B1/B2 to F1 Status?

Kevin Mayorca

Hello,

I currently have a B1/B2 stamp on my passport valid for more 10 years. I entered the U.S. on January 13 and my I-94 is valid until July 12. However, I only stayed in the U.S. for a week and went to Canada as a visitor where I currently am until February 19. I will go back to the U.S. on February 19 to get my connection flight to my country.

I recently found out a certification program in California that I'm thinking to register. This program takes 9 months to finish. I know I can't do it with my current status.

The registration deadline for the certification is March 15.

So, here are my questions:

a) If I request to change status from B1/B2 to F1 on March 15, should I use the I-94 from January 13 or the time I spent in Canada would count against me and I should use the I-94 they would give me when I go back on February 19?

In both cases, I would be less than 3 months which is risky but I had F1 and H1B visas before and I never got any denies.

b) When I go back to the U.S. on February 19, if I tell the officer at POE that I have the intention to seek studies and they add that to my I-94, how soon could I request to change my status to F1? Would it be safe to request the COS on March 15 after arriving on February 19?

I know I could go back to my country and get a F1 visa, but since I'm in North America one of those two options would save me time and money (air ticket).

Thanks for your time and help.