• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Oceania winners

Awesome news from EMS and Aim!!!

An anti climax is exactly what it should be like and whilst it might be tempting to just wing it, it is important that you feel confident which the preparation will ensure.

Loved the Oscar speech EMs and yeah, give me a shout when you come for the car.

Yeah, an Oscar speech indeed from EMs! A great one actually :)

Ok, so I just got up (the time is 4.41am here) to check on @OC_EMS. And I got the best news I could have gotten! Yay dear friend - YOU DID IT! I have updated our spreadsheet to reflect that you are US BOUND!

Both you and @AimLK prove that you can get through on work experience - if you are prepared to defend your position. That's inspiration right there for anyone using the work experience route.

And just because I am a Kristen Wiig fan and I'm trying not to wake the husband with my whoops, Imma leave this here for both of you.

tumblr_inline_nbsj3qEQ4P1qc5l3n.gif

Last edited:
Congratulations AimLK and EMS, what fantastic news. I am so so happy for you guys. You had a little more nerves to contend with than people with school requirements so you truly deserve to Celebrate in style !! woohoo.

Our house is all but empty and we fly to Toronto in 11 days :)
its just occurred to me, we are Doing Christmas in USA, I am worried about arriving as I submitted my DS 260 ages ago, before I even found this forum and realised that not everyone gets an interview * blushes in embarrassment at my ignorance*.
I have next to no chance of actually getting an interview, but I hope we don't get held up in customs with 3 young (tired) kids !!

EMS, great news, great speech! I'm thrilled for you, congratulations!!

I phoned KCC this morning and spoke to Mary who was lovely. She said our DS-260 forms were very close to being processed but didn't make it in time for Jan interview. She said to call back in 20 Dec or wait for email. At least I know so I can stop stressing about it and keep working on our preparations incl getting rid of out stuff! Thanks everyone for your support, I hope lots more from the class of DV2015 get through!

Oh and I pressed '0' straight away this time, thanks Simon!!

its just occurred to me, we are Doing Christmas in USA, I am worried about arriving as I submitted my DS 260 ages ago, before I even found this forum and realised that not everyone gets an interview * blushes in embarrassment at my ignorance*.
I have next to no chance of actually getting an interview, but I hope we don't get held up in customs with 3 young (tired) kids !!

I assume you are using the visa waiver program - that should not be an issue - they don't ask a lot of questions other than why are you here, work or pleasure?

Thank goodness @OC_EMS I am so pleased for you!! I checked the forum a few times during the night like Emily- I was worried about you!! You must have been so tired from the lack of night sleep before and the stress of the day. Sounds like you got grilled compared to us, glad you stood your ground with confidence (the key!). Excellent result and well deserved!

Yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!
Very happy for you blondie!:D;)

Congrats!!!! So glad everything went well for you!! :D

I hope all your preparation for the move goes smoothly as well :)
We definitely need an "OC2105-where are they now?" thread/FB group to keep in contact once the year is over haha! I imagine we will still all have invaluable advice as we settle down into our new lives :)

A good OC week and I've got a new wave of excitement all over again despite not being current yet!
I noticed today the Aussie dollar has dropped a bit (85cents now) and I'm considering moving a chunk of savings across to USD. Has anyone else done this yet or have any suggestions for the easiest, most efficient, most cost effective method? Thanks!

A good OC week and I've got a new wave of excitement all over again despite not being current yet!
I noticed today the Aussie dollar has dropped a bit (85cents now) and I'm considering moving a chunk of savings across to USD. Has anyone else done this yet or have any suggestions for the easiest, most efficient, most cost effective method? Thanks!

Use Forex brokers!!!!

Thank goodness @OC_EMS I am so pleased for you!! I checked the forum a few times during the night like Emily- I was worried about you!! You must have been so tired from the lack of night sleep before and the stress of the day. Sounds like you got grilled compared to us, glad you stood your ground with confidence (the key!). Excellent result and well deserved!

Am so wrapped for you guys! Glad yours went smoothly.
Yeah a minor grill Id say. She certainly wasnt handing out green cards willy nilly yesterday. But on the grand scale of things and at the end of the day regardless of the obstacles and little challenges an excellent outcome.

BTW your little one is adorable! AND I thought very well behaved. I know its nerve wracking with kids but everyone understands that kids are kids.
Again congrats to you guys. I think all 3 of you will suite stetsons!

I entered the US a couple of times after I'd submitted the forms for the DV2014 process on a visa waiver. They didn't even mention it at customs so I wouldn't worry.

I'm not sure whether any successful DV lottery selectees from Africa or Europe are following this thread, but I'm looking to interview someone non-Australian for my newspaper column this weekend.

If you fit the bill - from a country other than Australia/New Zealand and have already moved to the U.S. - I'd love to talk to you. Let me know!

Use Forex brokers!!!!
Simon do they charge a fee?
Ive only ever transfered through Westpac bank (AU) up to $10.000. at a time, the bank charges me $20 and Chase (US) charges me $15 for receiving. Im about to close westpac and go with citi bank (AU) as the dont charge for overseas transfers and have no fees for normal banking.

Simon do they charge a fee?
Ive only ever transfered through Westpac bank (AU) up to $10.000. at a time, the bank charges me $20 and Chase (US) charges me $15 for receiving. Im about to close westpac and go with citi bank (AU) as the dont charge for overseas transfers and have no fees for normal banking.

When moving large amounts the wire receiving fees are less of an issue than the exchange rates they offer. So - check what rates Citi will apply. Even if they don't charge fees you can bet they make a pretty penny from the exchange rates (spread). I paid a couple of small fees to my forex broker (less than $30 I think) and my incoming wire was from a US bank (the Forex broker I used had that in place) so my US bank did not charge me to receive the money. However, I know I saved several thousand dollars (literally) in the spread.

I was going to ask the same question about moving some money. I go through a wholesaler through my dads company as they exchange money regularly. We have been watching it for a while, we still have a chunk of money sitting in our American bank accont that we bought at $1.06.

We should start a (closed) Facebook page so we can keep in touch.

Last edited: