• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

The physician has some latitude on how to meet the requirement. As mentioned above the womans abdomen can be shielded and from what I have read xrays (even unshielded) pose very little risk to the unborn child. The doctor will be careful to protect your health and that of your child. But of course you can discuss that all with the physician and it might be good to have that discussion prior to the medical appointment so that you can save the money if you decide to not take the medical.

One thing you might consider is the timing - perhaps you can delay your medical (and perhaps the interview) to a later date. If you attended an interview for instance without the medical you would be placed on AP until the medical was provided. Risky to put yourself on AP - but it can be done.

We are due in middle August, so I don't know if postponing the interview would be a good idea at this stage. Potentially running to the end of the fiscal year.

I have read about the minimal risk involved in X-rays, however still don't know if we want to expose our unborn child to risk, when we potentially don't have to.

As I am the primary and my wife is a dependent, would we both be put on AP, if we don't get the medical for my wife? Or will it just be myself? If so, how is it risky?

Lastly, Is there a chance that the doctor might turn around and say you don't need the X-ray scan and the US embassy would be happy with that?

Last edited:
This is a tough one. I would contact the doctor to discuss. If she is shielded as they do, it may be ok. Not that long ago radiologists were always in the same room wearing lead aprons with constant exposure but they were not pregnant. When I travelled for work I carried a piece of lead like the apron lead and placed it over my ovaries before I was even pregnant. I also used it when pregnant and flew until 29 weeks. This was to protect against cosmic radiation. Needless to say I was always stopped during carry on checks and had to explain. If it was me, I would do it provided there was lots of protection because we really want to move to the US.

We are due in middle August, so I don't know if postponing the interview would be a good idea at this stage. Potentially running to the end of the fiscal year.

I have read about the minimal risk involved in X-rays, however still don't know if we want to expose our unborn child to risk, when we potentially don't have to.

As I am the primary and my wife is a dependent, would we both be put on AP, if we don't get the medical for my wife? Or will it just be myself? If so, how is it risky?

Lastly, Is there a chance that the doctor might turn around and say you don't need the X-ray scan and the US embassy would be happy with that?

As you are the primary you could in theory get your visa and your wife remain on AP or even be refused (in terms of the technical situation for statuses).

The risk I referred to is that there is a quota of visas (OC and global). Visa slots are allocated to cases as they are scheduled. Any case that is on AP at the end of the month loses the slot. Then when AP concludes, the embassy has to apply for another visa slot. There might not be a visa slot at that time and they have been known to put returning APs and even appointment reschedules right at the back of the queue. That risk is a lot higher in August and September.

I think the xray is required, so if you want the Green Card you will probably have to accept the xray. My suggestion to delay was to allow leave the xray during the late term of the pregnancy - because I imagine the risks to the baby (though tiny) are more in the early months than the late months. By 30 weeks for example, everything is pretty much developed (simplistically speaking), it is just a matter of growing...

This is a tough one. I would contact the doctor to discuss. If she is shielded as they do, it may be ok. Not that long ago radiologists were always in the same room wearing lead aprons with constant exposure but they were not pregnant. When I travelled for work I carried a piece of lead like the apron lead and placed it over my ovaries before I was even pregnant. I also used it when pregnant and flew until 29 weeks. This was to protect against cosmic radiation. Needless to say I was always stopped during carry on checks and had to explain. If it was me, I would do it provided there was lots of protection because we really want to move to the US.

Yeah its a very hard decision, X-Ray has become better over the years, but when you have to wear a lead apron to protect yourself, alarm bells start to ring.

Will have to ring up when I get home from work and find out what the go is 100%. If there is an option not to do we would definitely go down that path for sure.

We do want the US Visa a lot, however a healthy child is higher. Rather continue living in Australia with a healthy child, than USA with an unhealthy child.

Guess we are overlooking it, but being the first pregnancy we want to make sure we are doing everything right

This was a reply to Deb's post, my phone didnt quote the post: You are going to need somewhere to live before finding somewhere so I would still take it. I've researched long term hotels and there's one but its not cheap. You can rent a condo for 6 months rather than 12 and there are plenty of them. How confident are you about staying with your job? I know that's a strange question but that will have an impact on renting/buying in the area or potentially moving somewhere else if it doesn't work out long term.

Yeah its a very hard decision, X-Ray has become better over the years, but when you have to wear a lead apron to protect yourself, alarm bells start to ring.

Will have to ring up when I get home from work and find out what the go is 100%. If there is an option not to do we would definitely go down that path for sure.

We do want the US Visa a lot, however a healthy child is higher. Rather continue living in Australia with a healthy child, than USA with an unhealthy child.

Guess we are overlooking it, but being the first pregnancy we want to make sure we are doing everything right

I realize you are looking at all your options, but I think alot of your thought process is because you are first time parents. Babies are MUCH tougher than you realize yet - and the risk you are considering if probably far less than your wife driving into town to do the shopping. I personally wouldn't give it a second thought - but having been a first time parent (and 2nd, 3rd, and 4th time) I realize that comment is going to fall on overly cautious ears.

As you are the primary you could in theory get your visa and your wife remain on AP or even be refused (in terms of the technical situation for statuses).

The risk I referred to is that there is a quota of visas (OC and global). Visa slots are allocated to cases as they are scheduled. Any case that is on AP at the end of the month loses the slot. Then when AP concludes, the embassy has to apply for another visa slot. There might not be a visa slot at that time and they have been known to put returning APs and even appointment reschedules right at the back of the queue. That risk is a lot higher in August and September.

