TN Status - Can I buy rental properties?

kentor

Hi,

Am I allowed to own rental properties while being on a TN Status? It seems like rental properties would qualify as passive income. What exactly makes income passive vs active (can someone please provide a link where that is explain, especially for real estate)?

Thank you!

As long as you do not do any work for tehse units you would be fine, just like any other foreign owner.

You would need to hire a management firm to manage these. Or a handyman, if you only have a couple of units.

Thank you very much for your response. Can you please point me to the correct document where it says that owning a rental property is acceptable as long as the owner doesn't do any work on the property? Thanks again.

There is no "document". You have a TN, so you can not do work other than TN. Passive income is just that: passive.
Its the same as snowbirds, or anyone else who doesn't have green card or US citizenship.

Ok that seems a little bit strange that there isn't actual documentation. Would you happen to know how passive income is determined when it comes to real estate? Thank you.

That is a tax issue, see IRS.gov
But in immigration terms, it means income earned without working: investment income.

Feel free to consult with an immigration lawyer. he can sell you all the documentation you desire.