• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

Hi Y'all. This is my first post, I've been reading the material on this forum for a week now. Thanks to all of you I know a lot more now.
My case # is AS3*** and hopefully will become current in February. I have been in the US for 3 years on F-1 visa and am currently living in Texas. I have a few questions:

1- The website for department of state (travel.state.gov) suggests a list of documents one should bring to the interview, including police records. However this was not listed on USCIS website. I am filing AOS application, so is it correct to assume that I won't need police record from either US or my country?

2- A student visa is (in my case) valid for 2 years. My visa is currently expired but I have maintained my student status valid and lawful. I have a valid I-20 right now. Is this OK?

3- I have used OPT EAD for one full year. That EAD expired in summer and I went back to school (actually new school). Do I need to include a copy of that EAD?

4- I have held on-campus jobs for the past 3 years. I have filed taxes. Do I really need to include a proof of tax return transactions in my package? What about pay stubs? I mean my question is that I am a student not someone who's working professionally. (I have half time graduate assistant appointment at school.)

5- I checked the spreadsheet. Thanks for all the info. But there are many documents listed there that are not listed on USCIS website to be included in the application package. Can I bring those to my interview?

Thanks

Not quite sure which part of the forum you've been focusing and reading materials on as most, if not all of your questions have been dealt with at one point or the other on the AOS thread. While its a good idea to familiarize yourself with the whole forum like you indicated you've done, it's a lot more useful and helpful to for processing AOS to focus more on the AOS threads (starting from the current one and going over the past threads too if time permits).

1. Those processing AOS are not required to submit a police report, however if you've ever been arrested or have a court record, that is required - the AOS spreadsheet has a list of the required documents for AOS.

2. The validity of your actual visa is irrelevant as it is simply a document that allows one to travel in and out of the U.S. What matters is the duration of stay allowed, so in your case that will be your I-20. If you haven't violated the terms of your admission and your I-20 hasn't expired, then yes, you're ok.

3. Yes you should

4. Pay stubs is no prove that you do not owe the IRS. Regardless of whether you're a student or a full time professional, if you've ever filed taxes you should include prove of tax returns.

4. You can either make your process easier and include the suggested documents with your package which should hopefully give the IO enough time to review them prior to meeting with you, or you take them to the interview and the IO gets to spend more time reviewing them following your interview which means more time is needed before a decision can be made. Your choice!

It means exactly what you already know, except the information isn't put together in anyway that can provide you with the correct guidance you need. It just means you need to include your DV NL with your I-485 package when your CN becomes current - everyone who has gone through the process know by now know that you cannot send your application directly to "the USCIS office nearest your place of residence in order to apply for adjustment of status" - the application has to be submitted through the Chicago Lockbox.

Thanks so much for the clarification, Sm1smom.

Hi All,

I am also in the same situation, did my bio on Oct 10th, as of today, Nov 21, have heard nothing about the interview letter. I have called KCC, and noticed that they do not get any request from my local USCIS office in terms of sending a file. Also, called USCIS customer service, have been told that my local office is busy and they will consider each case by the date of filling. I told the agent it is a DV case, and she said there is no difference between cases, and they will go by date of filling. Long story short, this waiting is so annoying. I jus got the infopass for first week of Dec, to see how it goes. :(

"This waiting is so annoying"
People can wait a decade or longer to become current on family preference 3 and 4 petitions.
I know of people who got green cards via H1B routes and took around 9 years.
Yes I know waiting is frustrating but you have landed yourself the easiest quickest way to get a green card (or any immigration right anywhere, probably). Keep some context.

Hi All,

I am also in the same situation, did my bio on Oct 10th, as of today, Nov 21, have heard nothing about the interview letter. I have called KCC, and noticed that they do not get any request from my local USCIS office in terms of sending a file. Also, called USCIS customer service, have been told that my local office is busy and they will consider each case by the date of filling. I told the agent it is a DV case, and she said there is no difference between cases, and they will go by date of filling. Long story short, this waiting is so annoying. I jus got the infopass for first week of Dec, to see how it goes. :(

I spoke to KCC earlier, they are experiencing a delay in getting the electronic file from KCC to USCIS, not unexpected given that this is the first year they are using the paperless system.

I spoke to KCC earlier, they are experiencing a delay in getting the electronic file from KCC to USCIS, not unexpected given that this is the first year they are using the paperless system.

Oh smashing.

Did they do anything right on this implementation. Maybe the form is supposed to be called the DS26...

Oh smashing.

Did they do anything right on this implementation. Maybe the form is supposed to be called the DS26...

I'm surprised that they didn't catch this in system testing but I've seen worse on IT projects I've been working on, the good news is they have gone from "we can't do anything" to "we are looking at manual ways" to get the files to USCIS, the supervisor was quietly optimistic they should have a workaround option in place before thanksgiving.