I think the xray is required, so if you want the Green Card you will probably have to accept the xray. My suggestion to delay was to allow leave the xray during the late term of the pregnancy - because I imagine the risks to the baby (though tiny) are more in the early months than the late months. By 30 weeks for example, everything is pretty much developed (simplistically speaking), it is just a matter of growing...

I think I will have to speak to the doctor tomorrow, and find out what exactly the risks are, if its possible to delay and would the risks be minimised.

If we kept with the interview date and I got accepted and the wife got refused or put on AP, what would be the worst case scenario? Would there be a way for her to get in on a timely fashion? or would it be having to hope she gets the green card lottery one day?

Last edited:
I think I will have to speak to the doctor tomorrow, and find out what exactly the risks are, if its possible to delay and would the risks be minimised.

If we kept with the interview date and I got accepted and the wife got refused or put on AP, what would be the worst case scenario? Would there be a way for her to get in on a timely fashion? or would it be having to hope she gets the green car lottery one day?

If you get approved and your wife gets put on AP which doesn't get resolved before the end of the FY, your options would be to either sponsor her (1-2 years) or hope she wins the DV on her own. Sponsoring her would require you to be based in the US prior to filing the sponsorship application and to have the applicable required income.

If you get approved and your wife gets put on AP which doesn't get resolved before the end of the FY, your options would be to either sponsor her (1-2 years) or hope she wins the DV on her own. Sponsoring her would require you to be based in the US prior to filing the sponsorship application and to have the applicable required income.

I figured this would be the case, not getting AP resolved by the end of the year is not really an option. I can't just move to the US for 1-2 years without my family. Chances of her winning the Lottery are slim and I guess we don't want to take the gamble.

Best option here is to go and get the X-Ray done. Will research into this a lot more and find out what risks are involved.
Appreciate all the feedback from everyone.

I have a job in Pueblo Colorado, probably not the nicest part, but all going well, if I have greencard in hand that's where I'll be. What part are you looking at Gemma?

Good places near Pueblo:
  • Royal Gorge Railway Canon City
  • Great Sand Dunes
  • Colorado Springs - Airforce Academy Church

So... I have another question.
Has anyone had the medical recently and been pregnant? Do they do they Chest X-Ray?
Seems like it has to be done and there is no way around it according to the US website.

If the applicant is pregnant must she have a chest x-ray?
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requires that women who are pregnant and required to have a medical examination in connection with the issuance of a visa, and are examined in a country currently using the 2007 TB Technical Instructions must have a chest x-ray examination conducted. Pregnant women will have to provide the panel physician with consent to conduct the chest x-ray. For the health of the applicant and her unborn child, CDC instructs panel physicians and laboratories to provide abdominal and pelvic protection with double layer, wrap-around lead shields when they receive the chest radiographs.

I am not a fan of getting this done? If so we may have to consider not going through with this, as we don't want to take the risk

before I had my chest xray they asked if I was pregnant so I assume they take extra precautions for pregnant women... I understand your concern though, it's definintely worth checking out to see what the process is.

This was a reply to Deb's post, my phone didnt quote the post: You are going to need somewhere to live before finding somewhere so I would still take it. I've researched long term hotels and there's one but its not cheap. You can rent a condo for 6 months rather than 12 and there are plenty of them. How confident are you about staying with your job? I know that's a strange question but that will have an impact on renting/buying in the area or potentially moving somewhere else if it doesn't work out long term.

Yes Gemma I will definitely stay with my boss initially, and my job is a secure one, it just depends if I can cope with the job and the area. So you are correct, I don't want to commit to anything too soon until I know. I'm sure it will become clear once I get started. Someone (a male) is being pushed sideways to make a job for me, so I may not be that well received initially either. I'm a little concerned about that as I don't like stepping on people's toes.

Hershal I used to take Xrays in a dental capacity (for almost 8 years at least several times a week). I was not shielded at all when taking them as we were a bit blasé in the 80's. I used to have to wear a radiation badge which was sent away to be tested for exposure. It never registered enough to be of any concern. I went on to have two healthy kids and at 54 have a very healthy reproductive system and no health issues at all. So I hope that gives you some peace of mind or assists in your decision making. Xrays are pretty much focused on the area being xrayed, and the lead aprons do block them... and there are not random rays flying around the room. It is very controlled. I know it's a very hard decision but I think one short xray should not pose any problems. But only you can decide that. People tend to get overly frightened about x rays, but then I tend to be very laid back about a lot of things......except DV interviews etc. Good luck with whatever you decide.

I was wondering what number they are up to with the visas please :)

I am 16XX so I am thinking I may not have a chance :(

I was wondering what number they are up to with the visas please :)

I am 16XX so I am thinking I may not have a chance :(

They are at 875 for March interviews - but the pace (fast or slow) doesn't really signal where they will finish.

16XX is going to be tight - our estimates so far have been just under 1600. So - all you can do is wait and see.

Picked up our Medical packs from Medibank today. The big envelope was sealed and 'Do not Open' written across the tape. With those envelopes were another envelope with our vaccination details. I thought there was only one packet? Do they both get handed over at POE? The checklist states 'Medical Record' - original only, so do we bring both envelopes to the Interview and POE??

Yes Gemma I will definitely stay with my boss initially, and my job is a secure one, it just depends if I can cope with the job and the area. So you are correct, I don't want to commit to anything too soon until I know. I'm sure it will become clear once I get started. Someone (a male) is being pushed sideways to make a job for me, so I may not be that well received initially either. I'm a little concerned about that as I don't like stepping on people's toes.
I suppose you can work it out when you get there but at least you have the option. It's great you have a job already, I bet you can't wait to get over there!