Tax return please help

Twin_Here

So I was born in the US and my wife wasn't and we are working on getting her I guess citizenship? Or residency? Whatever comes first. Anyways, will it look bad to immigration if we file our taxes separately, because we will get more back if we do. She seems to think immigration wouldn't like it and that it will seem as we aren't together. I mean we can still file as married, just not joint, correct?

Can you explain how you think filing as Married Filing Separately is better for you than Married Filing Jointly? That's extremely rare.

If it is really financially beneficial, then yes, it is okay. You just have to be ready to explain it.

Can you explain how you think filing as Married Filing Separately is better for you than Married Filing Jointly? That's extremely rare.

If it is really financially beneficial, then yes, it is okay. You just have to be ready to explain it.
With my income, if we file joint, our return is 3,000, but if she files alone she gets 5,000 and I would get $400

With my income, if we file joint, our return is 3,000, but if she files alone she gets 5,000 and I would get $400
Are you sure that's right? Does she get some kind of deduction or credit that she can't get if you guys file jointly or something?

She's claiming our son. But we get less back when filed jointly. I guess because my income isn't imcluded in her report.