June 2014 - Citizenship tracker

Ah. Thx. I went ahead and got my driving record printed out for the past 10 years. It had dates but didn't specify any violation....but it did show the number of violations and stated that I had acquired zero points (out of 12 required for ban or something), though. Hope that'll suffice.

After waiting 90 days for the interview letter (after being placed in line for interview scheduling), I called the USCIS on Oct 15. They then checked and notified the local office. 2 days later, I got an email notification saying that the interview letter has been sent out.

Service Center:Phoenix
Application Filed:16 May 2014
Priority Date:19 May 2014
Check Cashed:22 May 2014
NOA Received (I-797C):24 May 2014
Fingerprint Notice Received:31 May 2014
Fingerprints Done:11 Jun 2014
Yellow Letter: 27 June 2014
In line for Interview Scheduling: 14 July 2014
Interview Letter: 17 Oct 2014
Interview Date: 24 November 2014

Miss_chang
Yes, DO went through each question and started marking it out etc.
Basically he would have gone through the application well before in time.
No outside questions other than the 100.

NJ400
You need to apply for passport, atleast I can thankfully do that during the Oath cermony itself.
(I guess some centers hav eoath cermonties on teh day of interview itself - not sure if your confusion is due to that)
That process involves having 1 passport photograph and paying the fees for the passport - check or money order (yes no credit card).

congratulations, stinger! That was fast.

I saw a strange update on my status. Back in September (on the day that my interview letter was mailed out), there was an update on text/website status that stated they'd sent me a request for additional info - it's something I never received!. Today, it changed to them receiving my evidence (something I never sent out!). I've got an interview in 2 days and I was confused and called the 1-800 number. Luckily, the higher level authority told me that I should concentrate on my interview instead of this ambiguous status.

Miss Chang

Yes forget about the Web site status.
Do not worry about traffic fines less than 500$.
Have all your travel/residence information correct and provide it to DO if s/he asks for them.

That's it, you will come out of the interview smiling.

Thanks, Stinger. Last question, though. What do I tell DO when s/he asks if I have traffic tickets/citations? I have no speeding tickets but got 3-4 moving violations in recent years (double parking, making a left on "no left turn" signs) etc. Do I say no?

Ty. I'm hoping for the best.

Miss_chang

S/he won't ask about "traffic tickets/citations". If she asks say 'violations not exceeding 500$ fine)
S/he will only ask those questions in the application, committed crime,? not arrested? arrested? etc.

Thanks, stinger. Hopefully that's the case. I got a copy from my DMV of my driving records. Hope that'll suffice if I were 'grilled' about traffic violations of any kind .

Just got back from my interview. The entire process took less than 15 mins. The officer had me read "how many senators are there in the US?" and read aloud "there are 100 senators". Following that, he asked me civic questions - basic and straightforward :

1. What is the rule of law?
2. What's the name of the US Flag?
3. What do 13 stripes in the flag represent?
4. What ocean lies in the West Coast?
Forgot the next 2.

Following that, he went over my application form. Since I'm single, never married, arrested, etc, everything was pretty straightforward and he didn't even go through everything. I was really worried about 3-month residency but luckily, he didn't pay much attention and went into details.

He certainly went over the travel dates and verified it against my passports (3 trips lasting 233 days) but other than that, all he did was ask me questions about my allegiance and ties with other countries and criminal history.

Hopefully, I'll get Oath ceremony letter at the Oakland Office next month! (According to Paramount Theater, there's one scheduled on Nov 20!)

Congratz Miss_Chang!

I just finished my oath. Started at ~10.00 am and finished at 11.30 or so at Campbell. Scheduled time was 9.30 am.
Some 450 members attended. Visitors in Gallery. Applied for passport also there itself on teh form that was provided during interview Voter registration facility also available there.

I read parking would be a problem, and it was. Luckily I went the day before to see the place. Morning there was no parking anywhere, so I parked in the opposite aprtment complex :) open spots.

Lots of people there, but had separate lines for oath takers, so found a short line and joined. I completed the form that came with interview scheduling before hand and officer was glad I did, else people have to step aside fill it and join back the line. I filled that form the day before.

That form has same questions like in N-400 (crime commited, not/arrested, EVEN TRAFFIC VIOLATIONS) after the interview date.

Congratulations, Stinger. Did you check "no" for "have you ever been cited, arrested...including traffic violations?"
I'm starting to get anxious as if I didn't get scheduled for Oath Ceremony on the 19th next month, I'll need to cancel my trip abroad scheduled for first week of December.

Miss_chang
Yes, I answered NO because I did not have traffic violations etc AFTER THE INTERVIEW DATE.
These questions only pertain to period between interview and oath dates. Interesting they include here even traffic violations etc.

So is your oath date on NOV 19th? Else, I am not sure if you will get a passport before first week of DEC, but even with NOV 19'th will be a nano-sec photo finish. This is just my opinion, so do not get swayed by that.
I applied for expedited service (2-4 weeks instead of 4-6 weeks) and overnight delivery - costed $210 instead of $165 I think.
Also the passport form you might have got after interview has section for any immediate travel. Did you get that passport packet ? Do you have facility to apply for passport during oath?
The passport lady was saying that if you have any immediate travel, they will consider or to make appointment or something to that effect etc.

After oath, you cannot travel with old passport unless your former country allows dual citizenship - or atleast that is the case for me - After oath, my old passport not valid anymore - PERIOD.

No. the problem is, they haven't scheduled it, yet. My father and I plan to leave the country (2 month long) on First week of December. There are three Oath ceremonies scheduled in Oakland over the next 6 weeks. One on Nov 19, one on Dec 3, and one on 10. If we didn't get scheduled on Nov 19, then we will have to cancel the trip as rescheduling the Oath will really lengthen the process as there's no way they will allow us to reschedule it per our schedule.

I guess I will have to keep my fingers crossed.

We were planning on applying for expedited passport in San Francisco so that we could get it way before our scheduled trip.

Lets see.

With a DEC 19th oath date you have a very good chance to make it. If you get 19th oath date, talk to the passport guys after oath about service times and your impending travel dates. They will advise. I think the passport lady was saying something about that while collecting the passport applications. I think expedited service with confirmed travel dates should not take more than 2 weeks.

The closest Oath date is Nov 19th, not Dec.

Apparently, the passport office in SF can process the application within 5 days. In fact, I read about someone getting his passport in an hour (after showing travel itineraries and so on). At this point, our biggest priority is getting Oath letters. Here's hoping.