• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Have a safe trip to Sydney @Essey and good luck with your interview. Looking forward to hearing about your experiences...not a bad xmas present!

I just transferred half my savings into US dollars via foreign currency account with CBA and it definitely cuts pretty deep. Then I remembered that everything is cheaper in the US so the amount I now have in USD will go further than here in Sydney town. When I actually arrive in the US and open up a bank account, I will most likely use Ozforex as they seem to have the best rates and lowest spreads.

We were considering doing this.... what sort of rate did you get/what fees are associated?

Greetings from San Francisco, my POE this morning. Yup peeps Im here and NOW a lawful permanent resident of the USA!:D

Its been a huge week for me. Packing me then helping my sister unpack into her new home in NZ but now I am here and feeling slightly muntedo_O but very happy:):cool::D;)

I thought I would share my POE experience in SFO today.

Ok, well I got a little excited and went to the permanent resident line at immigration which was incorrect however the nice officer did my finger prints and then directed me to the far counter that reads 'New Immigrants'.

I rock up and present my sealed packet from the SYD consulate that states DO NOT OPEN and my passport. The officer opens the packet, flicks through the docs, which by the way contains the copy of the documents we present at our interviews.
After a few seconds of flicking he looks at me and asks 'where is your application form?'
More flicking and he says there is no application form, you need your application form. My heart sinks!
I advise him that this packet came to me from the SYD consulate with clear instructions that I am not to open it. I had no idea what the contents were, or meant to be.
Then he asks me where my photos are? What photos I ask? 'The photos for my green card, there should be 2' he says.
Well now Im crapping myself and totally in dismay at the freakin SYD consulate.

The officer was very nice and acknowledged that it was not my error. He told me not to worry and it would be fine, the process was just going to take longer.
He took me to the mug shot area for the crims and did my GC photos. I could hear someone in the detention room being interrogated and man they were getting a drilling!

I was then asked to take a seat while he figured it all out.

Probably a bit over an hour the process took. A little nerve racking but I just kept telling myself I was fine, it wasnt my fault and this nice guy is sorting it all out.

End result is Im here writing this and all worked out;)

Im planning on writing to the SYD consulate to express my disappointment in their continued cock ups from the time I had my interview.

1st they returned documents to me that they should have retained at the time of my the interview along with the photos I presented. I was told the photos had been scanned and the originals were not required. Clearly not the case.
I had to courier my docs back to them before I could get my passport back. That was a 2 week delay.

Now today at POE.
SYD doesnt put my photos and freakin application form in the packet! Im assuming when he said application form he meant the DS260. Sorry I was freaking out too much to think to ask exactly what form.

Aimlk also had problems at her interview. I know she posted about it a few pages back.
As I said to Aimlk, if we had screwed up as much as them we would have been disqualified for sure.

Its hard to be too pissed at the moment as Im so freakin happy to be here, but how disappointing SYD appears to be so bloody incompetent.

Not sure how to combat this one for you guys in the future.
Perhaps if you ask your CO at your interview (what goes in the packet that is presented at POE?), would be a good start.
Then before you leave your interview make sure you have left the Docs required for the packet which are:
1. Copy of your application form
2. A complete copy of all the docs you presented at your interview, including medical and;
3. 2 x US size passport photos.

Hope this makes sense and helps;) Im so tired so please forgive me if this is a little scrambled.

Please let me know if you want clarification on anything.

Simon!
Mate, can we take a rain check on the coffee? I have to be in Vail CO by the 25th so heading out early tomorrow. Am in San Anselmo for the night with friends. Nice to share the same time zone bud!
I will be back in the bay area in a couple months so hope we connect then.:);)

Happy Holidays All!
Have fun and please be safe!

