• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

is dv 2016 photo valid?

From what I've heard, cell phone pictures are accepted if the quality is good, 600*600 in front of a white background and with the shoulder/face-no jewleries

Ther is nothing wrong with a good quality cell phone picture - the US Embassy Nairobi don't know what they are talking about.

Indeed, many cellphones these days take better pictures than digital cameras did a few years ago ...and i and others had winning entries on those old digital cameras :D

And of course the iPhone has the option of taking a square photo which makes the DV photo specs easier to get to, to start with.

Is it ok to have small diamond like earrings in the photo?
I did not find any mention of that in the "requirements". One of the previous post mentioned "no jewelry".

Indeed, many cellphones these days take better pictures than digital cameras did a few years ago ...and i and others had winning entries on those old digital cameras :D

And of course the iPhone has the option of taking a square photo which makes the DV photo specs easier to get to, to start with.

They won't accept low res photos, but as you say, cell phones these days are pretty good.

Please let me know how...

Know how to what? If you have an iPhone it is there under the picture, all you have to do is scroll along to the 'square' option ...

I applied using a photo that i had taken about two years ago which i used to apply for a non immigrant visa to the US which i was denied, but didn't remember at the time of my DV lottery application otherwise i would have done another. So I'm wondering now if this would cause a rejection/problem?

Last edited:
I applied using a photo that i had taken about two years ago which i used to apply for a non immigrant visa to the US which i was denied, but didn't remember at the time of my DV lottery application otherwise i would have done another. So I'm wondering now if this would cause a rejection/problem?
You begin by informing us that you had a visa denial.Assuming that this had nothing to do with the photo, the CO will have to make a decision on whether the person on the the photos you will be carrying and the one in the DV entry represent the person in front of him as required by the instructions.Simply put, CO,s discretion will really count.My two cents worth of advice to you

@usken go, thanks for your 'Two cents', my mistake as i probably didn't explain myself adequately. The point is not my visa denial, it's the fact that I used a photo that is more than 6 months old but is exactly the same way i look today, no change, i sincerely forgot that i used that photo to apply for a US Visa a while back, what worries me is that they may have it on file. You may very well be correct, but time will tell. Thanks again.

Last edited:
They will certainly have your old photo on your file - it's no secret they keep old visa applications on their systems. One of the functions of the photo recognition software is to cross check against that database, and check if the associated application is in the same name, no overstays on associated visas etc. So I am pretty sure they will pick it up. I don't know how important they consider the recency of the photo though.

Judging by the forums, quite a few DV winners have had previous visa denials because they could not overcome the presumption of immigrant intent. That is obviously not going to be a problem for an immigrant visa. Denials for criminal records or similar would flag similar reasons for denial for the DV but those would be happening because of the criminal record, etc rather than just because of the original denial itself.

@usken go, thanks for your 'Two cents', my mistake as i probably didn't explain myself adequately. The point is not my visa denial, it's the fact that I used a photo that is more than 6 months old but is exactly the same way i look today, no change, i sincerely forgot that i used that photo to apply for a US Visa a while back, what worries me is that they may have it on file. You may very well be correct, but time will tell. Thanks again.
Yes I dwelt on photo issue only, that is why I begun by making an 'exclusion comment on the photo' as the reason for the visa denial.
As Sussie opines, how much premium the recency of a photo attracts in an interview is anybody,s guess.It is indeed explicitly stated as a requirement but it is all left to the CO,s discretion.
In your case,remember the DS 260 asks if one had ever been denied a us visa before and again that could be what Sussie was trying to explore as it is likely to attract the Co's attention a little bit.

No, I wasnt 'trying to explore' anything, I was stating that just because the guy was denied a visa before it is not automatically a problem. It depends on the reason for the denial. I stated this because people were focusing on the denial and not answering the actual question about the photo.

No, I wasnt 'trying to explore' anything, I was stating that just because the guy was denied a visa before it is not automatically a problem. It depends on the reason for the denial. I stated this because people were focusing on the denial and not answering the actual question about the photo.

Bottomine: We are not sure if recency of a dv photo will cause a rejection. Unless we hear from previous interviewees, we cannot say which way the Co,s decision will go.