B1/B2 visa - Validity for entry?

CongboPhan

Hi all,
I hold a B1/B2 Visa type now. Its expiration date is on 12nd May 2015. I will go to US in the end of this March for attend a conference till early April. So that, I would like to ask whether could I enter US with that Visa or not?
Thank you so much for your response.

Yes. A U.S. visa is for entry. Its expiration date is the last day you can enter. So you can enter on May 12 or any day before. Your duration of stay is determined independently when you enter. Someone entering on B1/B2 will usually get a duration of stay of 6 months. So for example, you can even enter on May 12 and stay until November.

Thanks a lot for your help. Actually, this is the second times I enter US with that 1 year VISA for attending the conference.

Thanks a lot for your help. Actually, this is the second times I enter US with that 1 year VISA for attending the conference.
You have a multiple entry visa, right? If so, it shouldn't matter that it's the second time, unless you stayed a long time the first time and is returning very soon after.

Yes. If you have valid B1/B2 Visa then you can visit any date before B1/B2 Visa Expiration date. later you can extend Visa Duration stays.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi..
You can extend your visa within duration period..
A U.S. visa is only for entry. There is no such thing as "extending" a visa. You can get a new visa outside the U.S. The validity of a U.S. visa has absolutely nothing to do with the duration of stay in the U.S. The status in the U.S. can be extended, but again this is not related to the visa.