We were considering doing this.... what sort of rate did you get/what fees are associated?
Setting up the account was free and it's all accessed via online banking with CBA. They charge $30 flat fee for depositing and withdrawing cash but given this was a one off amount I didn't think it was a big deal. There is also an $8 admin fee. No interest is earned on foreign accounts (which is why I only moved half my savings). The rate on XE was 81.9c and I got 79.6c through the bank but all the rates seemed pretty similar (I didn't do heaps of research...I should've but I didn't)

Greetings from San Francisco, my POE this morning. Yup peeps Im here and NOW a lawful permanent resident of the USA!:D

Its been a huge week for me. Packing me then helping my sister unpack into her new home in NZ but now I am here and feeling slightly muntedo_O but very happy:):cool::D;)

Ok, well I got a little excited and went to the permanent resident line at immigration which was incorrect however the nice officer did my finger prints and then directed me to the far counter that reads 'New Immigrants'.

I rock up and present my sealed packet from the SYD consulate that states DO NOT OPEN and my passport. The officer opens the packet, flicks through the docs, which by the way contains the copy of the documents we present at our interviews.
After a few seconds of flicking he looks at me and asks 'where is your application form?'
More flicking and he says there is no application form, you need your application form. My heart sinks!
I advise him that this packet came to me from the SYD consulate with clear instructions that I am not to open it. I had no idea what the contents were, or meant to be.
Then he asks me where my photos are? What photos I ask? 'The photos for my green card, there should be 2' he says.

The officer was very nice and acknowledged that it was not my error. He told me not to worry and it would be fine, the process was just going to take longer.
He took me to the mug shot area for the crims and did my GC photos. I could hear someone in the detention room being interrogated and man they were getting a drilling!

Probably a bit over an hour the process took. A little nerve racking but I just kept telling myself I was fine, it wasnt my fault and this nice guy is sorting it all out.

Im planning on writing to the SYD consulate to express my disappointment in their continued cock ups from the time I had my interview.

1st they returned documents to me that they should have retained at the time of my the interview along with the photos I presented. I was told the photos had been scanned and the originals were not required. Clearly not the case.
I had to courier my docs back to them before I could get my passport back. That was a 2 week delay.

Now today at POE.
SYD doesnt put my photos and freakin application form in the packet! Im assuming when he said application form he meant the DS260. Sorry I was freaking out too much to think to ask exactly what form.

Aimlk also had problems at her interview. I know she posted about it a few pages back.
As I said to Aimlk, if we had screwed up as much as them we would have been disqualified for sure.

Its hard to be too pissed at the moment as Im so freakin happy to be here, but how disappointing SYD appears to be so bloody incompetent.

Perhaps if you ask your CO at your interview (what goes in the packet that is presented at POE?), would be a good start.
Then before you leave your interview make sure you have left the Docs required for the packet which are:
2. A complete copy of all the docs you presented at your interview, including medical and;

Hope this makes sense and helps;) Im so tired so please forgive me if this is a little scrambled.

Simon!
Mate, can we take a rain check on the coffee? I have to be in Vail CO by the 25th so heading out early tomorrow. Am in San Anselmo for the night with friends. Nice to share the same time zone bud!

Happy Holidays All!

How stressful for you! I can't believe they forgot such vital documents and made such a mess of it all! It makes it a bit worrying for the rest of us too - you'd imagine that they would know what they were going!

Glad it's all over for you now though and you're officially a PR! Congrats ! :D

Now today at POE.

Simon!

Happy Holidays All!

Now, you're GREEN :D:D Congratulations!

Now today at POE.

Simon!

Happy Holidays All!

Sorry about the hassle on arrival, grrr, but well done on getting in!
I've only been resident in the bay area less than a week but seeing as I am resident here nevertheless, I can also say "welcome" :)
[invites self to coffee catchup on your return from CO :D ]

Now today at POE.

Simon!

Happy Holidays All!

Wow, Sydney really suck at their job. Glad you got it sorted out and congrats on being green. Enjoy Vail, and yeah the coffee will wait!

Setting up the account was free and it's all accessed via online banking with CBA. They charge $30 flat fee for depositing and withdrawing cash but given this was a one off amount I didn't think it was a big deal. There is also an $8 admin fee. No interest is earned on foreign accounts (which is why I only moved half my savings). The rate on XE was 81.9c and I got 79.6c through the bank but all the rates seemed pretty similar (I didn't do heaps of research...I should've but I didn't)

So how do you access that US money now? Do you transfer it to a US account or have to withdraw the cash in Australia ?

