USCIS Officer Refused My Name Change

springtime

So my interview was today and my application has been recommended for approval; however, the USCIS officer refused to change my name to an English name. She said that I can't change it because I don't have my country's passport. I told her that my mom kept my passport since I was 7 and she lost it, however I brought other documentations when I came over to America and handed it to the USCIS officer. The USCIS officer didn't even bother looking at my documentations and said that I need to go to court to change my name. Is there anyway I can change my name without going to court because it's a $435 dollars fee. Lastly, can USCIS officers ask you how much money you make an hour? I thought that was a weird question since I don't disclose my income to random people out there. But I had to tell the truth since I did swear to tell the truth before the interview. Please help!!!

Do you have your birth certificate? If you have neither a birth certificate nor passport, it might be legitimate for them not to handle your name change (however even then I'm not so sure about that, especially since they should already have copies of one or both on file from your green card process or earlier immigration process).

Make an Infopass appointment and request the name change. Hopefully you will face somebody else who won't be so stupid about it.

Lastly, can USCIS officers ask you how much money you make an hour? I thought that was a weird question since I don't disclose my income to random people out there. But I had to tell the truth since I did swear to tell the truth before the interview.

Swearing to tell the truth doesn't mean your swearing to answer every question. You could have refused to answer the question without violating your promise to tell the truth. I would have at least asked why they're asking me that question.

The officer was out of line, although they could legitimately find out your income through other means such as asking for your latest tax return.