• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Dv2016 a confusion was made in my last/first name,outcomes?

dv2016

Well for the dv 2014 I've made to applications and had a confirmation number by the end of the application. when I checked in may to find out if I've been selected, both of the applications were with the result of "NOT APPLICABLE" (what does that even mean?), I filled everything only once and had the word success after applying in both of them.

for the DV-2016 I've decided to use a company to fill out the forms for me because I didn't knew what mistake have I done and was preferring that a professional company will do it.

They filled my application but when I looked at the confirmation number I saw they mixed my last and first name and my even did it as a middle name. they suggested to "fix" the application by reentering with the correct last/first name details but I told them not to do so since they made it clear that it would be a second application and I thought that an immigration officer may see it as a 50% more chance to win since there is no misspelling but rather only a confusion in the name itself, for example:

Instead of it being something like this: reyna sohora (suhora), alex
they entered it as : reyna, alex sohora (suhora). How serious is this?. I'm pretty sure that reentering would be a bad idea since it's gonna looke like a double application even tho it's a little different (technically my odds are still higher to win).

what are your suggestions?
Also, what do you think would happen If i'll be selected and will come with a passport that will state everything correctly including year of birth except that confusion in the name field?

p.s=sorry for the long post, just tried to explain my situation.

Last edited:
Well for the dv 2014 I've made to applications and had a confirmation number by the end of the application. when I checked in may to find out if I've been selected, both of the applications were with the result of "NOT APPLICABLE" (what does that even mean?), I filled everything only once and had the word success after applying in both of them.

for the DV-2016 I've decided to use a company to fill out the forms for me because I didn't knew what mistake have I done and was preferring that a professional company will do it.

They filled my application but when I looked at the confirmation number I saw they mixed my last and first name and my even did it as a middle name. they suggested to "fix" the application by reentering with the correct last/first name details but I told them not to do so since they made it clear that it would be a second application and I thought that an immigration officer may see it as a 50% more chance to win since there is no misspelling but rather only a confusion in the name itself, for example:

Instead of it being something like this: reyna sohora (suhora), alex
they entered it as : reyna, alex sohora (suhora). How series is this. I'm pretty sure that reentering would be a bad idea since it's gonna looke like a double application even tho it's a little different (technically my odds are still higher to win).

what are your suggestions?
Also, what do you think would happen If i'll be selected and will come with a passport that will state everything correctly including year of birth except that confusion in the name field?

p.s=sorry for the long post, just tried to explain my situation.
Yea its a long post but necessary if anyone is to be of help to you. First, there is no doubt that your 2014 entry was flagged for double entry. Next, you should never submit two entries for the same person, even if you made the biggest mistake on the form. Now, you case has absolutely no problem. The order of names really does not matter at this stage as long as they are all your legal names. If you are selected, you will adjust the name on your visa application to match what you have in your passport.
Need I mention that there was no need using a third party to submit your entry. The instructions are clear enough and the form is straightforward for you, plus you can never be 100% sure when you have a someone else submit your entry. Do Not submit another entry. Good luck.

Yea its a long post but necessary if anyone is to be of help to you. First, there is no doubt that your 2014 entry was flagged for double entry. Next, you should never submit two entries for the same person, even if you made the biggest mistake on the form. Now, you case has absolutely no problem. The order of names really does not matter at this stage as long as they are all your legal names. If you are selected, you will adjust the name on your visa application to match what you have in your passport.
Need I mention that there was no need using a third party to submit your entry. The instructions are clear enough and the form is straightforward for you, plus you can never be 100% sure when you have a someone else submit your entry. Do Not submit another entry. Good luck.

I do understand what you mean by not counting on a third party to fill the form for me, for example i filled my tourist visa by myself and did it right. As far as the dv-2014 lottery went, I'm pretty sure I didn't fill it twice, And even if it was the case my mother's application wouldn't be not applicable as well. Obviously both of us have the minimum requirements. Regarding your answer let me get it straight, if I'll be selected I will need to fill up forms later on and be able to make the fix? How does the lottery system works exactly, does it just picks up randomly applications or it also cross checks data bases to make sure you even exist? In that case theoretically I won't even exist in the data bases because of the first/last name mismatch...

also, about my former applications... Any idea what could made them both turn-out to be not applicable??, as far as I know even the pictures were correct and as you saw in my reply I met the minimum criteria and so did my mom and it's hard for me to believe that I did the same mistake twice...(applying for the lottery four times in total).

