• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Honestly, @Hershal, I really don't think it matters how you get it, whether through State or through AFP.

@Carolineinthecity in the city had the great idea to - whichever one you took - print out the instructions. So if you have one going through the state police, print out the embassy specific advice. If you have the federal one, print out the dvselectee.gov specific advice. Both represent official advice from the US government.

And, ultimately, both are checks that leverage the same data set. Just one is done through the state police and the other goes through the AFP.

Its getting to the point where the interview is scheduled and you just dont want to be denied due to a small error in reading the fine print :)
Stressing out and covering all bases here as you don't get this opportunity all the time

Last edited:
Mate, I think we are all thinking exactly the same way you are. So you are amongst friends. :D

I'm doing the same and I'm not even current nor do I have an interview. I have a list of things to get done and have issued the orders to the husband of what he has to do versus what I can take care of. It's now become a military battle plan worthy of Napoleon just to make sure we do it right.

God help you all when I do become current. Wound tighter than a dreidel.

Its getting to the point where the interview is scheduled and you just dont want to be denied due to a small error in reading the fine print :)
Stressing out and covering all bases here as you don't get this opportunity all the time

That was our thinking too. Even though I received a response saying the State one was okay we are getting the Federal one too. Our interview is so close now, I'm getting the paperwork in order and making sure everything is done correctly.

I'm more stressed about working out where to live. We are 98% sure we will be moving to Colorado, I've even narrowed down the town/s and schools but there are a couple of things I still need to work out. I'm spending today continuing to sell our 'stuff', there is so much of it in one household especially with the kids stuff!!

That was our thinking too. Even though I received a response saying the State one was okay we are getting the Federal one too. Our interview is so close now, I'm getting the paperwork in order and making sure everything is done correctly.

I'm more stressed about working out where to live. We are 98% sure we will be moving to Colorado, I've even narrowed down the town/s and schools but there are a couple of things I still need to work out. I'm spending today continuing to sell our 'stuff', there is so much of it in one household especially with the kids stuff!!

We haven't even decided on anything like that yet. We don't want to over commit ourselves. Worried if we plan everything and get everything in order then we won't get the green card and be full of dissapointment. Lets see how I feel after the 10th March :)

We haven't even decided on anything like that yet. We don't want to over commit ourselves. Worried if we plan everything and get everything in order then we won't get the green card and be full of dissapointment. Lets see how I feel after the 10th March :)

I'm a planner so need to research everything well ahead of time. We booked our tickets to Honolulu and the Big Island in Dec (departing Melb 8 June) and we need to get rid of our excess stuff. We won't start selling seriously until we have that Visa stamp. The worst thing that can happen if we don't get approved is we have a nice holiday in Hawaii and we have less stuff!

When applying though AFP for a federal Police Clearance would you choose
#33 Australian Immigration Purposes (ALL OFFENCES) or #35 Overseas employment/Visa (UNSPENT OFFENCES)

When you generate the Form from the website it says "Name Check Only"

The US website states:

Australian police certificates:

• Required for each visa applicant aged 16 years or older.
  • Required if you have resided in Australia for a minimum of 6 months. Police certificates must list ALL ALIASES used during or prior to your residence in that country OR be based on fingerprints. When applying for an Australian police certificate, be sure to note that your request is for the purpose of immigration and for a “Complete Disclosure”.
  • Valid for 12 months and must be valid when entering the U.S
Would I be safe to say just go for the #35 Overseas employment/Visa?
One other thing, there is no place to put Maiden name or my Wife, will it be automatically added on the Clearance?

I know, lots of questions, but lots of answers needed :)

Cheers

# 33 immigration, it is the more comprehensive check and that's what we selected. The DV site states the check must state for immigration purposes and mentions # 33 I think. There was provision for maiden name on the form.

# 33 immigration, it is the more comprehensive check and that's what we selected. The DV site states the check must state for immigration purposes and mentions # 33 I think. There was provision for maiden name on the form.

Sounds good, but did you do it online? as I can't see where it says to add maiden name

Yes did it online as opposed to the Vic Police one which was State based. I'm not sure where the maiden name part is, have you been through the whole form?

it seems to be just one page online then asks you to print a confirmation page, to print sign and upload. I haven't gone past that part yet as wanted to make sure I was doing the right one first

2) We want to fly to the USA over Easter to meet up with my wife's family - which means we would have to activate the Green Card as soon as we enter. Does it somehow affect the Green Card if we apply now for an ESTA visa for the case that we don’t get the Green Card so we can at least holiday in the USA? (applying for the ESTA after the the denial at the interview would most likely mean that an ESTA visa would get rejected and we would have to apply for a tourist visa at the embassy which would take up too much time if we wanna fly by the end of March)

2) ESTA isn't a visa. I think many people on here have ESTA including myself. Anyway I think your chances of getting rejected are fairly small.

it seems to be just one page online then asks you to print a confirmation page, to print sign and upload. I haven't gone past that part yet as wanted to make sure I was doing the right one first

Yes do that and then you will get the whole form to complete. You are on the right track!

I have a job in Pueblo Colorado, probably not the nicest part, but all going well, if I have greencard in hand that's where I'll be. What part are you looking at Gemma?

That's great you have something lined up, where are you planning on living?

We are looking at Morrison, Evergreen or Golden but Evergreen may be too hard a drive for me. I'm hopeless driving over there! Golden has the light rail to Denver which would be handy. I'm looking at getting a job in Denver or the Tech Center.

That's great you have something lined up, where are you planning on living?

We are looking at Morrison, Evergreen or Golden but Evergreen may be too hard a drive for me. I'm hopeless driving over there! Golden has the light rail to Denver which would be handy. I'm looking at getting a job in Denver or the Tech Center.

I guess as close to Pueblo as possible as I'm not the world's greatest commuter and I'm used to a 3min drive to work, so I couldn't cope with too much distance. I'm thinking I will look when I get there, as my future boss has offered me accommodation in her huge house for as long as I need (I have stayed there before), which just reinforces my belief that American's are the most hospitable people.

Hello

Just curious if anyone knows about getting a licence in North Carolina. We have australian licences (heavy truck and full car) is there a day-course to get a full truck/car for the state of nc? Or do you have to re-apply and sit tests etc?

Probably getting way ahead of ourselves but I am bit of a stresser with important things we that are needed.

Tia.

That's a great offer, I would take it. Housing is expensive in CO, I've been tracking the market for houses to buy and condos to rent for almost 12 months now. It takes me nearly 2 hrs to commute to the Melbourne every day and I've been doing it for over 10 years. 17 mikes from Golden to Denver is nothing! But commuting to Denver can take a while too.

Yes I'm seeing that the rents are not as cheap as I thought in Pueblo, unless I want a hovel.. and considering my pay will be a lot less than what I am used to I may well be on the budget end of the market... But I really do want my own place as I don't want to be a house guest for too long, nor share with someone I don't know. Maybe I might end up with a long commute after all. And points to you Gemma for 10 years of that kind of commute. You're a better woman than I

So... I have another question.
Has anyone had the medical recently and been pregnant? Do they do they Chest X-Ray?
Seems like it has to be done and there is no way around it according to the US website.

If the applicant is pregnant must she have a chest x-ray?
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requires that women who are pregnant and required to have a medical examination in connection with the issuance of a visa, and are examined in a country currently using the 2007 TB Technical Instructions must have a chest x-ray examination conducted. Pregnant women will have to provide the panel physician with consent to conduct the chest x-ray. For the health of the applicant and her unborn child, CDC instructs panel physicians and laboratories to provide abdominal and pelvic protection with double layer, wrap-around lead shields when they receive the chest radiographs.

I am not a fan of getting this done? If so we may have to consider not going through with this, as we don't want to take the risk

So... I have another question.
Has anyone had the medical recently and been pregnant? Do they do they Chest X-Ray?
Seems like it has to be done and there is no way around it according to the US website.

If the applicant is pregnant must she have a chest x-ray?
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) requires that women who are pregnant and required to have a medical examination in connection with the issuance of a visa, and are examined in a country currently using the 2007 TB Technical Instructions must have a chest x-ray examination conducted. Pregnant women will have to provide the panel physician with consent to conduct the chest x-ray. For the health of the applicant and her unborn child, CDC instructs panel physicians and laboratories to provide abdominal and pelvic protection with double layer, wrap-around lead shields when they receive the chest radiographs.

I am not a fan of getting this done? If so we may have to consider not going through with this, as we don't want to take the risk

The physician has some latitude on how to meet the requirement. As mentioned above the womans abdomen can be shielded and from what I have read xrays (even unshielded) pose very little risk to the unborn child. The doctor will be careful to protect your health and that of your child. But of course you can discuss that all with the physician and it might be good to have that discussion prior to the medical appointment so that you can save the money if you decide to not take the medical.

One thing you might consider is the timing - perhaps you can delay your medical (and perhaps the interview) to a later date. If you attended an interview for instance without the medical you would be placed on AP until the medical was provided. Risky to put yourself on AP - but it can be done.