TN visa problem and options

kite2020

Registered Users (C)
Today my client manager called me and told the entire project being outsourced to a consulting company and Feb 27th is my last working day.

I am working on TN(3 years) for this client for last 6 months and my daughter studying in private school her class wil complete in June first week. I want my daughter complete her class till june. My wife is housewife.

What options I have? Should I file say B1/B2 for entire family to get some time. I want to try some business. I thinak it is the right time to try now and will later in June decide to go back to work in Canada/USA.

That is what I would do (it's a B2 only by the way) his also gives you time to find another TN. Remember that this application is only valid for as long as you remain in US. If you cross the border that B2 request dies.

Do I have to apply different visas for me and my dependents?
I want to starts a company so need B1, right?
My daughter who studys in KG pvt school need TD( study allowed) to F-1(student visa) or B2(study not allowed), though not sure.
My wife TD to B2/B1(does not matter) she just need to stay with us.

I am thinking to wait till last week of feb to apply for new visas so that maximize my visa time if approved it is fine, not my daughter will complete her class and I will test my entrepeneure capability.

Do you know approoximate time I will get by applying?

You absolutely cannot start a company or even work for yourself while in US. You would have to first return to Canada, set up full residence, set up business there and then do some limited activities in US while still living in Canada. What you are proposing for yourself is illegal. You are not entitled to B1, only "wrap-up B2". There is no such thing as B1/B2 status. That is a visa that is granted allowing non-Cdns entry in one or the other.

You would be all getting B2 simply to wrap up affairs in US. Your daughter would be able to finish the year even though in B2. She is not eligible for F-1 that is for post-secondary. you would, at best, be looking for TN work, nothing else, and preparing to move back.

Indeed. Thanks for the clarificication. Switching t=in thos case would not be necessary. B2 is sufficient in this transient case. The real issue is our poster's misunderstanding of the requirements for B1 -- he is absolutely ineligible, and requesting it would meet with quick denial and order to leave.

I found on us government website. Just for everyone information.
Overview
Generally, a citizen of a foreign country who wishes to enter the United States must first obtain a visa, either a nonimmigrant visa for temporary stay, or an immigrant visa for permanent residence. Visitor visas are nonimmigrant visas for persons who want to enter the United States temporarily for business (visa category B-1), tourism, pleasure or visiting (visa category B-2), or a combination of both purposes (B-1/B-2).

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/visit/visitor.html

It doesn't apply to many on this board, since the majority are Cdn, and exempt from Consular visa. Cdns are quite simply NEVER granted B1 B2 or B1/B2 visas at Consulte. They are granted B1 or B2 status upon netry into US, or by mail.
So not very useful information for anyone.

And even visa-required nationals who get 10-year B1/B2 visas, are still only granted one entry status: B1 for business vistor or B2 for tourism.

Sorry I am stretching it too far. Just found something.
http://www.workpermit.com/us/investor_b1_b2.htm

"
The B1 in lieu of an H1B
In certain, limited circumstances the US Consulate may issue an employment - authorized B1 visa where the work to be undertaken would usually require an H1B visa. This provision is particularly applicable to situations where you may need to send a member of staff to the US for a limited period in order to undertake specific projects for you. The requirements for acquiring a B1 in lieu of H1B are:-
  • The work to be undertaken in the US must be H1B level – i.e. the worker must be engaged in a 'speciality occupation';
  • The worker must permanently employed (i.e. not a contractor) and paid by the employer outside the US;
  • The worker may receive no compensation other than expenses from a US source;
  • The worker must have a degree relevant to the services to be provided– there is no provision for work experience to be considered equivalent to a degree, as there is under the H1B.
The B1 in lieu of H-1 visa generally takes 1 to 2 weeks to obtain, and considerably more supporting documentation is required than for a normal B1 visa. Periods of admission and extension are the same as for the standard B1 visa (i.e. generally 6 months)."

I filled online application it s way different than paper. I should have done by paper. The reason I filled client terminated my contract one week before as told earlier. So contract ended on sunday and I filled application on monday.

It took 4.5 hrs to fill online becasue it asked so much information.

Mistakes
One more country added as country of citizenship, not sure how it got added. I called immigration office who told me to write letter or go to local office to deliver.

For another error I am not sure about the source. In receipt my status also shown as TD. I need some advice to correct.

What information goes in Part 2
I put my wife name seems that is the source of the problem.
I should added my self.
Not sure on dependents.

And in Part 5
Start with my wife details and other dependents.

I should have repeated again my self and each dependent

Last edited:
Guys, Thanks for Information.
I have got similar situation. I was working on TN1 visa and got terminated without notice. I have few questions :
>Can I apply for wrap-up visitor status (B2 ) while on a terminated TN1 visa or I must go to the border?
>Do I need to apply for whole family? or I can leave them in USA on TD status for now ,as I am looking for another TN1 sponsor?
>Can I reenter USA telling the officer that I am going back to wrap up my stuff in USA ?

Thanks in advance.

I am still waiting for decision on 539 application.

I got another offer. And wokring on my TN papers going to send by mail for premium processing.