• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

DV 2015 AOS Only

The AoS is a series of steps that have to happen, starting with submission of your I-485 package.

According to the spreadsheet you have completed the biometrics, so the next thing is the interview itself. Your cases is moving nicely. So it makes sense to keep the infopass and ask them when they will schedule your interview - it could well be in November - and you should push for that to avoid it clashing with the December date.

There are two other things your case needs:
The FO to request your file from KCC (you can phone KCC to ask if/when that happened, if not bring that up at the infopass).
The other thing is the background check. When you go for the infopass you can check that they have the background check.

With regards to the FO requesting the file from KCC I have a question.

I was told by the FO they are waiting on our file(s) from KCC, after the conversation with the FO I called KCC and they told me that the FO has not requested the file. Seems to be a disconnect, any experience with who to "believe"?

With regards to the FO requesting the file from KCC I have a question.

I was told by the FO they are waiting on our file(s) from KCC, after the conversation with the FO I called KCC and they told me that the FO has not requested the file. Seems to be a disconnect, any experience with who to "believe"?

KCC have seemed very reliable on this matters in the past, the FOs have frequently screwed this up (in my humble opinion). If you are planning an infopass, check with KCC before the infopass whether the file has been requested/sent, and then at the infopass, try and get them to be on "your side" by "lightly blaming" KCC for not sending it. Say something like "Oh I don't DOUBT that this FO has requested the file, but maybe KCC made a mistake and ignored the request. Is it possible to ask them again, even though it is obviously KCC at fault??"

Actually that is a good tactic/demeanor when dealing with people. Get on their side, or get them on yours. Even in my AWFUL infopass experience on August 1st, that was 75 minutes of me telling the USCIS lady how to do her job, I left there without making her feel bad or angry - and she gave me a fastpass and even sent me a note directly a few days later when she found my appointment was scheduled. So she went out of her way to help me - and she could easily have taken a different approach with me (i.e. moved my case to the bottom of the pile).

I have a quick question for you guys. When I am comparing my case's timeline with other 2015 DV lottery cases that listed on the spreadsheet. I seems that mine is the slowest of all and it really gets on my nerves. I think that it might be related to the specific officer who is responsible for my cases. He/she might be much slower than the others. Do you think that I can do anything just to expedite that? I can also ask my attorney to follow it up or send an email to USCIS and ask them to expedite the case. Considering my bio location being in Charleston WV and my interview in Norfolk VA (which are less busy than other FOs) I thought that it should be a really fast procedure. Am I wrong?
P.S. I received NOA on Ocotber 24th while I filed on October 2nd.

I have a quick question for you guys. When I am comparing my case's timeline with other 2015 DV lottery cases that listed on the spreadsheet. I seems that mine is the slowest of all and it really gets on my nerves. I think that it might be related to the specific officer who is responsible for my cases. He/she might be much slower than the others. Do you think that I can do anything just to expedite that? I can also ask my attorney to follow it up or send an email to USCIS and ask them to expedite the case. Considering my bio location being in Charleston WV and my interview in Norfolk VA (which are less busy than other FOs) I thought that it should be a really fast procedure. Am I wrong?

At 22 days from filing to NOA it isn't horribly bad, and the NOA was only 5 days ago, so it isn't surprising if you haven't heard about a bio or anything else. So - is it getting or your nerves "just because" or is there a deadline you are worried about?

At 22 days from filing to NOA it isn't horribly bad, and the NOA was only 5 days ago, so it isn't surprising if you haven't heard about a bio or anything else. So - is it getting or your nerves "just because" or is there a deadline you are worried about?
Simon, Thanks for answering :)
I don't think that there is a deadline, because both my husband and I have our F1 status till 2017. So, the restricting deadline would be end of FY 2015. Is asking for expedition something that people would do when they think that the procedure is not regularly processed? And do you think that Norfolk VA and Charleston WV are not that much busy to delay my case more than this?

KCC have seemed very reliable on this matters in the past, the FOs have frequently screwed this up (in my humble opinion). If you are planning an infopass, check with KCC before the infopass whether the file has been requested/sent, and then at the infopass, try and get them to be on "your side" by "lightly blaming" KCC for not sending it. Say something like "Oh I don't DOUBT that this FO has requested the file, but maybe KCC made a mistake and ignored the request. Is it possible to ask them again, even though it is obviously KCC at fault??"