Emily, you can officially update your spreadsheet under my name to US bound!!

I'm writing this at the airport over a celebratory burrito whilst I wait for my flight as I don't want to forget anything.

My interview was or 10:30am and I flew up to Sydney from Melbourne the night before and stayed at Travelodge which is just a block from the Consulate. The next morning I arrived at the consulate an tried to go straight to level 59, which is what it says on y interview letter but what it doesn't say is that you have to go through security on leek 10 first. Luckily some nice people in the lift told me what to do. When I arrived at 10 there was a bunch of security and they guide you into the security areA. I was super eager and got there at 9:45 and the guy told me to come back at 10 because I was too early. So I went and got a coffee and came back a bit after 10 and they let me through.

You have to leave your bag and phone on level 10 and don't worry about sealing your medical because they take the cd of your X-rays out as you're not allowed to take it up to the interview for security reasons. They said it wouldn't be a problem and it wasn't. So armed with my documents I headed up to level 59 and took a ticket and wait for my number to be called.

There were definitely inconsistencies and issues wit the Sydney consulate which would have definitely affected me if wasn't for this forum and I truly owe it to everyone sharing heir experiences here ant at it went so smoothly.

The first time I get called after maybe 5 minutes, the man asks if I have the checklist they sent me for my documents. I never got sent anything but I had used the latest check list one of you guys had been sent and it was fine. I really didn't want to be the one to tell them they haven't been sending them out properly. He took all me documents, medical, which he made me take out of the envelope (another reason not to worry about it not being sealed) and prepaid envelope then tells me to take a seat again and wait or my interview. He only took one of my photographs and got me to write your name on the back of it, which I hadn't done. I just remembered he asked me how old the photo was, I had it taken last week so was all good. I didn't really want to argue with him about taking two photos either and I figured I would just take additional ones with me myself when I enter the U.S. I also only had my DS260 confirmation page, not the entire thing as that's what it said on the website and the checklist and only saw OC_EMS' post this morning. He also took my fingerprints at this time.

All my documents were fine and the dame man called me back to give me my interview letter and originals back to me but didn't ask for any additional docs. I also made sure he didn't hand back any other copies. He then told me to take a seat and wait to be called for my interview. While I had been waiting, I had been noticing everyone being sent to the register to pay their interview and as I hadn't been told to, I asked him about it and he was like "oh yeah" and gave me this card to take to the register to pay my fee and brimg back my receipt. The fee was AUD$396 and I paid in cash, then took my receipt back to the man with my docs. I'm sure if I hadn't asked it would taken longer as he'd obviously forgot about it!

Less than 10 minutes later I got called up for my interview at another window and had to take an affirmation that my documents and everything I said was true and correct. The lady asked me why I wanted a green card or something like that and I just told her I loved the country and I had travelled there before and had friends there and would love the opportunity to work there. She then asked me what I did which I told her (lawyer). I didn't mention I'm planning on retiring from law when I get to the States though! She then asked what area and I told her and then she asked what area was I planning on moving to and I told her Los Angeles. I don't think she asked anything else but we tried doing my fingerprints again about 3 or 4 times with no luck and then she said almost off the cuff "everything's fine, your visa is approved, we just need to get your fingerprints done". I ended up being sent to another window for this, but there was a guy there trying to prove his relationship for a marriage which took AGES so I had to wait maybe another 30 mins just to finish my fingerprints and I also had to do the affirmation again, but then it was all done! He said it would be sent in 1-2 weeks so I guess we shall wait and see.

So all in all, a pretty easy experience, I was worried about my birth certificate only having one parent's name on it, but they didn't even mention it and they didn't ask form anything other than the BARE minimum, no transcripts, uni degrees or financial information even though I had it all ready just in case. The people doing spouse visas at the same time certainly got grilled a whole lot ore so I'm I didn't have to go through that process.

