Citizens. So you need to go online and report your change of address right away.

Now regarding the DS form, the address listed on it does not matter. What's important is the address you will be using on your AOS package, so if you're currently living with a relative in Virgina, then that's the address you should list.

I'm not sure why the date is getting truncated on your G-325 form. Have you tried using a different browser? You can also try using form G-325A, or simply download the form and fill it out by hand.

Hi everyone,

I have a question about how the DV payment receipt should look like. I got the self address envelope back today and the payment receipt is just a "PAID" stamp with a date and 2 initials on the paper I initially send out with all the information completed. Is this what payment receipt means? Somehow I imagined it would be a distinct piece of paper in a generic official format.

Thank you. Emma

Yes, what you got back is the 'receipt'.

Aside of filing for AOS, you are supposed to inform USCIS within 10 days of moving to a new address, the only people not required to do so are US Citizens. So you need to go online and report your change of address right away.

Now regarding the DS form, the address listed on it does not matter. What's important is the address you will be using on your AOS package, so if you're currently living with a relative in Virgina, then that's the address you should list.

I'm not sure why the date is getting truncated on your G-325 form. Have you tried using a different browser? You can also try using form G-325A, or simply download the form and fill it out by hand.
Thank you Mom :)
While trying to change the address... it asks the receipt number? What is that field?

Hi mom!

I have received two biometrics letters with two different dates on them and I am wondering why... because I remember the person who helped me with my biometrics in Jan scanned the barcodes for both my EAD app and my I485 app.

Any help would be appreciated!

Also, I am getting a little nervous because I am graduating from college in May and I don't know if I will get my decision by then as I would like to find a job. However, I am not too sure if I can apply for OPT if I applied for the EAD w/ I485? Just in case my I485 doesn't come through the EAD I applied with the I485 would be void, right?

Hi mom!

I have received two biometrics letters with two different dates on them and I am wondering why... because I remember the person who helped me with my biometrics in Jan scanned the barcodes for both my EAD app and my I485 app.

Any help would be appreciated!

Also, I am getting a little nervous because I am graduating from college in May and I don't know if I will get my decision by then as I would like to find a job. However, I am not too sure if I can apply for OPT if I applied for the EAD w/ I485? Just in case my I485 doesn't come through the EAD I applied with the I485 would be void, right?

Not quite sure I understand the first part of your question - the person who helped you where? How did this person access your I-765 and I-485 forms that they were able to scan? Weren't these forms already received at the Chicago Lockbox? You already did a bio in January and got another letter for a new bio?

Yes if AOS is denied, the EAD that comes with it becomes void. Again the best way to apply for OPT is always before initiating the AOS process, I do understand it wasn't possible to do so in your case since your CN became current long before your expected graduation date. An OPT approval at this stage is dicey. Not sure why you feel your AOS petition may not be approved, not unless there's something personal pertaining to your case which you would rather not share. If it's a straight forward clean case, no reason that I know of for it to not be approved.