I-485 AOS Interview for parents

lk1508

Registered Users (C)
We received the letter scheduling my parents interview in December. My mom's fingerprints were too light and after the second FP appointment, the USCIS officer told us that we would receive a letter about the further course of action.
Subsequently we received the letter scheduling their I-485 interview. The interview letter list a list of all the documents that we need to bring. Most of them are the ones that we sent along with the I-485 package but I will be taking the originals for the interview.

I was expecting USCIS to specify Police Clearance Certificate in the list of documents because my mom's FP were rejected twice. However they have not asked for it.

I would really appreciate if I could get some feedback about the type of questions USCIS asks for I-485 interview for parents. In case any of you have had experience with FP being rejected, were you asked for the Police Clearance Certificate in the I-485 interview letter.

There is nothing to worry about here! :rolleyes:This is a standard operating procedures, you send copies to USCIS. So, just bring some additional copies and originals for the interview. The interview is to assess the validity or genuineness of the marriage, which is odd, but that's NOT for you to worry about. Research on this site on how to prepare for I-485 interview, this website is a superb resources. So, I am NOT going to deny YOU the opportunity to LEARN by giving you information. ;);)Once you read through it and have specific questions, we will be happy to help you! It will be a lot easier for you prepare your parents for the interview once you've internalized and understand all the intricacies involved in this situation.:D:D

My parents had their interview today and their I-485 status changed to Card Production.

My mom's fingerprints were too light and so during the 2nd FP appointment, the USCIS agent told us that we will be notified what we need to do. We were a little tense at that time. Then a month after the FP appointment, we received interview letters for both my mother and father. However in the document checklist, they never specified that we need to get a Police Clearance letter for my mom. Based on some of the experiences that I had read earlier, I got a Police Clearance letter for her.

Today when we went for the interview, after the swearing-in, one of the first things the IO said was that a clearance letter will be required because of the FP issue for my mom. I handed her the Clearance letter and she said she would need to verify if it was enough to just get it from the US city Police or whether a Police Clearance letter was required from the city in India where my parents resided before coming to USA 6 months back. After confirming, the IO said instead of the Police Clearance letter from India, she would ask my mom the regular background-related questions like whether she was ever arrested, detained etc and then have my mom sign on the form along with the signature of another USCIS officer as witness.
Other than that, the IO went thru the I-130 and I-485 forms and reviewed all the information in detail and asked questions from the form.
She told us that she will need to submit the extra set of background questions for my mom so that it can be approved and we should get the card in 2 weeks.
Within a few hours the case status changed to Card Production.
In short, my mom's FP issue turned out to be a boon in disguise because they were called for the interview and the case got approved in a little more than 4 months :)