Is Only I-130 Needed to Petition Parents Oversea?

XtremeCold

Registered Users (C)
I just got my citizenship and I am preparing the applications needed to petition Green Card for my parents in Vietnam.
My income is surely higher than 125% the poverty line for the family of 4 (myself, my spouse, plus my parents, which are to be petitioned).

So is the form I-130 the only form I need to file to each of them?
What about the I-485 and I-864? I know the titles of these forms but I guess I do not understand them completely.

Yes, if they are applying from outside the U.S., I-130 is the only form you need to file at first.

After the I-130 is approved, they will send you more stuff and at that point you will need to provide I-864 and your parents will go through Consular Processing at the U.S. consulate in their home country.

You will not use I-485. I-485 is to apply for Adjustment of Status, which is the process for applying for a green card while in the U.S. It's a completely different process.

Thank you newacct for taking time to explain it :) I understand it now. You just saved me $1000 for not having to go through a service for this kind of paperwork.