• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

All dv winners with EU CN 3x,xxx to 39,999 it's our time will we make it?

Just a quickie folks. I will use my friend's address as my mailing address in the US. Might even stay with him for a while after the move. Just wanted to know if it has any impact on his estate, taxes, etc. For example in the UK a single person gets a council tax discount if they are living on their own. As soon as a name is added to the address you loose the discount. Is there any negative impact that my friend can expect by letting me use his "crib" as a command centre before I find my own place ???

Nope, the U.S. tax system does not work like that, not unless he's claiming you as a dependent on his tax filing.

I finally got to apply for our ssn...the lady at the office said it will take less than two weeks to arrive.
Also, I opened bank acc at fargo well hope its good bank!?
They gave me a temporary card, they said the permanent one will arrive with a week...

I finally got to apply for our ssn...the lady at the office said it will take less than two weeks to arrive.
Also, I opened bank acc at fargo well hope its good bank!?
They gave me a temporary card, they said the permanent one will arrive with a week...

Yeah I bank with Wells Fargo - they are good!

Glad you have your SSN in process finally - those Muppets cost you some weeks!

Went to Kansas driver´s office, the lady refuse yo proceed me without ssn, but when she gave me the brochure, it says if you don't have the ssn, you must show a proof if lawful presence in the usa, I went back to her she told me no no no... that's for old people.
I explained to her again that two of my friends did without having their ssn, she denied me still.....
Its a nightmare, because I could of gotten my DL, but all the officiels thsr im dealing with in ks seems to be against me...:eek::(

Went to Kansas driver´s office, the lady refuse yo proceed me without ssn, but when she gave me the brochure, it says if you don't have the ssn, you must show a proof if lawful presence in the usa, I went back to her she told me no no no... that's for old people.
I explained to her again that two of my friends did without having their ssn, she denied me still.....
Its a nightmare, because I could of gotten my DL, but all the officiels thsr im dealing with in ks seems to be against me...:eek::(

You are experiencing the American bureaucratic sidestep...

I went back to the DL office today, and the sane lady was already not happy to see me.....she tuned me straight have yiu received your ssn? I said no!
And I told her I don't need it according to the law of kansas, than she started nodding her head, than I told her I wanna see a manager or a responsible pls..
The manager came he confirmed my right .... the old lady seemed frustrated, but than she took my file, she said I need two proofs if residence, I said I have two checks showing my name and address, she push the file back to me and said NO!
She needs two different documents.
So I wasted my petrol and time again :(

I went back to the DL office today, and the sane lady was already not happy to see me.....she tuned me straight have yiu received your ssn? I said no!
And I told her I don't need it according to the law of kansas, than she started nodding her head, than I told her I wanna see a manager or a responsible pls..
The manager came he confirmed my right .... the old lady seemed frustrated, but than she took my file, she said I need two proofs if residence, I said I have two checks showing my name and address, she push the file back to me and said NO!
She needs two different documents.
So I wasted my petrol and time again :(

Welcome to the U.S. of A!

Update
I just recieved my green cards, four of them..... but still no ssn.
Sorry vladek but I haven't followed you from the very start but gosh, having received the GC before the SSN means you are waiting for at least a month and smth, right? My cousin got the SSN last Monday after about 2 weeks in NY. Can't you use the GC for jobs, bank accounts etc? In absence of the physical SS card maybe you can get the number at the SSA at least.

Welcome to the U.S. of A!
I think the frustrations depend on the country of origin experience, the hassles are much more in some parts of the world.
I would like to ask you guys of DV 2014, did you have difficulties renting an apartment in the first /second month given that paychecks are required? Is a bank statement proof of stable incomes or you used a coosigner instead?

Sorry vladek but I haven't followed you from the very start but gosh, having received the GC before the SSN means you are waiting for at least a month and smth, right? My cousin got the SSN last Monday after about 2 weeks in NY. Can't you use the GC for jobs, bank accounts etc? In absence of the physical SS card maybe you can get the number at the SSA at least.
Yes, I've been in the US for nearly a month.
I opened an account without the ssn, snd you can do your driver's without it too..
But to work you definitely need the ssn.
Btw they refused to give me the number, they insisted that I will only get it through mail .... frustrating indeed

I think the frustrations depend on the country of origin experience, the hassles are much more in some parts of the world.
I would like to ask you guys of DV 2014, did you have difficulties renting an apartment in the first /second month given that paychecks are required? Is a bank statement proof of stable incomes or you used a coosigner instead?
I was not able to rent on my name, since I have to credit record nor renting history, so I had to ask my friend to do it for me, I just gave him the cash....