Interview preparation advice

mimi30

Hello,
My educational qualifications include a Bachelor degree from an university in Romania and a Master degree from a canadian university (french). My romanian diploma was evaluated by the government of Quebec and I translated the evaluation. I also have certified translation for my Canadian diploma and transcript.
My question is:
- Do I also need to translate my romanian Bachelors transcript,since my Canadian studies are relevant and will qualify me for the TN position I am applying under.

thanks

Well, you didn't say what each degrees were in and what category of TN yo uare applying under.
That is what will determine whether your transcripts are even required.
as to your Romanian degree, once you try for your TN (I wouldn't dely your attempt just to get this) unless of course it fails, consider getting an evaluation done by an recognized evaluation firm, in English, that would determine its equivalence to a US degree, which is what border really wants. You may need it down the road. The Ministere provided an "evaluation" of your degree for QC university admission purposes. That is not the same thing.

True, the QC government provided evaluations of my Romanian degrees only for QC university purposes. I have:
- 4 years Bachelors degree from a Romanian University in : Geography
- 2 years Masters degree from University of Montreal in Geography - Geographic Information Systems.
I am applying under the Geographer category with a Geographic Information Systems Analyst offer. I have translated my Canadian diploma and transcript, listing my Geographic Information courses and thesis. I have many years of experience in Geographic Information Systems related positions.
My Romanian diploma has nothing to do with GIS, it's in Geography - Natural Resources.

Your Masters Degree (don't use term diploma for actual degrees, they are different in TN context) should be enough to get you TN, since it is directly related.

You will eventually need an evaluation done on your Romanian Bach degree, but should not need it for this process.
By the way, generally self-translated documentation is not preferred by Govt.

I have certified translations of my Masters degree + transcript from french to english.
Thank you nelsona for advice/tips, I really appreciate it :)

a short one please:
For the TN interview, am I good enough with a job offer printed from my email box or the original document must be mailed home?
thanks

To printout should be fine. If there are doubts they will contact the person who signed.

Does anyone know if I can get to Peace Bridge POE (Fort Erie, ON) in bus from Toronto? I am thinking to buy a bus ticket to Buffalo, apply for the status at Peace Bridge, then go back to Canada.

Hi

I called to schedule an appointment for my TN at Blue Water Bridge/Port Huron, MI. the office asked if I have experience as a systems analyst as I told him I am applying under computer systems analyst. I told him I have experience. I want to know if its mandatory to have designation as a computer systems analyst and doe sit need to be preceeding 3 years when I apply for the TN?

I have the TN support letter from the USA employer, offer letters and termination details from my previous employers along with the credential assessment. I am just concerned that the offer letters or termination details do not mention my title as a systems analyst. Any advice with regard to proving experience will definitely help.

thanks

First, there are no scheduled appontment on the Cdn border. You show up during business hours.
You do not need expereience under CSA category, in fact it doesn't even count. You need a related bachelor's degree. Forget any experience or credentials. No use for anything from former employer.
You need TN letter, bach degree and passport. That is it.

So you quit your Cdn job before getting this one?

I got laid off in Mar 2015 and have been looking since then. It's the same company I worked for in Canada from Jun 2014 to mar 2015. When I didn't find anything in Canada I approached them for USA.

So technically, that can't be reason for denying?

I worked in USA from May 2001 to October 2005 on H1.

Also my bachelors is from India B.Tech In Electronics & Communications Engineering. I have the assessment done and available.

Last edited:
Why would the border care why you left your previous job, it doesn't matter to them.
the question is if its mandatory to have designation as a computer systems analyst and doe sit need to be preceding 3 years when I apply for the TN? And can he technically deny based solely these reason?

Already answered: "You do not need experience under CSA category, in fact it doesn't even count."

Even if there was some experience requirement for your TN (there is in some categories, but not yours), it never had any requirement that it be recent. Let's not dream up requirements out of whole cloth.

thank you Nelsona. I wonder why the officer asked for my experience letters. He specifically mentioned he would check them.

Anyway, I'll update here tomorrow how it goes.

Nothing the officer says to you over the phone is official. Your TN process starts only when you walk through the POE doors. They often give misinformation on phone to discourage or trip up individuals.
Do not present letters of experience if you have a degree. Experience only counts if you have a 2-yr diploma instead of a degree.

thank you Nelsona. I got the TN approved and got it for 3 years as mentioned in the letter. As you said he didn't ask for experience. he just took the supporting letter, transcripts and credential assessment. No questions asked.