Last edited:
I do understand what you mean by not counting on a third party to fill the form for me, for example i filled my tourist visa by myself and did it right. As far as the dv-2014 lottery went, I'm pretty sure I didn't fill it twice, And even if it was the case my mother's application wouldn't be not applicable as well. Obviously both of us have the minimum requirements. Regarding your answer let me get it straight, if I'll be selected I will need to fill up forms later on and be able to make the fix? How does the lottery system works exactly, does it just picks up randomly applications or it also cross checks data bases to make sure you even exist? In that case theoretically I won't even exist in the data bases because of the first/last name mismatch...

also, about my former applications... Any idea what could made them both turn-out to be not applicable??, as far as I know even the pictures were correct and as you saw in my reply I met the minimum criteria and so did my mom and it's hard for me to believe that I did the same mistake twice...(applying for the lottery four times in total).
The way I understood, you sounded like in 2014, you made two entries for yourself. If that was not the case and you had a confirmation for a single entry, I'll be forced to think you did not enter your info appropriately. When you make an entry, your name appears as: X, YZ. When checking for selection, the name you use is X. However, it is difficult to trace your problem because I have never heard of it in my 7 years of DV experience. If you enter the wrong info, you should be informed that you have not been selected at this time and not even as you report.
Now about DV 2016 Let us assume your name is in the order of X Y Z and on your confirmation, it appears as X,ZY. Like I said, there is no issue with that as long as all those names appear in your passport. There would have been a problem if you used a name which exists nowhere on your docs. If you are selected, you will have the choice to change the order of your names to match the order in your passport when you fill the visa application form DS260.
The application system is simply a computer program. At this stage, no humans are involved in order to avoid bias since the program is supposed to be random. The system is not interested in knowing what the order of your names are. It wants to know you followed the rules: submitted a single entry, uploaded a valid photo, filled all required fields and submitted in time. No one is interested in knowing you until you are selected and made a visa application and even then, the only person who may really be interested in you is the Consular Officer who shall interview you.

I

There was a glitch at first with the confirmation numbers as I recall. Did you only check them once or did you go back a few days later and check again? There are only I think three outcomes: confirmation number not valid, not selected letter, selected letter. It sounds to me like you may have checked during the time there were problems with the system :(

I agree with the advice above to not re-enter and should you win fill correct details on the DS260.

The way I understood, you sounded like in 2014, you made two entries for yourself. If that was not the case and you had a confirmation for a single entry, I'll be forced to think you did not enter your info appropriately. When you make an entry, your name appears as: X, YZ. When checking for selection, the name you use is X. However, it is difficult to trace your problem because I have never heard of it in my 7 years of DV experience. If you enter the wrong info, you should be informed that you have not been selected at this time and not even as you report.
Now about DV 2016 Let us assume your name is in the order of X Y Z and on your confirmation, it appears as X,ZY. Like I said, there is no issue with that as long as all those names appear in your passport. There would have been a problem if you used a name which exists nowhere on your docs. If you are selected, you will have the choice to change the order of your names to match the order in your passport when you fill the visa application form DS260.
The application system is simply a computer program. At this stage, no humans are involved in order to avoid bias since the program is supposed to be random. The system is not interested in knowing what the order of your names are. It wants to know you followed the rules: submitted a single entry, uploaded a valid photo, filled all required fields and submitted in time. No one is interested in knowing you until you are selected and made a visa application and even then, the only person who may really be interested in you is the Consular Officer who shall interview you.

Thank you for the reply, it's comforting to know everything should be good in case i'll get selected. The only thing I could think of which I could have done wrong is filling work experience in addition to my educational stats. I've been told by the third company I've hired that you need to choose one of the two but not both, putting these two together can make the application not applicable. I did do something like this but can't tell if it was on the lottery or on my tourist visa, either way I probably followed the rules, maybe something was wrong with the photo, like a face that is too big or too small, although colored and with 600x600 pixels.

anyway thanks again!

Last edited:
There was a glitch at first with the confirmation numbers as I recall. Did you only check them once or did you go back a few days later and check again? There are only I think three outcomes: confirmation number not valid, not selected letter, selected letter. It sounds to me like you may have checked during the time there were problems with the system :(

I agree with the advice above to not re-enter and should you win fill correct details on the DS260.

Are you serious?? O my god, as I recall I only tried once in the same day for both applications of me and my mother. you referring to the Dv-2014 lottery right?

I filled my applications on October 30th, 2012 and checked them in may 2013 as far as I remember.

Thank you for the reply, it's a comforting to know everything should be good in case i'll get selected. The only thing I could think of which I could have done wrong is filling work experience in addition to my educational stats. I've been told by the third company I've hired that you need to choose one of the two but not both, putting these two together can make the application not applicable. I did do something like this but can't tell if it was on the lottery or on my tourist visa, either way I probably followed the rules, maybe something was wrong with the photo, like a face that is too big or too small, although colored and with 600x600 pixels.

anyway thanks again!

These agencies are so full of nonsense. You fill in everything the form asks for. You only need one to qualify, and education is easiest if you have it, but you won't get disqualified or made not applicable for using both! Trust me, I answered all questions and now have a green card through DV...

These agencies are so full of nonsense. You fill in everything the form asks for. You only need one to qualify, and education is easiest if you have it, but you won't get disqualified or made not applicable for using both! Trust me, I answered all questions and now have a green card through DV...

Well I already paid for 3 years in advanced either way it's not that expensive for me and does save me a little time. I might cancel for next year and fill out the forms by myself but again, I don't know where did I do the mistake...when you said glitch with the confirmation numbers did you talk about DV-2014?

I do understand that the agencies are kind of nonsense sometimes especially when they do mistakes like they did with me AFTER you pay them and still, many people don't know English very well and prefer that someone else would do it or in my case hoping that something like "NOT APPLICABLE" wouldn't appear again as a lottery result and 6-7 months of waiting time. Maybe it was a glitch, maybe I did something wrong although I followed the rules, this time I just preferred to use an outsource company to do the job for me with a hope of getting a positive answer or a negative one but not the third which I mentioned before.

anyway , congratulations for winning the green card, may it happen to all of us.

Ok, I hope you have a decent agency and do not end in the same situation as the person in another forum, when the agency charged him again to give him his 1NL, and now they will not release his 2NL interview letter to him without another payment....

Ok, I hope you have a decent agency and do not end in the same situation as the person in another forum, when the agency charged him again to give him his 1NL, and now they will not release his 2NL interview letter to him without another payment....

Nah, I'm pretty sure something like this wouldn't happen with them.

I presume you were sure they would fill in your name correctly too ;). Anyway, good luck.
well people do make mistakes but as far as the application goes, I've got the confirmation page so I don't need them to continue. In addition I live in a normal country hence the reason I'm pretty sure they wouldn't do something like. If they'll do, be certain that doors will be opened with front kicks ;)

Lol. Ok, whatever a "normal" country is, where apparently you kick down doors, maybe I should keep my comments about how "normal" people can generally fill in their own forms to myself ;) .
If you don't get selected this year hope you don't have problems with incorrect applications down the line, or thinking you have cancelled but ending up with a duplicate entry as also happens. Quite frankly they seem a bit sloppy, yes anyone can make mistakes but you were specifically paying them to not make mistakes.... And then the other agency giving you outright incorrect information... but your call.

Lol. Ok, whatever a "normal" country is, where apparently you kick down doors, maybe I should keep my comments about how "normal" people can generally fill in their own forms to myself ;) .
If you don't get selected this year hope you don't have problems with incorrect applications down the line, or thinking you have cancelled but ending up with a duplicate entry as also happens. Quite frankly they seem a bit sloppy, yes anyone can make mistakes but you were specifically paying them to not make mistakes.... And then the other agency giving you outright incorrect information... but your call.

Obviously I was joking about kicking doors, But I truly believe that something like you said won't happen. We do have laws in that country and every court would make them pay for this. I completely agree that people should fill the form by themselves, I do consider my self normal and as I mentioned before, I filled my tourist visa by myself which as far as I remember was longer but the procedures with the pictures etc.. were similar. If you could just point on why did both of the applications I filled and got confirmation numbers were with the result of NOT APPLICABLE I would have done it by myself in the next time.

I'm pretty sure I didn't miss anything and the pictures were according to the rules 600x600 colored with bright background/white background and less than 246kb and yet it turned out to be NOT APPLICABLE for both me and my mother. so again, that's the reason I went to a company to hope that I would at least get not selected which would just mean that I didn't won the lottery rather than a massage that looks like I did something wrong or missed something during the filling of the forms which is highly unlikable.

P.S=you still didn't answer me, did the problem with the results system was in the DV-2014 (October 2012) lottery or in a different year. It may help me understand if the results I got were from a system error during the first days or because of my own error by filling the forms incorrectly in whatever way possible.

Last edited:
I can't remember 100% if that was the day of the glitch, no. What I do know is that the result you saw is not one of the three possible results so it's perfectly logical to assume it was the result of a glitch. If you filled in the form correctly enough for it to be accepted you would not get that as an outcome when checking for the result. The forms would be checked for duplicates before the final draw is announced (then you would just be told not selected) but any "incorrectness" that slipped through application would only be picked up on during an interview.

I can't remember 100% if that was the day of the glitch, no. What I do know is that the result you saw is not one of the three possible results so it's perfectly logical to assume it was the result of a glitch. If you filled in the form correctly enough for it to be accepted you would not get that as an outcome when checking for the result. The forms would be checked for duplicates before the final draw is announced (then you would just be told not selected) but any "incorrectness" that slipped through application would only be picked up on during an interview.

I know that it can be Selected or not Selected, What is the third option in the results?

also, I just realized that my original photo was 800x800, depth color is 24bit. I've been told the the photo has been resized to 600x600 and is less than 246kb but I did notice that the dpi is 96. I did get a confirmation number which means the photo validated but what about the dpi. I'm guessing that if you change the pixels the dpi might increase but if it still is 96dpi, would that be a huge problem for me?

The third option is that you entered the number wrong but that would give a message saying that the number is not valid... Still not "not applicable".

I don't know about the technicalities of the photo specs. I guess you need to trust that the agency you paid did the right thing.

The third option is that you entered the number wrong but that would give a message saying that the number is not valid... Still not "not applicable".

I don't know about the technicalities of the photo specs. I guess you need to trust that the agency you paid did the right thing.
ok, thanks for all of the information you provided.

FYI It is normal for the form to be LAST NAME, FIRST NAME MIDDLE NAME. Mine is the same. e.g. If your name is John Allan Smith It shows SMITH, JOHN ALLAN in the application.