Green card for TN visa holder

web_guru2003

Registered Users (C)
I am a Canadian citizen working on TN in USA for last 2 years. My wife is on TD status and our couple of kids are US citizens. (I have also worked in US from 1998-2007 on H1B)

I got my TN re stamped because of change of employer in July 2014 (so I have around 2.5 years left on TN). My current employer is willing to apply for my GC. Is is possible and safe to apply for GC with 2.5 years remaining in TN expiration?

I am in EB2 category and my birth country is Pakistan (I have heard and read that its taking around 1-1.5 years to complete the process for Pakistani born)

Alternatively, do I need to get H1B first to be on safe side and then apply for GC

Hello..
There is no requirements that a foreign national be in H1b status in order to apply for an immigrant visa.. I recommend you consult with an experienced attorney..

There is an excellent thread on how to proceed from TN to GC without H1-b. The time factor is not important, as you can always renew TN up until last stage and at that point you switch your work status to EAD. In any event EB2 should process rather quickly.

Look for "curiousgeorge" posting.