Once again thanks everyone who has shared their experiences on here, it was super super helpful and made the process as stress free as it possibly could have been! Sorry if this is a bit long but hope that it helps those still to come. :D

Last edited:

I'm writing this at the airport over a celebratory burrito whilst I wait for my flight as I don't want to forget anything.

My interview was or 10:30am and I flew up to Sydney from Melbourne the night before and stayed at Travelodge which is just a block from the Consulate. The next morning I arrived at the consulate an tried to go straight to level 59, which is what it says on y interview letter but what it doesn't say is that you have to go through security on leek 10 first. Luckily some nice people in the lift told me what to do. When I arrived at 10 there was a bunch of security and they guide you into the security areA. I was super eager and got there at 9:45 and the guy told me to come back at 10 because I was too early. So I went and got a coffee and came back a bit after 10 and they let me through.

You have to leave your bag and phone on level 10 and don't worry about sealing your medical because they take the cd of your X-rays out as you're not allowed to take it up to the interview for security reasons. They said it wouldn't be a problem and it wasn't. So armed with my documents I headed up to level 59 and took a ticket and wait for my number to be called.

There were definitely inconsistencies and issues wit the Sydney consulate which would have definitely affected me if wasn't for this forum and I truly owe it to everyone sharing heir experiences here ant at it went so smoothly.

The first time I get called after maybe 5 minutes, the man asks if I have the checklist they sent me for my documents. I never got sent anything but I had used the latest check list one of you guys had been sent and it was fine. I really didn't want to be the one to tell them they haven't been sending them out properly. He took all me documents, medical, which he made me take out of the envelope (another reason not to worry about it not being sealed) and prepaid envelope then tells me to take a seat again and wait or my interview. He only took one of my photographs and got me to write your name on the back of it, which I hadn't done. I just remembered he asked me how old the photo was, I had it taken last week so was all good. I didn't really want to argue with him about taking two photos either and I figured I would just take additional ones with me myself when I enter the U.S. I also only had my DS260 confirmation page, not the entire thing as that's what it said on the website and the checklist and only saw OC_EMS' post this morning. He also took my fingerprints at this time.

All my documents were fine and the dame man called me back to give me my interview letter and originals back to me but didn't ask for any additional docs. I also made sure he didn't hand back any other copies. He then told me to take a seat and wait to be called for my interview. While I had been waiting, I had been noticing everyone being sent to the register to pay their interview and as I hadn't been told to, I asked him about it and he was like "oh yeah" and gave me this card to take to the register to pay my fee and brimg back my receipt. The fee was AUD$396 and I paid in cash, then took my receipt back to the man with my docs. I'm sure if I hadn't asked it would taken longer as he'd obviously forgot about it!

Less than 10 minutes later I got called up for my interview at another window and had to take an affirmation that my documents and everything I said was true and correct. The lady asked me why I wanted a green card or something like that and I just told her I loved the country and I had travelled there before and had friends there and would love the opportunity to work there. She then asked me what I did which I told her (lawyer). I didn't mention I'm planning on retiring from law when I get to the States though! She then asked what area and I told her and then she asked what area was I planning on moving to and I told her Los Angeles. I don't think she asked anything else but we tried doing my fingerprints again about 3 or 4 times with no luck and then she said almost off the cuff "everything's fine, your visa is approved, we just need to get your fingerprints done". I ended up being sent to another window for this, but there was a guy there trying to prove his relationship for a marriage which took AGES so I had to wait maybe another 30 mins just to finish my fingerprints and I also had to do the affirmation again, but then it was all done! He said it would be sent in 1-2 weeks so I guess we shall wait and see.

So all in all, a pretty easy experience, I was worried about my birth certificate only having one parent's name on it, but they didn't even mention it and they didn't ask form anything other than the BARE minimum, no transcripts, uni degrees or financial information even though I had it all ready just in case. The people doing spouse visas at the same time certainly got grilled a whole lot ore so I'm I didn't have to go through that process.

