• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 Winners Meet Here

You're going to lose one of these. If you enter the U.S to get your green card, and then you specifically go to Canada after that to take up permanent residence, I am pretty much 100% sure USCIS will view that as you having abandoned residency in the US. You need to decide which one you want.

Presumably you have a Canadian immigrant visa in your passport. What will you tell the cbp officer when you enter the US the first time on your US immigrant visa and he looks through your passport and sees the Canadian one there too?
thanks for your reply,

its very clear that US immigration when I arrive in US for the first time they will see both visas... I will have to tell them the truth, I came to US and in couple of months I will go in Canada to get PR and then decide which one im gonna keep it later.

Am I allowed to leave US and go to Canada and return within 12 months, its the same as going backhome...

thanks

When leaving the U.S. for Canada, you will not deal with the U.S. immigration/customs officers at the border, you will be attended to by the Canadian authorities so all you have to present there will be your Canadian PR visa and passport. You do not tell them you're a U.S. LPR unless asked.

Same thing when returning back to the U.S., you will be attended to by the U.S. Immigration/customs officials at the border so this time around you present your US LPR status evidence. You don't not present anything regarding your Canadian status or tell them you went to activate it unless asked.

Bear in mind though that at the end of the day, you will most likey loose one of these status due to the fact that you will not be able to meet the requirements of maintaining residency in both countries.

yes that true, but when I am returned from Canada to US and show Green Card, they will ask me when did you leave US because I entered in Canada through Canadian Customs only...

are you saying POE only by car, because once few years ago, as a visitor via airplane I traveled from uS to Canada, I was checked by US immigration and costumes before departure.

i know they have one border only if you travel by car.

thanks

Hi guys who can predict the cutoff number for September in the fiscal year 2015 compared to 81,100 for these year?can this number go higher or low regarding on the number of visas of which will be issued to the DV 2015

thanks for your reply,

its very clear that US immigration when I arrive in US for the first time they will see both visas... I will have to tell them the truth, I came to US and in couple of months I will go in Canada to get PR and then decide which one im gonna keep it later.

Am I allowed to leave US and go to Canada and return within 12 months, its the same as going backhome...

thanks

Well, if you read the stuff about maintaining residency it is about intent. They are very clear that the times are oniy a guide (subject to the one year maximum absence which deems you to automatically have abandoned residence without a re-entry permit) and that any time out of the country can be seen as abandoning residence if they think the intent is to do so. And I think it is pretty much a fait accompli that if you are leaving the US to take up the permanent residence of another country, that you will be deemed to have abandoned US residence. If you tell the CBP officer your plans on entry, I expect he will pretty much explain this to you. So you may have to decide before you actually get Canadian PR.

Thanks SusieQQQ. I can not stay there because i can not work as a doctor before i could get my license, that will force me to work in a low income job to support my self and my family snd if i did so, i will not have enough time to study as my friends told me. On the other hand, i have enough income and sufficient time to study while am working in KSA. What do you advise me to do?

I advise you to look into getting a re-entry permit which will allow you to stay out for two years, if it is granted - which will depend how you explain your reasons. Or decide how badly you want to live on the US if it's not granted. Many people have to take a step back when they first arrive, and with your training you may find you don't have to take a very low income job even if you can't practice as a doctor for a while.

Well, if you read the stuff about maintaining residency it is about intent. They are very clear that the times are oniy a guide (subject to the one year maximum absence which deems you to automatically have abandoned residence without a re-entry permit) and that any time out of the country can be seen as abandoning residence if they think the intent is to do so. And I think it is pretty much a fait accompli that if you are leaving the US to take up the permanent residence of another country, that you will be deemed to have abandoned US residence. If you tell the CBP officer your plans on entry, I expect he will pretty much explain this to you. So you may have to decide before you actually get Canadian PR.
thanks susie,

Im going to keep Canadian Residency for sure, even though I will regret for the rest of my life but I have to make a decision. My number will be current in January, Im thinking canceling the interview. I am choosing Canada because of their social and health care system. In US it is very tough

thanks for your reply,

thanks

There are certain things that will automatically mean you may have abandoned your USA permanent resident status. Establishing permanent residence in another country is the first on the list from USCIS.

Google Uscis maintaining-permanent-residence to read that as I can't post the link at the moment.

Guys , I have a little concern about my case number. It's AF 86xxx and as i see from the VB record for the DV 2014, the last CN selected for the interview was 81xxx. My point: is there any possibility that the specified number for visas(55,000) might runout before am being invited to the interview?

When leaving the U.S. for Canada, you will not deal with the U.S. immigration/customs officers at the border, you will be attended to by the Canadian authorities so all you have to present there will be your Canadian PR visa and passport. You do not tell them you're a U.S. LPR unless asked.

Same thing when returning back to the U.S., you will be attended to by the U.S. Immigration/customs officials at the border so this time around you present your US LPR status evidence. You don't not present anything regarding your Canadian status or tell them you went to activate it unless asked.

Bear in mind though that at the end of the day, you will most likey loose one of these status due to the fact that you will not be able to meet the requirements of maintaining residency in both countries.
Sounds like the classical story of the hunter-predator who, in pursuit of prey, came to a junction and decided to take both routes at once. Guess what happened to him?, am only joking.

There are certain things that will automatically mean you may have abandoned your USA permanent resident status. Establishing permanent residence in another country is the first on the list from USCIS.

Google Uscis maintaining-permanent-residence to read that as I can't post the link at the moment.
dear britsimon,

i am saying just for the first time route:
going in US get Green Card and go to Canada and live there.
or do you think its better to go in Canada first get PR and go to US

Please help for this Q:
Do you have documentation to establish that you have received vaccinations in accordance with U.S. law?

ok usken what to do please?
Its really hard for someone to tell you this way or that way. you just must weigh the two very fortunate options and make a choice. Those in us talk of starting at circumstancially more difficult situation. Indeed some who take low paying jobs have to input crazy working hours to pay the bills and this cycle maybe hard to break. I do not know about Canada.
Determined people together with those who have some form of cushion find it easier to achieve their dreams-with very hard work of course.Canadian weather......
Its also generally agreed that healthcare in usa is pricy.
This way , that way, now this, maybe that, I am not able to decide for you, wish I could

Please help for this Q:
Do you have documentation to establish that you have received vaccinations in accordance with U.S. law?
I answered NO. A message box popped up an I explained that I will comply as guided in the edv website , a few weeks to my interview.

Guys , I have a little concern about my case number. It's AF 86xxx and as i see from the VB record for the DV 2014, the last CN selected for the interview was 81xxx. My point: is there any possibility that the specified number for visas(55,000) might runout before am being invited to the interview?
Now now, this is a loong shot. Last year, I think the highest cn AF81100? am not sure but not beyond this.
You will see in earlier posts that Nigeria's absence will bring down last year's highest can by some margin.I am hopeful that you are in dv2016?

Please help for this Q:

This is not the time to worry about vaccination.When you are going to your medical exam, the specified hospital should provide you with the neccessary vaccinations according to the US law and you would receive a certificate of vaccination.

yes that true, but when I am returned from Canada to US and show Green Card, they will ask me when did you leave US because I entered in Canada through Canadian Customs only...

are you saying POE only by car, because once few years ago, as a visitor via airplane I traveled from uS to Canada, I was checked by US immigration and costumes before departure.

i know they have one border only if you travel by car.

thanks

If they ask about when you left, you tell them the truth, simple!

I lumped the the U.S. IO together with CBP officers in my earlier post which I shouldn't have done, so ma bad about that. Anyway even when flying to Canada from the U.S. AFAIK, the traveller does not go through an IO at the airport, but you get inspected by the CBP (customs and border patrol) officers and you're not required to present your GC to them.

Please help for this Q:

You should answer 'No' and you can provide additional information that you will get the required vaccination when you go for the medical exam before attending your interview.

Now now, this is a loong shot. Last year, I think the highest cn AF81100? am not sure but not beyond this.
You will see in earlier posts that Nigeria's absence will bring down last year's highest can by some margin.I am hopeful that you are in dv2016?

Unfortionately am not. I thought i can not apply for DV 2016 while i have a DV 2015 CN. Anyway, lets wait and see, hopefully there will not be dropped entries :)

Last edited: