Name Not Found in SSA Database. Can not Get a New SSN

dioode

Hi all, I was looking for this sort of experience for some times because I am also facing the same issue nowadays. Its been 2 months I came to US and I have not still got my Green Card.

I called the Home Land Security Customer Services Number after 1 month of my arrival. They told me that there had been a card failure (Did not know what the heck is that). And he made a request on the system (Do not know what system) to post my card as soon as possible.

During the 3rd time I called them, I told them that, I can not afford to live here with out a job, I can not get a job because I do not have a SSN or ant legal document to provide. They told me that it is not necessary to have a green card to get the SSN. SO I went to the SSA office close to me and met with an agent. My name was somewhat long and it did not match the lengths of the edit fields of their system. She tried my name 2 times on the system and told me that she is going to do it later. She got a photocopy of my passport and my birth certificate.

Mean time I got a letter from USCIS regarding the request I made in my 1st call to them. It says the same thing what the agent told me over the phone (There was a card failure and bla bla bla). Out of curiosity, The name generated in the sent mail was quite different form what I provided in my applications when I was applying for the green card (Its the same name but some words are missing and truncated).

Then where was a 1 week gap to see what would happen. and I again went to the office. They have done nothing. They took me as a new one and again tried to check my name again. They could not find it either. Then I game them the letter which had a different name to see if this works. But it did not work either. I asked them to use my alien number to fetch my records. They told me that they can not use my alien number on the system (There was no such field) Now I know that there is some change in my name (May be a truncation) in the system. Then I went the the USCIS office and ask them (They told me to change my name which I ignored after visiting the state court, because it is going to be one hell because that will change everything)

I was hoping to go to the USCIS again and get a report generated out of my information in their system and provide it to the SSA to see what they would do. But when I called USCIS and ask them about my name and all, He told me that I have to make a appointment.(Which is 3 weeks away).

Can you guys tell me whats going on because none of the people in SSA nor immigration people do not know how to act on this scenario. They just say what comes to their heads out of the blue. How should I act to get a SSN as soon as possible.

Thanks

Hey Britsimon. You are always here to help :). Thanks :D

Both places act like they do not know how to resolve this issue. I went the the SSA 2 times. and USCIS 1 time. First time at SSA I submitted an application for a new SSN, the agent could not find my name on the system. She took a photo copy of my passport and the next time I went there, She had not done anything about it, she just had thrown it away, I had to fill a new application and this time also they could not fetch my records.

But when I called the USCIS they fetched the records of mine using my Alien number and its there. After the second visit to SSA they told me to go to USCIS and ask them about this. So I went and asked them. They told me that that has nothing to do with them and its up to SSA to resolve this issue.

Some suggested to change my name (shorten it)- But I do not think that can do any better at this point.

When I was digging on this issue, I found that there is some connection to the Customs Protection (CMP I guess) because SSA was accessing the SAVE database to fetch my data form the system. It is up to them (CMP) to make any corrections of my name if there is any to resolve this issue (They can fix my name in place).

But I am not sure if it is my name length or if it is my name spelling mistakes (if any) causing this problem. I am trying to get more understanding on this issue. because the people who work in these offices do not care or no not know how to proceed. I am fed up with these issues. :)