Bringing Spouse to USA if I have a green card

Siddharth99

Hello,

First time posting and using this forum.
I am a green card holder and soon gonna marry .
I know the procedure to follow to bring wife to USA but wondering how long does the process take and should I be using a lawyer for this or just do it myself.

Thanks

Last edited:
You don't need a lawyer. Just file an I-130 petition and wait 1-2 years for the priority date to be current for the F2A category (spouse and minor children of permanent residents). And then your spouse can go through Consular Processing in the U.S. consulate in his/her home country.

Marrying a permanent resident is kind of the slowest situation for immigrating. If you and your spouse had married before you had gotten your green card, assuming you got it through a non-immediate-relative category, your spouse would now immediately be able to immigrate as your derivative beneficiary.

Marrying a permanent resident is kind of the slowest situation for immigrating. If you and your spouse had married before you had gotten your green card, assuming you got it through a non-immediate-relative category, ...
Also assuming the green card wasn't as a derivative, as derivatives can't bring their own derivatives.