how to change visa status from f2 to f1

bittu2442

hi i am bittu recently came to usa on dependent visa (f2) but now i want to study and i want to change status from f2 to f1 visa may can i know the procedure how to change.
thamk you.

hi i am bittu recently came to usa on dependent visa (f2) but now i want to study and i want to change status from f2 to f1 visa may can i know the procedure how to change.
thamk you.

You can apply status change from F2 to F1 by filing an online request through ELIS. I am providing detailed steps to the whole process for anyone who might refer to this discussion in future. I did mine while in US itself:

STEP 1: Get documents ready. Have GRE and TOEFL scores ready. I got my marksheets evaluated from E-val reports (NACES recognized). They will convert your scores to GPA and provide transcripts (careful: Some colleges want specifically WES to evaluate your transcript, I found that they need too many documents, being in US I couldnt get it and asked them for refund and opted for E-val. Check what your college wants before paying. Else go for E-val) . Better to get done with this step as soon as possible. Other important document is financial support evidence. I got my cousin to prepare one for me. I got this done for $60000 and got the names of all the colleges I intended to apply, in separate affidavits on Rs 100 stamp paper . I got it done for 4 colleges. Do not worry, as long as your affidavit has name and sufficient amount mentioned, colleges wont bother with the format. Better to get done with this asap. Formats are available on college websites. Kettering college affidavit looks good and you can simply change college name for each copy. Get two originals for each college. You can even show house, car, etc for getting affidavit done. Its not that difficult if you got right lawyer.

STEP 2: Apply to all colleges. Would suggest as back up keep a college which deosnt need GRE. There are good colleges who give admission on basis of work ex and college marks only. You will need to upload transcripts and finance affidavit. Once you get admission, you will get SEVIS mailed to your US address.

STEP 3: Apply on ELIS. It is very easy and convenient.

STEP 4: Wait. this is the most difficult phase. Ensure you apply atleast 4 months before college start date. My admission got deferred as my visa change took 3.5 months. Don't go by average processing time date. It does take more than 2,5 months (mentioned on USCIS website). No point asking to expedite nothing helps :(

I think we have to spend around 200-300$ for SEVIS and ELIS fee. Best thing to do would be to come to US on F1 visa and not F2. Its faster and easier to get visa in India over US. Being on F2 visa you cannot work or study. If you want to spend time productively, makes much sense to apply for F1 in India. If you get admission it will take you hardly 2 weeks to get the visa in India. Though be aware, colleges wont give you i-20 atleast two months before college start date. So plan five months ahead of start date. The term in each college varies, some have 3 months term (making in 4 terms in a year), some have 4 months term (making it 3 terms in a year). Some acutally give admission only for Fall i.e. October onwards on a yearly basis. Do your research well. It take atleast a month to research and shortlist colleges without any regrets. Time is crucial so plan well. good luck. You can post here if you need any more information. I will be happy to help.

(P.S. Please cross check each point I have mentioned, I have mentioned my experiences and do not take responsibility for any of the above statements. Never know, things might vary in your case)

To change your U.S. visa status, you can either a) travel out of the U.S., apply at a U.S. consulate for the new visa type, and re-enter the U.S. in the new status OR b) apply for a change of status within the U.S. by sending an application to an immigration service center as described in this handout. To apply within the U.S. to change from F-2 dependent status to F-1 student status, complete the application packet and mail the items listed in the application to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Review your complete application with some reputed visa service provider and mail it to USCIS. USCIS will take approximately 1 to 3 months to approve your change of status application.

Hi,

I am getting married in December 2016 and will be applying for F2 visa immediately. I am applying for full-time masters for Fall 2017. I have come to know that I cannot enroll in full-time courses on F2 visa. I will be receiving my i20 2 months prior to my start of session. I have heard that if I apply for change of status(from F2 to F1) from US, it takes time and I don't want to defer my masters. Is it possible if I travel to India on receiving my i20 and get my visa status changed from India itself? If it is possible, what is the procedure and how much time does it take?
Thank you