Actually that is a good tactic/demeanor when dealing with people. Get on their side, or get them on yours. Even in my AWFUL infopass experience on August 1st, that was 75 minutes of me telling the USCIS lady how to do her job, I left there without making her feel bad or angry - and she gave me a fastpass and even sent me a note directly a few days later when she found my appointment was scheduled. So she went out of her way to help me - and she could easily have taken a different approach with me (i.e. moved my case to the bottom of the pile).

Thanks Britsimon,

Definitely good advice and something I'll keep in mind, I've had pretty good experiences to date with both the FO and KCC, the ones who I "struggle" with are the L2 staff on the USCIS line.

It all seems quite normal to me, what's the big rush? I would just be patient and not entertain any thought of a specific agent being slow, etc. The name of this game is patience, we are all in the same boat.

Simon, Thanks for answering :)
I don't think that there is a deadline, because both my husband and I have our F1 status till 2017. So, the restricting deadline would be end of FY 2015. Is asking for expedition something that people would do when they think that the procedure is not regularly processed? And do you think that Norfolk VA and Charleston WV are not that much busy to delay my case more than this?

I suppose my reaction is just to advise you to relax about it. Nothing has gone wrong, the timelines are not horribly abnormal. Really, nothing is going wrong.

You can ask for an expedite, but it didn't help in my case, and in any case the justification I was able to cite was a sunset concern. Since we are only 29 days into the year - you can't claim that to be an issue. So, I know its hard to not obsess about this. Really - I do. But honestly - your best course of action is just to wait a couple of weeks. If you haven't had the bio letter within 2 to 3 weeks from now, then maybe make an infopass - but honestly you are stressing yourself for no reason.

It all seems quite normal to me, what's the big rush? I would just be patient and not entertain any thought of a specific agent being slow, etc. The name of this game is patience, we are all in the same boat.
Thank you :) I will do my best to be patient. Hope all of us get our GCs as soon as possible.

I suppose my reaction is just to advise you to relax about it. Nothing has gone wrong, the timelines are not horribly abnormal. Really, nothing is going wrong.

You can ask for an expedite, but it didn't help in my case, and in any case the justification I was able to cite was a sunset concern. Since we are only 29 days into the year - you can't claim that to be an issue. So, I know its hard to not obsess about this. Really - I do. But honestly - your best course of action is just to wait a couple of weeks. If you haven't had the bio letter within 2 to 3 weeks from now, then maybe make an infopass - but honestly you are stressing yourself for no reason.
You are right Britsimon :) I will keep waiting for the bio letter and try not to stress myself. Thank you so much.

The AoS is a series of steps that have to happen, starting with submission of your I-485 package.

According to the spreadsheet you have completed the biometrics, so the next thing is the interview itself. Your cases is moving nicely. So it makes sense to keep the infopass and ask them when they will schedule your interview - it could well be in November - and you should push for that to avoid it clashing with the December date.

There are two other things your case needs:
The FO to request your file from KCC (you can phone KCC to ask if/when that happened, if not bring that up at the infopass).
The other thing is the background check. When you go for the infopass you can check that they have the background check.

Hey,
Good points.
I called KCC and they said my file had not been requested yet. They also said I need to go into the FO with the payment receipt and schedule the interview (I don't think they are actually right though).
While at the infopass, can I politely push the IO to request the file from KCC and maybe schedule the appointment?
Or ask them more specific questions about the case (like is everything okay so far, background check, picture, supporting docs, etc)?
I'm just wondering how helpful the IOs are. I understand that it is good tactics to point fingers at KCC.
Thanks!

Hey,
Good points.
I called KCC and they said my file had not been requested yet. They also said I need to go into the FO with the payment receipt and schedule the interview (I don't think they are actually right though).
While at the infopass, can I politely push the IO to request the file from KCC and maybe schedule the appointment?
Or ask them more specific questions about the case (like is everything okay so far, background check, picture, supporting docs, etc)?
I'm just wondering how helpful the IOs are. I understand that it is good tactics to point fingers at KCC.
Thanks!

You can ask questions and push for the appointment. The best question is, what is left to do that can hold up the scheduling of the appointment.

You will need the payment receipt at the interview itself.

Oh and I don't suggest blaming anyone automatically, but if you have to blame someone, blame the other department...

Hi everyone,

I think my number will be current sometime in January or February, so I have decided to pay the DV fee next week. Now this may sound like a stupid question, but since I don't trust the USPS (they've messed up so many times that I just can't trust them) can I include a UPS/FedEx prepaid envelope or does it have to be USPS?

