Entry into US as a Canadian Citizen after 10 year ban

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarvis777

Registered Users (C)
I am hoping I could get some information about this.

I had a 10 year ban to enter to US as I had previously overstayed a visa and was asked to leave, and voluntary left. I tried to reenter once in the last 10 years, and was told at the border that I can not enter until my 10 year perioid is up - unless I apply for a waiver and so on. I was told that if i didnt want to apply for a waiver, then I would just wait my 10 years and then come back to the border (or any entry point) and let them know I've completed my ban and would like to visit the US.

Anyway, now I have passed the 10 years, and am planning to go to the border (I think that might be the easiet way).

I am wondering what the proper procedure would be to follow to reenter.

Should I just show up at the border like I was advised to do?
Should I take some additional documents with me?
Do I actually need to apply for a US visitor visa prior to this (I have read some threads where it said so) or will I be issued a visitor visa on the spot if they approve my rerentry?
Is the border the best place to do this or can I go elsewhere to do this? I dont want to buy a plane ticket in advance and then lose money if I am not granted permission.

Oh, and ps. I am now a Canadian citizen (hold dual citizenship from my birth country as well) - and also, I have no criminal record in the US or in Canada.

Thanks for your help :)

Last edited by a moderator:

I had a 10 year ban to enter to US as I had previously overstayed a visa and was asked to leave, and voluntary left. I tried to reenter once in the last 10 years, and was told at the border that I can not enter until my 10 year perioid is up - unless I apply for a waiver and so on. I was told that if i didnt want to apply for a waiver, then I would just wait my 10 years and then come back to the border (or any entry point) and let them know I've completed my ban and would like to visit the US.

Anyway, now I have passed the 10 years, and am planning to go to the border (I think that might be the easiet way).

Do I actually need to apply for a US visitor visa prior to this (I have read some threads where it said so) or will I be issued a visitor visa on the spot if they approve my rerentry?
Is the border the best place to do this or can I go elsewhere to do this? I dont want to buy a plane ticket in advance and then lose money if I am not granted permission.

Oh, and ps. I am now a Canadian citizen (hold dual citizenship from my birth country as well) - and also, I have no criminal record in the US or in Canada.

It MIGHT be easier to apply for an actual B-2 (tourist) visa through the embassy/consulate in advance BUT it is NOT required. IF you show up at the border, fully disclose the issue and you will be sent to secondary inspection at which point, the extra papers you have will help speed it up. try the peace bridge or Windsor-Detroit tunnel or Vancouver or Blaine, WA POEs (they have more experience and are faster). That said, any POE will work.

Good Luck.

Thanks a lot for that information.

I am in Toronto so will try one of the POE you suggested. Do you think the Rainbow bridge in Niagara falls would be good? I could just walk over while at Niagara Falls.

Also, what extra papers would they ask for? I dont have any papers with from from my stay in the US.
I own property in Canada and have a permenant job. Would paperwork showing that be helpful?

Thanks and have a good Sunday!

It MIGHT be easier to apply for an actual B-2 (tourist) visa through the embassy/consulate in advance BUT it is NOT required. IF you show up at the border, fully disclose the issue and you will be sent to secondary inspection at which point, the extra papers you have will help speed it up. try the peace bridge or Windsor-Detroit tunnel or Vancouver or Blaine, WA POEs (they have more experience and are faster). That said, any POE will work.

Good Luck.

Ideally you will have the papers given to you by the US gov't when you left which describe your ban. Otherwise, you have many points of ID available so that they can find it fast. They know you SOMEWHERE, don't hid it, or else bad things will happen when they find you out! They can do eye scans and facial scans in addition to fingerprints nowadays. Fess up, its easier.

Ideally you will have the papers given to you by the US gov't when you left which describe your ban. Otherwise, you have many points of ID available so that they can find it fast. They know you SOMEWHERE, don't hid it, or else bad things will happen when they find you out! They can do eye scans and facial scans in addition to fingerprints nowadays. Fess up, its easier.

Hey again

I actually crossed the border into Canada and came in as a refugee claimaint, so I really didnt have any interaction with the US authorities when I left 10 years ago.
They would know who I am for sure as when I tried to re-enter a while ago, I was told I couldn't enter because of the ban (which at that time, I didnt realize I had one)- so they would have that on record as well that I was told to come back after the bad period is over.

Anyway, I can take my refugee cliamiant documentation to show my date of entry into Canada.

I'll post again once I've tried re-entering to let you all know how it went.

re: 10 year ban

Hello
yes i did enter usa after 10 year ban expired and surprisingly had very positive experience with cbp - i had taken my 'property' papers, job letter' and even bank statements, along with bunch of other documents...but they really didn't ask for any....they had all my info in system and knew exactly when i left usa and when i attempted to re-enter (unsuccessfully, just like you, i didn't know i was banned for 10 years) just make sure you take 'job letter' ..this is one thing i remember showing them....other than that everything should be fine...remember..once ban expires...there is no legal reason they can stop you from entering..btw i went to states to visit my family for about 10 days.
Hope this helps....srkhan
ps: I would not take flight to enter usa, atleast for your initial visit after the ban....cross either niagara falls or fort erie.. You should be fine.
btw..i crossed fort erie border(peace bridge) with canadian passport

Hello
yes i did enter usa after 10 year ban expired and surprisingly had very positive experience with cbp - i had taken my 'property' papers, job letter' and even bank statements, along with bunch of other documents...but they really didn't ask for any....they had all my info in system and knew exactly when i left usa and when i attempted to re-enter (unsuccessfully, just like you, i didn't know i was banned for 10 years) just make sure you take 'job letter' ..this is one thing i remember showing them....other than that everything should be fine...remember..once ban expires...there is no legal reason they can stop you from entering..btw i went to states to visit my family for about 10 days.
Hope this helps....srkhan
ps: I would not take flight to enter usa, atleast for your initial visit after the ban....cross either niagara falls or fort erie.. You should be fine.
btw..i crossed fort erie border(peace bridge) with canadian passport

Hey, congrats for being successful in entering the US. And thanks for sharing your experience and advise with me. I am now more hopeful and less nervous about the process. :)

SRKHAN experience is helpful but you should follow BigJoe5 advice and be candid and honest. He knows what he is talking about. Unlike what SRKHAN said, there are plenty reasons why a CBP agent may deny you entry, ban or no ban. The offiecers have ample discretion. Good luck.

I wanted to provide an update that I was able to cross the border!

i went to rainbow bridge (walked over) and it took about 30 minutes. I showed the officer my job letter and property papers. At the end he said that I was admissible and that I can expect that this process may happen again next time I enter the US. He encouraged me to bring my tax return and a utility bill next time as well, and to 'organize' my paperwork in a file so that its easier for the officer to just go through it next time. I think he wanted to make sure that I was truly settled in Canada and had no intentions to stay in the US.

Anyway, thanks for all the help on here.:cool:

Thanks for the information

Thanks guys for providing your experience. I have a similar situation, left in 2003 on my own accord, had no action taken against me. However, at the airport, the airline did not take my I-94 and I have lost my passport since (that shows entry into a country, after I left the US).

Would the immigration have the record from the airline that I left? I need to figure out how to show that I left the US in 2003 and that my 10 years are done.

Thanks,

Ray

Hi Jarvis

I also live in Toronto ( possibly just around the corner from you on Sherbourne)

I also face similar situation. However I'm only a permanent resident. Until after Sep 2013 i can become a Canadian Citizen.
I was brought into USA when i was a kid and stay until 2003. ( already grown up and after 18). i still have my flight boarding pass saved. I was never asked to leave usa, but didn't had status there and no criminal record.Anyways Last year i went to USA embassy to apply for US tourist visa and they told me i was inadmissible and i had to wait the 10 years which is up Now.

I'm also a bit nervous and don't want to spend so much money like last year just to be denied. I had my work letter, my round trip airplane tickets, hotel booked. It didn't helped and i was denied.

Now i would try again. - but i may do what you did. Just go to bridge. Do you think because you are a Canadian Citizen that made the difference?

I am requesting for your help about USA immigration problems.I am a Canadian citizen living in Toronto,Canada in my own house since 2000. Before that I visited USA,as a Pakistani citizen with Pakistani passpot for 6 months visit visa and stayed in USA for over 5 years illegally .Then got Canadian immigration and moved to Toronto in March, 2000 .. I tried to visit family friends in USA in 2002 , but on USA/Canadsa border but I was told by USA immigration officer that I cannot visit USA for 10 years.I did not apply for any waiver .Now that 10 years bar time must be over as it is 14 years past year 2000 ,last stay in USA. Please let me know , How can I check and confirm legally , if that 10 years bar is now terminated and can I visit / reenter to USA ??.Is there any permanant Bar on me to visit USA .Kindly help me with information or let me know any website or free service to give me lagal advice / information of my status,please. Best Regards

I am requesting for your help about USA immigration problems.I am a Canadian citizen living in Toronto,Canada in my own house since 2000. Before that I visited USA,as a Pakistani citizen with Pakistani passpot for 6 months visit visa and stayed in USA for over 5 years illegally .Then got Canadian immigration and moved to Toronto in March, 2000 .. I tried to visit family friends in USA in 2002 , but on USA/Canadsa border but I was told by USA immigration officer that I cannot visit USA for 10 years.I did not apply for any waiver .Now that 10 years bar time must be over as it is 14 years past year 2000 ,last stay in USA. Please let me know , How can I check and confirm legally , if that 10 years bar is now terminated and can I visit / reenter to USA ??.Is there any permanant Bar on me to visit USA .Kindly help me with information or let me know any website or free service to give me lagal advice / information of my status,please. Best Regards
I think that if your ban is over, then there is nothing you need to do with respect to the ban. As a Canadian citizen, you can apply to enter the U.S. for visit purposes without a visa. As always, there is no guarantee they will let you in.

