GC about to expire, travel abroad and return before GC expires

High5

Registered Users (C)
Hi.

I have a 10 year GC which is about to expire in March. I'm planning to travel abroad in Feb and return back before my GC expires. I'm planning to file for GC renewal after I return back. I was wondering if there are any issues with it. I could file for GC renewal right now but I'm worried that Biometric appointment might come in before I return back. I will appreciate if you could share your thoughts or experience.

Thanks.

If you file right now, your biometrics appointment should be before February. Even if the appointment date is in Feb, you will almost surely get the notice before February, which you can use to do an early walk-in if the appointment date is after your departure date.

If you file right now, your biometrics appointment should be before February. Even if the appointment date is in Feb, you will almost surely get the notice before February, which you can use to do an early walk-in if the appointment date is after your departure date.
If I had to do a early walk-in, do I need to take an appoitment for the early walk-in and is it at Biometric location in Boston or is it at some other location?

Thanks.

You don't make an appointment for a walk-in; you literally just walk in!

You can do it at any USCIS location which handles biometrics, but walk-ins are not guaranteed ... you'll have a better chance of being accepted if you go to the same location listed on your appointment notice. When you go there, simply hand the officer your appointment notice and act as if nothing is wrong; don't say anything about the date difference unless they bring it up.