Thanks in advance,
Armin

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

I think my number will be current sometime in January or February, so I have decided to pay the DV fee next week. Now this may sound like a stupid question, but since I don't trust the USPS (they've messed up so many times that I just can't trust them) can I include a UPS/FedEx prepaid envelope or does it have to be USPS?

Thanks in advance,
Armin

Complete waste of money, but if it makes you feel better then yes, you may do that.

You can ask questions and push for the appointment. The best question is, what is left to do that can hold up the scheduling of the appointment.

You will need the payment receipt at the interview itself.

Oh and I don't suggest blaming anyone automatically, but if you have to blame someone, blame the other department...
Makes sense. I am eager to see how helpful IOs are at a FO. I hope they will turn out to be friendly. Thanks again!

hi I submitted my ds260 can i picked uscis process can i change this with consular process 2nd question is can i go consular process in Canada i don't want to go my country for dv visa

Hi, I am a J-1 research scholar (on J-1 for ~2 years and it is expiring Feb 28, 2015, I can get 30 days grace period and stay until March 30th) with 2 year obligation, but I am getting my waiver for the 2-year rule these days, which disables me to renew my J-1. Also, my name was selected in DV2015 with CN: EU24XXX. I have a few questions and I would appreciate if any of the experts would answer.
I am expecting to be current in March or maybe February in an optimistic scenario, and file I-485 in early-January or early-February. Is filing an I-485 by itself sufficient for lawfully residing in US (before EAD/AP arrives)? As I got a waiver, I cannot renew my contract on J-1 visa, and I am not sure they would petition an H1-B for me. Does "residing this way" affect the decision(s) for EAC/AD or more importantly GC?
Is there ANY exceptional way to file I-485 earlier than the time CN is listed in the VB? Like a doctor's report or congressman/women's or judge's letter? Anything?
Thanks,

hi I submitted my ds260 can i picked uscis process can i change this with consular process 2nd question is can i go consular process in Canada i don't want to go my country for dv visa

Yes you can change to CP, however if you plan on doing that, you need to contact KCC as soon as possible so that they can prepare your case file and send it to the applicable embassy without much delay.

You may be able to process CP from Canada, I've heard of one or two U.S. based DV selectees who did consular processing via Canada - however I don't know their full stories, or how hard or easy it was for them to do that. I don't know if they had any kind of connection to Canada prior to their selection. But I do know that a requirement for using a particular embassy is that one needs to be a resident of the applicable country. So if you decide to use Canada, be sure to do your homework thoroughly before contacting KCC and requesting the change.

By the way, what is your CN and what is your current status in the US?

Hi, I am a J-1 research scholar (on J-1 for ~2 years and it is expiring Feb 28, 2015, I can get 30 days grace period and stay until March 30th) with 2 year obligation, but I am getting my waiver for the 2-year rule these days, which disables me to renew my J-1. Also, my name was selected in DV2015 with CN: EU24XXX. I have a few questions and I would appreciate if any of the experts would answer.
I am expecting to be current in March or maybe February in an optimistic scenario, and file I-485 in early-January or early-February. Is filing an I-485 by itself sufficient for lawfully residing in US (before EAD/AP arrives)? As I got a waiver, I cannot renew my contract on J-1 visa, and I am not sure they would petition an H1-B for me. Does "residing this way" affect the decision(s) for EAC/AD or more importantly GC?
Is there ANY exceptional way to file I-485 earlier than the time CN is listed in the VB? Like a doctor's report or congressman/women's or judge's letter? Anything?
Thanks,

- Once the I-485 is officially accepted by USCIS - evidenced by the issuance of a NOA, you're considered to be in status even if your current visa status expires prior to your interview - as long as the package is accepted before the expiration.

- There is no exceptional way to file prior to one's case number being current. Allowance has already been made for early filing with regards to the Aug 2013 Memo that's been referenced several times on this and last year's thread which allows an applicant to file upon 2 months early as long as the current VB indicates the CN as being below the cutoff number listed on the bulletin.

Regardless of the early filing allowance based on that memo though, it's still possible for USCIS to reject or return a petition that is filed one or two months early - this is something anyone with an expiring status needs to be aware of as they may be out of status by the time the package is returned which means they will not be able to file the petition and process AOS again.

My current status f1 but i hove done out of campus work1.5yrs i left 2 yrs ago i paid taxes i transffered another school in 3 monts ago thats why i wanna do cp