I've been in New York 5 times. Each time I stay up to 80-85 days (less than 90 days).

I always have my ESTA visa.

4th time: my arrival July 22nd - departure October 5th - I had to "overstay " by 25 days (in total 115 days) , I had too much luggage and had to book a New Ticket to Sweden.
I found one ticket for a decent price October 30th, but that ticket got cancelled because of Sandy so they gave me a new ticket for November 2nd.

I came back January 11th 2013, and I had to go through inspection, I don't remember too much. I ended up at the hospital as soon I arrived at the airport (JFK). I almost bled to death, I passed out etc.

I came back from New York 2014 October 11th so I have a ten year bar. Obviously!!

What happens now? (I mean after the bar)

Take care
// Daniella

Hi...
After 10 years ban is over..You can go back. They have no legal reason to deny entry after you have waited 10 years .every thing starts fresh after 10 years....Remember you can apply for 'WAIVER' if you 'have' to visit usa..but it takes time and money and you will likely have to apply every time you visit..
It was not worthwhile for me..I waited 10 years and now regularly visit states as canadian citizen..
Hope this helps

member: 371397"]I've been in New York 5 times. Each time I stay up to 80-85 days (less than 90 days).

I always have my ESTA visa.

4th time: my arrival July 22nd - departure October 5th - I had to "overstay " by 25 days (in total 115 days) , I had too much luggage and had to book a New Ticket to Sweden.
I found one ticket for a decent price October 30th, but that ticket got cancelled because of Sandy so they gave me a new ticket for November 2nd.

I came back January 11th 2013, and I had to go through inspection, I don't remember too much. I ended up at the hospital as soon I arrived at the airport (JFK). I almost bled to death, I passed out etc.

I came back from New York 2014 October 11th so I have a ten year bar. Obviously!!

What happens now? (I mean after the bar)

Take care
// Daniella[/QUOTE]

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I get so confused by reading all these different story's with no decent answers, AT ALL!!

I'm definitely waiting out the 10 year ban, I don't even want to try. Like you said it's definitely not worth the money/effort.

Should I apply for a nonimmigrant visa? Since I'm from Sweden. You Canadians don't need a visa...?
I just want to get this out of my picture (when it's time.)

I'm travelling alot too, I don't want any trouble with flight connections in U.S

Greetings from Sweden.
I really appreciate your help !

Hi.
as long as 10 years have passed...you are free to go to states. I was in same situation as yours. .I can understand what u r going thru...As long as you had no criminal records or convictions..In usa or now in Canada. ..cbp has no valid reason to stop u from entering if you still want to make sure that your ban is over...You can goto Pearson airport and actually see usa customs and border petrol in terminal 1....
I actually went there to apply for waiver after my 10 years were up..cbp actually advised me not to do it as they had all my records .and assured me that I cod drive down to any border crossing...which I did..I took all documents which showed I was now settled in Canada. ..job letter..property tax bill..recent pay stub. .Once they were satisfied..they let me in.......process took about 30 mins...I was pleasantly surprised...Cheers. .

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! I get so confused by reading all these different story's with no decent answers, AT ALL!!

I'm definitely waiting out the 10 year ban, I don't even want to try. Like you said it's definitely not worth the money/effort.

Should I apply for a nonimmigrant visa? Since I'm from Sweden. You Canadians don't need a visa...?
I just want to get this out of my picture (when it's time.)

I'm travelling alot too, I don't want any trouble with flight connections in U.S

Greetings from Sweden.
I really appreciate your help !
hi back.........no need to thank...glad i could help...and i definitly understand why you'd be so confused about all these stories...i felt same way few years ago....
now due to your 10 year ban...unfortunately..you're not eligible to apply for any kind of visa until your ban expires...nonimmigrant or immigrant or visit or student visa....although im not a immigration lawyer..im pretty sure this is true.. you just have to wait out the ban!after 10 years, you can apply for any visa you want....ASs for your 'connecting flights'..thru usa....yes you need to make sure you do not go thru 'usa' as you'll have nightmare of time and cbp will deport you back even though you're just 'transiting' thru to another country....hope this helps...and cheers...

Status
Not open for further replies.