"This waiting is so annoying"
People can wait a decade or longer to become current on family preference 3 and 4 petitions.
I know of people who got green cards via H1B routes and took around 9 years.
Yes I know waiting is frustrating but you have landed yourself the easiest quickest way to get a green card (or any immigration right anywhere, probably). Keep some context.
Yes, I can definitely see your point. As I am on H1B and is going down that route as well, and have multiple friends who are in the process or had got rejected already, I know that is not an easy one. I understand that we can start from the I-485, which is a huge help. On the same token, in our cases the time has more relevance, since we have to be processed by September 30. And if we consider that they implemented the online DS260, which definitely had some setbacks, and all the turmoil going on in the politics with the immigration, with another government shutdown looming (I know USCIS is supposed to be self-funded by the application fees, however I am pretty sure this still would have an effect on them, considering that they are now the government agency that politicians are pointing fingers at) obviously we are getting more and more concerned.

.... On the same token, in our cases the time has more relevance, since we have to be processed by September 30. .... obviously we are getting more and more concerned.

Yes, I see your point, you oniy have another ten months and a bit to go. Lucky your number is not oniy going current in August 2015, huh, or indeed anything other than having gone current in the first month of the fiscal year. I guess everyone else is doomed.

Kcc answered that I will not receive anything from, they told me I have to observe the VB and take the confirmation page i got after submitted the ds-260 and the dv $330 receipt only.

They said no 2nd letter for AOS!

Kcc answered that I will not receive anything from, they told me I have to observe the VB and take the confirmation page i got after submitted the ds-260 and the dv $330 receipt only.

Not true you will eventually receive the 2NL..I too was told the same thing by KCC when I had called few months back - in fact the rep I spoke with did not seem to know much about the DV fee or the 2NL and I received mine a couple of weeks after speaking with them. Unless they have suddenly decided to stop issuing them which doesn't really make sense, so I think you will receive it at some point.

Yep, you wouldn't get a 2NL from KCC - that's what the phone reps say every year :D. Stop stressing yourself over nothing, you WILL get the email eventually :rolleyes:. You already have the AOS spreadsheets to guide you on what to do.

Hi Everyone,

First off, thanks to the moderator for the useful advise/guidance¡

To ask my question: Does anyone know the process for marriage after winning the DV lottery, for a selectee who is filing AOS and has a spouse living abroad¿ (please excuse the upside down puncuation marks, my hubby is a Spaniard and his electronics are programmed as such:).

I know the first step is to notify KCC by faxing a copy of the marriage certifucate asap and edit the DS230, however, would i need to submit all new forms with my new surname¿ Also are there any new forms that need to be submitted¿

Would it cause any issues doing the GC interview separately¿ (me in the USA under AOS and him in Spain under CP)¿ He worked here in the US last year under OPT however he's now on a one year work contract for the company's branch in Italy.

I know it's not possible for us to do the interview together here in the US but he's not eligible for AOS.

Thanks in advance¡

Hi Everyone,

First off, thanks to the moderator for the useful advise/guidance¡

To ask my question: Does anyone know the process for marriage after winning the DV lottery, for a selectee who is filing AOS and has a spouse living abroad¿ (please excuse the upside down puncuation marks, my hubby is a Spaniard and his electronics are programmed as such:).

I know the first step is to notify KCC by faxing a copy of the marriage certifucate asap and edit the DS230, however, would i need to submit all new forms with my new surname¿ Also are there any new forms that need to be submitted¿

Would it cause any issues doing the GC interview separately¿ (me in the USA under AOS and him in Spain under CP)¿ He worked here in the US last year under OPT however he's now on a one year work contract for the company's branch in Italy.

I know it's not possible for us to do the interview together here in the US but he's not eligible for AOS.

Thanks in advance¡

You can do the Follow to Join method which is basically you do AoS and then, once you case is approved he will have an embassy interview outside the USA. However, this is time consuming - so whilst it can be done, it depends on your case number. It is also going to raise more questions about your marriage than a normal FTJ process (which is unusual in the first place). So - to give you better advice:

What is your case number approximately.
Have you already submitted your DS260?
When did you or will you marry?
What visa are you on currently?

Thank you for the quick response. My case number is SA000003**. I have a very low number and am actually doing my biometrics tomorrow, so I'm well in the process. I am currently on the A2 visa. The DS260 was submitted in September, kind of late due to the 30-60-90 day rule because I left the USA. And my fiance and I are actually getting married this week¡¡¡

To be honest, we aren't really afraid of proving our relation and marriage as bona fide. We have been together more than 7 years and have pictures to prove, have been living together for the past 3 years (up until he left for work abroad three months ago), apartment lease together, joint bank account, pictures with each other family, etc.

We have put off getting married for a while, however, spending this time apart has made us realize that we really do want to get married sooner than later, buy a home, start a family, etc. For this reason I would like to get married before the interview as opposed to later, to avoid the 3 year wait.

I forgot to mention that his one year work contract in Italy will end in September next year as his employer will be applying for the H1b in April for his return to work in September. However, again, we really do wish to get married sooner than later. So if he is able to apply and receive his green card as my spouse now, that will save us from having to do all the paper work literally a few months down the road....which I'm sure our marriage will still be scrutinized even then.