• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 KENYA SELECTEES FORUM

Now since @Nayfara is coming over before year ends-I have some few questions to ask.

TAX RETURNS-How is she going to fill her tax returns if he gets the SSN (do you have a family)?
TAX CLAIM-If she has family members back at home( to join her later on and doesn't have a job yet)?
For my case @Simon what advise can I get since am now working and the rest of my family is back at home(kenya)-what kind of claim should make9myself alone or even families)
About Insurance-At workplace -am being asked to take an insurance cove,should I take for me alone and later on add my family or can my family members take a different insurance plan.? @Britsimon @SusieQQQ @mom and all members. I also heard that claims can go as high as $10,000 for a family of 4 is it true?.
the tax returns are to ne filled by the company that i will work for...(like here in kenya its deducted from salo befor you get it also applys to insurance.....)

am on my own .....dont have anyone following me at a latter date....
plus its important that you ask for advice from others who are working thea or go.see the accountant or the payroll guys for advice...or even the hr.........thats the best advice you will get coz again it depends on the company.......
but sine i dont have a ssn i cant file any taxes unless am mad.....coz i might be deported...

the tax returns are to ne filled by the company that i will work for...(like here in kenya its deducted from salo befor you get it also applys to insurance.....)

am on my own .....dont have anyone following me at a latter date....
plus its important that you ask for advice from others who are working thea or go.see the accountant or the payroll guys for advice...or even the hr.........thats the best advice you will get coz again it depends on the company.......
but sine i dont have a ssn i cant file any taxes unless am mad.....coz i might be deported...

Not quite! Employers do not typically file tax returns for their employees. The tax deductions the employer takes from your pay check is not what is meant by filing a tax return. This is something you do on your own on a yearly basis.

@Sm1smom back in the 2013 forum you had contributed about health covers. Just a follow up question to maybe understand better is it possible to get coverage before arriving and how good are those covers... For example purposes let me attch a quote i had received. @Britsimon is this wise to get coverage before arrival?

Attachments

• Compare visitor and travel medical insurance all three.pdf
    211.3 KB · Views: 10
Was current in Nov. posted ds 260 late and kept re-opening it. Not in a hurry at all. Have massive house keeping to do-just in case i get the visa. Will even delay travel to the very last opportunity.

Please clarify, if I reopen ds 260 will it delay my 2nl but still guarantee the interview much later? Coz I have a lot of house keeping too...

@Sm1smom back in the 2013 forum you had contributed about health covers. Just a follow up question to maybe understand better is it possible to get coverage before arriving and how good are those covers... For example purposes let me attch a quote i had received. @Britsimon is this wise to get coverage before arrival?

If you are coming for a temporary visit then these temporary coverages can be ok. However if you are coming here to live then you are required to get ACA (Obamacare) approved insurance, so in that case don't bother getting the temporary cover.

If you are coming for a temporary visit then these temporary coverages can be ok. However if you are coming here to live then you are required to get ACA (Obamacare) approved insurance, so in that case don't bother getting the temporary cover.

@shorrie, I believe Simon has accurately answered your question.

thanks @Britsimon , @Sm1smom for your prompt response. My concern is for a person who has kids and not having coverage and having to visit hospital is nightmarish.... was wondering if one can take the temp insurance before settling and getting ACA.... your two cents will be highly appreciated...

thanx......... i will keep you posted kwanza on the things to carry and not to carry when flying assuming its someones first time.......... am also learning along the way and ill give details as i move on........
wish all the best...

Thankyou, all the best to you too.

thanks @Britsimon , @Sm1smom for your prompt response. My concern is for a person who has kids and not having coverage and having to visit hospital is nightmarish.... was wondering if one can take the temp insurance before settling and getting ACA.... your two cents will be highly appreciated...

Having the temp cover won't invalidate the ACA cover or vice versa. But having the temp cover does not meet the requirement to have ACA insurance. You should also be aware that using the temporary insurance is likely to be more troublesome because it is not going to be widely recognized or accepted - so you would have to pay the bills directly and then apply for reimbursement from the insurers.

I hear what you are saying but - "didn't bother to read the page" is probably not a very solid defense for something as important as this. I've seen a number of people who said they could not complete submission of the DS260 without checking a box as to this so don't know about the person who says he never came across it - are you sure he is of the correct age for selective service? It is not automatic for all applications, only those with males 18-26 years.

Am afraid I can't say I'm sure, because I have just conveyed what they told me. And they told me they are aged between 18 and 26.

Having the temp cover won't invalidate the ACA cover or vice versa. But having the temp cover does not meet the requirement to have ACA insurance. You should also be aware that using the temporary insurance is likely to be more troublesome because it is not going to be widely recognized or accepted - so you would have to pay the bills directly and then apply for reimbursement from the insurers.

This health insurance issue appears to me like the only major failure of the first world the US is. A third world country like Kenya seems to have more affordable health plans across the wealth classes. Majority of our citizens if willing can afford the universal health cover under NHIF.
Having said this, its upon the immigrants to prepare themselves for adequate health cover in the US. I believe the other benefits of relocating to States far outweigh the seemingly terrible health plans they have.
I have today read through @Britsimon links on available health plans and must admit that health services appear extremely costly in the States especially for those not covered through the employer. we must at the onset bear this in mind get prepared. To be forewarned (informed) is to be forearmed.

This health insurance issue appears to me like the only major failure of the first world the US is. A third world country like Kenya seems to have more affordable health plans across the wealth classes. Majority of our citizens if willing can afford the universal health cover under NHIF.
Having said this, its upon the immigrants to prepare themselves for adequate health cover in the US. I believe the other benefits of relocating to States far outweigh the seemingly terrible health plans they have.
I have today read through @Britsimon links on available health plans and must admit that health services appear extremely costly in the States especially for those not covered through the employer. we must at the onset bear this in mind get prepared. To be forewarned (informed) is to be forearmed.

Yes you are right- Healthcare costs here are crazy. The general public don't even know how crazy the costs are. Procedures that might cost a few hundred dollars in other countries cost thousands of dollars here - that price is kept artificially high by the Health providers, who then set the price of Health Insurance based on their own inflated prices. It's shameful - but as you say - at least you know that up front...

hallo folks if I have not paid for the greencard fee in Kenya the 165$ fee .... How and where can I pay the fee in America?

Mmmh 7-2 weeks...lol Simon working on reverse
7 days to 2 weeks ;correct.We traveled the same day (i.e nov 201-21st) with other two dv 2014
1. man and wife-headed to Texas-their SSN came in 10 days and green card in 20 days
2.I received mine SSN in 10 days green card not yet
3.The other gentleman is yet to receive both.He said there was an omission of a letter in one of his name...
Anything can happen-always give room to accommodate for the unforeseen ...

@Britsimon forgive for going on and on about this health plan issu. But i found this:
3. New immigrant / very recently got the green card:
If you have recently got the green card, and will be in coming to the USA soon, you can consider a short-term heatlh insurance for immigrants plan that provides temporary coverage while you travel and settle down in the US. Some of the choices include: Inbound Immigrant, Liaison Majestic, Patriot America etc. To get quotes for temporary short term insurance visit immigrants insurance.

My challenge is that the ACA needs you to put an income and since as a new immigrant you have none and cannot claim medicare is it it wise to get the temp covers? Just asking