Once again thanks everyone who has shared their experiences on here, it was super super helpful and made the process as stress free as it possibly could have been! Sorry if this is a bit long but hope that it helps those still to come. :D

Hooraaaaaaaaaaay! well done! When are you coming?

Congrats! :D :D See you in LA!! (as long as we get approved :p )

Hi all, congratulations Essey!!! I too attended the interview today and was approved. The whole experience was straight forward and a lot less stressful than I had anticipated or imagined. I did not have a checklist emailled either, but nor was I asked for it, all my documents were in the order already discussed on this forum (thank you so much for this information) and the documents were complete and I did not need the supplementary paperwork I took along, nothing additional was asked for. I was asked why I wanted to live in US and my response was family and work. He asked the years I completed my education, the year my husband died and a few other straightforward questions that were either a yes or no response. On all advise, I said nothing more than what was requested. The Officer was very 'poker faced' and looked at the docs very carefully, cross checking names etc then he said the visa is approved!! I need to now just let it all 'sink in'… my daughter and her family in US are elated… (it would have been 2 more years before they could sponsor me as family to emigrate) ..The same day as I had my visa approved, I sold my house and I am now going to have a busy week organizing myself.. plan to be in LA mid January 2015. It has been many years of hoping, wishing and dreaming, today my life has changed forever. I must say, that I have felt the support and advise given on this forum has been such a wonderful help and I feel so sorry for those who did not log into this valuable resource to help them. My prayers will now be directed to those of you who are still waiting for the interviews!!!

Hi all, congratulations Essey!!! I too attended the interview today and was approved. The whole experience was straight forward and a lot less stressful than I had anticipated or imagined. I did not have a checklist emailled either, but nor was I asked for it, all my documents were in the order already discussed on this forum (thank you so much for this information) and the documents were complete and I did not need the supplementary paperwork I took along, nothing additional was asked for. I was asked why I wanted to live in US and my response was family and work. He asked the years I completed my education, the year my husband died and a few other straightforward questions that were either a yes or no response. On all advise, I said nothing more than what was requested. The Officer was very 'poker faced' and looked at the docs very carefully, cross checking names etc then he said the visa is approved!! I need to now just let it all 'sink in'… my daughter and her family in US are elated… (it would have been 2 more years before they could sponsor me as family to emigrate) ..The same day as I had my visa approved, I sold my house and I am now going to have a busy week organizing myself.. plan to be in LA mid January 2015. It has been many years of hoping, wishing and dreaming, today my life has changed forever. I must say, that I have felt the support and advise given on this forum has been such a wonderful help and I feel so sorry for those who did not log into this valuable resource to help them. My prayers will now be directed to those of you who are still waiting for the interviews!!!
Congrats to you too! Very happy for you. Did they say at all how long it would take to get your passport and stuff back?

Congrats Essey!

Wonderful news about the burrito and awesome news on the Green Card. Spreadsheet is duly updated.

OC_EMS, how you travelling?

Ha! told you I was sticking around here. lol

Greetings from Elko NV.
Set out from the bay area this am. Have got about 3 1/2 hours to Park City UT then will relax for a day before the 5 hour drive to Vail. I think in total about 16 hours. Not usually a big drive for me but still rather tired from all the going ons.
NV driving is as boring as bat shit but Im boogying away to my tunes flying along in my little subaru. If I get done for speeding Im going to tell them I got confused with Kph and mph:cool:
Life is feeling pretty darn good! AND it will feel even better when I get my arse to bed!
Toodles for now.

Thanks for thinking of me Emily:D

Picture 7.png

Congrats! :D :D See you in LA!! (as long as we get approved :p )
Planning on doing an activation trip as soon as I get my passport back, then second week of Feb for good!

Such a crazy experience, after being selected and missing out last year then finally getting to this point, it's still sinking in!
Crazy experience..........hay Im with you there. I still cant believe it after all these years. Im just glad I have athletic genes and still young enough to do what I want to. Id hate to come here get old in a year or 2 and then get sick and die. lol THAT would suck the big cucumber!:rolleyes: