• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 KENYA SELECTEES FORUM

About this medical insurance. I beg to ask.
1. Does the obama care apply to LPRs
2. The feb 12th deadline does it apply to us or is it possible to apply before travel or do the exceptions apply.
3. Can u throw some light on medicaid and when does it apply.
4. About drugs, did you say I need a medical prescription for a pain reliever? Aren't they sold in supermarkets.
Thx otherwise.

About this medical insurance. I beg to ask.
1. Does the obama care apply to LPRs
2. The feb 12th deadline does it apply to us or is it possible to apply before travel or do the exceptions apply.
3. Can u throw some light on medicaid and when does it apply.
4. About drugs, did you say I need a medical prescription for a pain reliever? Aren't they sold in supermarkets.
Thx otherwise.

1. Yes
2. It applies, but arriving in the USA will allow you to apply for insurance whenever you land. It is not clear to me how soon you "need" to apply to avoid the fines.
3. Medicaid (and CHIP for kids) provides coverage for low income families. You really should not be planning to take advantage of it because you should be planning to exceed the income limits. However, if you find that you don't earn much and you have a large family you will get either subsidies on ACA insurance or help such as medicaid. The exact amounts are difficult to predict because it varies on family size and so on. More info here. https://www.healthcare.gov/qualifying-for-lower-costs-chart/
4. Basic pain relievers are sold over the counter (i.e. no prescription needed). Stronger pain relievers and antibiotics will need a prescription - and rightly so. The misuse of antibiotics in parts of the world is a very serious issue (and apparently not well understood by too many people).

1. Yes
2. It applies, but arriving in the USA will allow you to apply for insurance whenever you land. It is not clear to me how soon you "need" to apply to avoid the fines.
3. Medicaid (and CHIP for kids) provides coverage for low income families. You really should not be planning to take advantage of it because you should be planning to exceed the income limits. However, if you find that you don't earn much and you have a large family you will get either subsidies on ACA insurance or help such as medicaid. The exact amounts are difficult to predict because it varies on family size and so on. More info here. https://www.healthcare.gov/qualifying-for-lower-costs-chart/
4. Basic pain relievers are sold over the counter (i.e. no prescription needed). Stronger pain relievers and antibiotics will need a prescription - and rightly so. The misuse of antibiotics in parts of the world is a very serious issue (and apparently not well understood by too many people).
Thanks @Brit. That was helpful.

Got this from Matina on Facebook
IMPORTANT INFORMATION-SELECTIVE SERVICE: DS-1810
***You must register within 30 days after you enter the USA. Also, please pay close attention to paragraphs two (2) and three (3) below:
If you are a man and are between 18 and 26 years old when you enter the United States, you must register with the U.S. Selective Service...
System within 30 days after you enter the United States. If you are required to register, do so promptly. You cannot register after you reach
age 26. Registration is for conscription into military service in an emergency mobilization of the armed forces. There is no conscription at
this time.
To register, go to the nearest United States Post Office, obtain a registration form, fill in the information requested and hand the completed
form to the postal clerk. Within 90 days you should receive a Registration Acknowledgement postcard form the Selective Service. If you do
not hear from Selective Service within this period, it is important that you contact Selective Service to verify your registration status. You
may use the telephone number below for this purpose.
Failure to register with the Selective Service System is a serious crime in the United States, punishable by imprisonment for up to 5 years and
a fine of not more than $250,000. In addition, you may be denied employment with the Federal Government and you may be denied financial aid for college education, and job training benefits. You may also be denied U.S. citizenship if you later apply for naturalization.
****The CO will give you a duplicate copy at the time of the interview*******

Got this from Matina on Facebook
IMPORTANT INFORMATION-SELECTIVE SERVICE: DS-1810
***You must register within 30 days after you enter the USA. Also, please pay close attention to paragraphs two (2) and three (3) below:
If you are a man and are between 18 and 26 years old when you enter the United States, you must register with the U.S. Selective Service...
System within 30 days after you enter the United States. If you are required to register, do so promptly. You cannot register after you reach
age 26. Registration is for conscription into military service in an emergency mobilization of the armed forces. There is no conscription at
this time.
To register, go to the nearest United States Post Office, obtain a registration form, fill in the information requested and hand the completed
form to the postal clerk.
Within 90 days you should receive a Registration Acknowledgement postcard form the Selective Service. If you do
not hear from Selective Service within this period, it is important that you contact Selective Service to verify your registration status. You
may use the telephone number below for this purpose.
Failure to register with the Selective Service System is a serious crime in the United States, punishable by imprisonment for up to 5 years and
a fine of not more than $250,000. In addition, you may be denied employment with the Federal Government and you may be denied financial aid for college education, and job training benefits. You may also be denied U.S. citizenship if you later apply for naturalization.
****The CO will give you a duplicate copy at the time of the interview*******

Registration can be done online, one does not need to go to the post office to register. Here's a direct link to the Selective Service System for people to read and educate themselves so as not to be mislead:

https://www.sss.gov/default.htm

This week ? No idea.

I knew of the batch that had interviews last week, and yesterday.

I know of a few in February and a few in January.

Cant recall names, but have them on whatsapp group.

Know of a few selectees between 35K and 45K in the whatsapp group , you should be in their batch.

@manyash can you please post your contact on my profile.
@DADA its okey,are you ok now

How longer should I wait for my green card.Which body processes green cards and if I were to contact them how do I go about it.I didn't want to book my drivers license without it even though optional...

Last edited:
How longer should I wait for my green card.Which body processes green cards and if I were to contact them how do I go about it.I didn't want to book my drivers license without it even though optional...

As you say - you don't need it for the drivers license. You actually don't need it for anything as you already have the I551 stamped in your passport. However there is a thread about how to go about checking on card production.

http://forums.immigration.com/threads/tracking-gc-delivery-via-uscis-elis.317222/page-4#post-2379568

Texas service centre does them. You need to call USCIS or make an infopass appointment.
What does your elis account say - still on accepted, or changed to optimized?

So, then you just need a little patience. 1-2 months is normal.
Thanks.I just received this email from USCIS I can't recall what the actual draft was all about although the little I remember it was about account updates and some scanning of documents...However this never delayed my SSN.This is the email that I received
"December 25, 2014
Draft Case Expired Notification
According to our records, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) previously notified you that your draft application/petition for would be automatically cancelled if not completed and submitted within 30 calendar days of 11/24/2014. Unfortunately, the time to complete and submit your application/petition has expired.
Therefore, the application/petition you started on 11/24/2014 has been deleted. As a result, you can no longer view or access your draft application/petition. If you wish to continue to seek this benefit from USCIS, you will need to start a new application/petition.

If you have any questions, please contact customer service at (800) 375-5283 or (800) 767-1833 (TTY) for assistance.

Please DO NOT reply to this message"
After the request for scanning of documents,its when I suspected I might have strayed in a different petition category...the account is still on optimized without the warning of incomplete draft after the lapse of the 30 days

Thanks.I just received this email from USCIS I can't recall what the actual draft was all about although the little I remember it was about account updates and some scanning of documents...However this never delayed my SSN.This is the email that I received
"December 25, 2014
Draft Case Expired Notification
According to our records, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) previously notified you that your draft application/petition for would be automatically cancelled if not completed and submitted within 30 calendar days of 11/24/2014. Unfortunately, the time to complete and submit your application/petition has expired.
Therefore, the application/petition you started on 11/24/2014 has been deleted. As a result, you can no longer view or access your draft application/petition. If you wish to continue to seek this benefit from USCIS, you will need to start a new application/petition.

If you have any questions, please contact customer service at (800) 375-5283 or (800) 767-1833 (TTY) for assistance.

Please DO NOT reply to this message"
After the request for scanning of documents,its when I suspected I might have strayed in a different petition category...the account is still on optimized without the warning of incomplete draft after the lapse of the 30 days

I have no idea what any of that means... You definitely need to talk to someone at USCIS.